Traveling with our Niece

LarryM

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
My wife and I are bringing our niece with us for an April trip. We are flying from PHL to MCO. I have called the airlines to see what we need to travel with her and they are not very informative. So the question I have for everyone is what would I need for us to be able to travel with our niece? Any guidance would be appreciate!

Hi all,
My wife and I are bringing our niece with us for an April trip. We are flying from PHL to MCO. I have called the airlines to see what we need to travel with her and they are not very informative. So the question I have for everyone is what would I need for us to be able to travel with our niece? Any guidance would be appreciate!
I don't think you're going to find anywhere a definitive answer. Also, the airlines won't really care, but TSA *MIGHT*.

To cover your bases, have her parents sign (and get notarized) a letter saying you have permission to take your niece with you. I would include her name, her parents names, your names, dates of travel, airline (don't do flight numbers because they may change), and where you're travelling to (the state). I think it would also be a good idea to include contact information for both of her parents (in case of questions/problems, it's in the letter what number should be called).

You can probably find forms online (google "minor travel permission form") or write your own. Also, if your niece has a picture ID, I'd bring that (don't worry if she doesn't).

97%+ chance you'll never be asked for the letter. But better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I take my niece on trips. For DCL, you need a notarized travel permission form available on their website but the airlines haven’t cared (for domestic travel. Foreign travel they would care very much) nor have the parks. My niece is young enough to not require a photo ID, so I think they may just assume she is my daughter but has a different last name. One thing to consider though is if you need to get her medical care or something in the event of an emergency - we do a notarized form from her parents for that purpose. UPS stores can notarize docs.

My niece is young enough to not require a photo ID, so I think they may just assume she is my daughter but has a different last name.
FWIW, photo ID isn't required by TSA for someone younger than 18. Once they're 18, they're an adult, so all of the letters aren't needed anyway. I still think an ID is good thing to have IF you already have one.
One thing to consider though is if you need to get her medical care or something in the event of an emergency - we do a notarized form from her parents for that purpose. UPS stores can notarize docs.
I've HEARD (on the internet, so it must be true), that if there is a medical issue, treatment centers won't do anything unless they actually talk to the guardian (life threatening issues excepted), whether you have a paper or not. But, again, the paper is an easy thing to have, and if they don't use it and want to talk to the parents, oh well.

Libraries might notarize also, and probably for free. I'd check that before a UPS store.

Banks and courthouses tend to have notaries and in these locations are frequently free of charge.

I would look up "Minor Travel Consent Form" one of those should protect you as well as establish you as the guardian for decision making while on the trip.

I don't think you're going to find anywhere a definitive answer. Also, the airlines won't really care, but TSA *MIGHT*.

To cover your bases, have her parents sign (and get notarized) a letter saying you have permission to take your niece with you. I would include her name, her parents names, your names, dates of travel, airline (don't do flight numbers because they may change), and where you're travelling to (the state). I think it would also be a good idea to include contact information for both of her parents (in case of questions/problems, it's in the letter what number should be called).

You can probably find forms online (google "minor travel permission form") or write your own. Also, if your niece has a picture ID, I'd bring that (don't worry if she doesn't).

97%+ chance you'll never be asked for the letter. But better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
I would also add medical treatment and insurance card info. hope you do not need but good to have if needed

Current RCCL form. Could easily adapt to
WDW usage. AAA has notary services, state representative’s office also

4A65E8DF-3F8B-4142-83DF-83151FECA05C.jpeg

As an FYI TSA might interact directly with your niece. They may ask her direct questions such as her name, how she knows you, where she is travelling to, and how old she is, etc. Those are all questions my DD has been asked on different trips when traveling with me or me and my wife. They are questions asked to spot child trafficking by the child's response and demeanor etc..

A medical power of attorney may not be a bad idea if it's going to be a long trip or there are any medical issues. This will allow you to make medical decisions for your niece in serious but not life threatening situations. Probably not something necessary but something that you may want to think about.

You don't need anything to fly with your niece - I do/did it all the time with my nieces and nephew who have different last names and different ethnicities.

TSA may ask her full name only to match it to the ticket, they don't care who is traveling with you.

Having her insurance card will be helpful but honestly a note for medical treatment isn't as useful as it once was. Treating staff will do everything they can to contact the parents/guardians instead.

If it makes you feel better to have documents go for it, especially if you can do it for free but I hate to see people waste money on unnecessary documents.

We have traveled with my nephew multiple times and never been asked anything. We also haven’t ever had any documentation with us.

FWIW, photo ID isn't required by TSA for someone younger than 18. Once they're 18, they're an adult, so all of the letters aren't needed anyway. I still think an ID is good thing to have IF you already have one.

I've HEARD (on the internet, so it must be true), that if there is a medical issue, treatment centers won't do anything unless they actually talk to the guardian (life threatening issues excepted), whether you have a paper or not. But, again, the paper is an easy thing to have, and if they don't use it and want to talk to the parents, oh well.

Libraries might notarize also, and probably for free. I'd check that before a UPS store.
This was NOT the case for us. My DS was on a trip from Hawaii to CA for a basketball tournament last week. He became very ill and his coach took him to the ER. All he had was a signed permission slip from us stating he could have receive medical treatment. The hospital never called to talk about anything regarding permission to treat (this was NOT a life-threatening illness). It was until I called the coach and requested to speak to the Dr. that I learned of all the tests they ran, including ultrasound and CT). The only thing the hospital needed was me to text a photo of front and back of DS's insurance card. That being said, I would definitely have some type of notarized letter giving permission to treat, etc. Better safe than sorry. I don't know if my experience was because this was a small hospital near Napa or if a larger medical center would've called for permission to treat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter