• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traveling with my flexpen (Diabetes??)

Belle1962

DIS Veteran
I leave tomorrow for the World. My levemir flex pen needs to be kept at no more than 86 degrees. I bought a soft sided cooler and a thermos. Will my pen be ok if I just pop it into the thermos with one or two ice cubes and put it in the cooler? I’ll also need to do that while in the parks. Thanks.

I leave tomorrow for the World. My levemir flex pen needs to be kept at no more than 86 degrees. I bought a soft sided cooler and a thermos. Will my pen be ok if I just pop it into the thermos with one or two ice cubes and put it in the cooler? I’ll also need to do that while in the parks. Thanks.
putting it in a thermos with a couple ice cubes risks getting it too cold.

I agree with EACarlson - a Frio pack is made for keeping things like your insulin pen cool.
IMG_2216.jpeg

Double check the instructions. Most insulin just lasts slightly longer refrigerated but doesn’t have to be kept that way. You don’t want it in direct high heat but a bag out of the sun has kept my insulin good for many years. Just double check your particular insulin as they all differ slightly.

Double check the instructions. Most insulin just lasts slightly longer refrigerated but doesn’t have to be kept that way. You don’t want it in direct high heat but a bag out of the sun has kept my insulin good for many years. Just double check your particular insulin as they all differ slightly.
The specific insulin the OP stated they use in the OP has specific instructions that state 86 degrees F. Once the pen reaches that point it begins to break down and loses effectiveness drastically.

Thanks everyone. I called my pharmacist and got her opinion. Once the pen is opened/in use it doesn’t need refrigeration /cooling it just can’t go over 86 degrees for heat.

Thanks everyone. I called my pharmacist and got her opinion. Once the pen is opened/in use it doesn’t need refrigeration /cooling it just can’t go over 86 degrees for heat.
That is exactly what the FRIO is designed for. I've used mine at WDW, Vegas and Space Coast where temps were 90+ and it kept my insulin at around 65. If you're going to have your pen in a backpack or bag the whole day in the park it could easily get above that. I'd highly recommend something insulated. You're thermos and ice idea isn't horrible but you run the risk of freezing the pen which I'm sure you know ruins the insulin. With it being Levimir, I wouldn't bring it in the park unless you really needed it. When I was on Lantus (same thing, different company) I could get by with my pen wrapped in a damp washcloth inside a zip lock for travel and then it was fine on the counter of the hotel room after that since I only used it first thing in the morning.

Yeah, Florida heat in May can get pretty bad, especially inside a bag that you're carrying around in the Parks. I was very happy with the Frio wallet. It didn't keep my insulin as cold as a refrigerator, but as others have pointed out it doesn't need to be that cold, just not hot.

PP are making work. OP asked about a levemir pen. Levemir is long lasting insilin, taken once a day. Leave it in your room.

A stainless steel water bottle, if big enough, will keep an insulin pen at room temperature for a day.

PP are making work. OP asked about a levemir pen. Levemir is long lasting insilin, taken once a day. Leave it in your room.

A stainless steel water bottle, if big enough, will keep an insulin pen at room temperature for a day.
You are assuming the OP's treatment plan. They have not shared that information. Levemir can be taken at many different points throughout the day, or multiple times a day. At one point in my treatment history, I was told to take my long acting insulin right before dinner. At another I took one dose in the morning and another 12 hours later.

I agree. No need to take it in the park with you. Levemir is once, maybe 2x a day if you you need large dosing.

You are assuming the OP's treatment plan. They have not shared that information. Levemir can be taken at many different points throughout the day, or multiple times a day. At one point in my treatment history, I was told to take my long acting insulin right before dinner. At another I took one dose in the morning and another 12 hours later.
The most common, as.per mfg, is once daily in the evening. Some take it twice a day, about 12 hours apart. Schedule permitting leave it in your hotel room

The most common, as.per mfg, is once daily in the evening. Some take it twice a day, about 12 hours apart. Schedule permitting leave it in your hotel room
I'm sure the OP is familiar with their dosing schedule and wouldn't be considering taking the pen into the parks if it wasn't necessary.

The FRIO will keep insulin (or whatever other medication) at the temp it is when inserted into the FRIO case for up to 36 hours. It won't cool something that is warmer, but it will maintain the existing temp; if you insert a pen directly out of the refrigerator it will stay cool, if you insert a pen that's room-temperature it will keep at that point. My DH has found his quite useful over the years for a variety of travel, whether overnight or day trips.

sure the OP is familiar with their dosing schedule and wouldn't be considering taking the pen into the parks if it wasn't necessary.
I can't speak for the OP, sometimes I miss an obvious solution. People on DIS discuss how to handle insulin in the parks. It's possible OP doesn't realize posters are generally discussing short acting insulin.

Agree with everyone - get a Frio made for pens. It is the way.

If you use the thermos with an ice cube in a cooler or whatever, I'd put the pen in something else first or wrap up in a washcloth. You don't want it to get too cold. We used to transport my son's insulin in a cooler with ice BUT we'd wrap in dishtowel and put that inside a plastic container and set the container on top of the ice (not in the ice). When ice is involved you can get it too cold. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter