Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is also the option of keeping your dog at the Disney kennel. I’m starting to think Disney doesn’t do a very good job of advertising that they have one! Shrug.

I agree its absolutely an option. Your right though they do not market this well, it took some time researching all options before i found this was available. They are reasonably priced too.

This thread has me wondering how Disney deals with people that have service dogs and emotional support animals? I'm sure from a legal aspect they would have to accomodate them, but how is that currently run? Only certain resorts or designated rooms at all resorts? I don't know anything about the program...

Service dogs (real ones) are highly trained, well behaved, hold it longer and don't bark unless warning for owner. In a room you are likely to not even know they are there. This won't be the case with average family dogs, especially in a strange place. There will be barking, maybe chorus of barking.

Oh My, Folks! Relax!!!!!

Since everyone already has jumped to conclusions, pre-judged, etc.....

I CALLED the number provided in OFFICIAL announcement and a CM read the OFFICIAL transcript of the release. So easy to do.

-Designated Rooms ONLY in designated section of specific resorts ONLY
-Designated walking paths ONLY
-MUST be LEASHED at all times
-NO Public spaces
-NO roaming around resorts
-NO Restaurants
-NO Bars
-NO Pools
-Owners MUST present vaccination documentation
-Resorts were chosen based on their size and layout.

My guess, dear DISsers, is you probably could enjoy your Disney vacation within the bubble everyone has grown to love and will never see the furry creatures in their own little corner of the World.

Have a Magical Day!:dog:pixiedust:

This does nothing to help folks feel better. Disney has lots of rules, most of which they do not enforce. They won't enforce most of these either.

I was wondering about leaving the pet unattended in the room - the article says that they have pet daycare available but it doesn't say that guests can't leave pets in the room...just curious...

This is a sticking point. Some hotels require they be crated when you are gone. It doesn't seem to read that way, so in that case I can't believe they are willing to offer housekeeping. Not just the liability of the housekeeper getting bit etc but as the housekeeper is going back and forth to cart .. the animal escaping.

I’ve read a lot of people’s comments on this, and I seem to be the only person bringing up the fact that Disney has ON-PROPERTY KENNELS. So why are they pushing this for in-room? It’s an awful, money-hungry idea.

When I’m on vacation, I don’t want to see, hear or smell anyone’s pet.

They should have just expanded the kennel, upped the offerings. My dogs go to a very nice Pet Resort they love. Suites, private & group activity, bone shaped swimming pool, playgrounds, walking trails, ice cream, spa treatments. Runs in not looking back.

From rteez post

I was able to get some more info on the dog situation.

• This is only for canines, and not other pets
  • The add on includes Pluto's Welcome Amenity (room/dog friendly items)
  • Dogs will not be allowed in restaurants, pool areas, and recreation spots
  • Dogs must be properly vaccinated
  • This is a one year test for the moment through October 15, 2018
  • Guests can have up to two dogs in a room
  • No weight or breed restrictions
  • Guests can make CMs aware of noises dogs and then owners will be notified
  • Guests can use their own personal crate/carriers in the rooms
  • Most guests with dogs will be in a specific area of the resort
  • Guests can travel with dogs on magical express but dog must be in a pet carrier
  • There will be designated pet spaces
  • Pet medicine can be stored by Disney until room is ready
  • No travel insurance for dogs
  • If a guest does not like dogs they can be accommodated to be away from the dogs
  • They will work with guests with allergies
  • Disney is sending guests letters notifying them of the dog addition to those who are already booked
Guess you can bring 2 pit bulls or your Irish wolfhounds. "room/dog friendly items" wonder if that means old mattresses and ratty carpet. A few old pillows for them to chew on. I can imagine what the wood floors will look like at the YC.

NO WEIGHT OR BREED RESTRICTIONS? Surely they jest. :rotfl2:
Morgan & Morgan is already preparing the documents.

This was on the blog and answer .............. I can't believe if the pet is allowed to run loose in the room, that there will be any housekeeping. The liability would be huge.

It says the you will get a do not disturb sign for your door to let housekeeping know that there is a dog in the room. Does that mean that if you have a dog that you will not get housekeeping? I have had 3 dogs and vacumed everyday to keep up with the dog hair.

Linda on October 13, 2017 at 2:13 pm

• Hi Linda, our housekeeping process will remain the same with this option. We will continue to provide quality service to our Disney standards at each of the resorts.

Thomas Smith on October 13, 2017 at 4:03 pm

It is EXACTLY this attitude that concerns me. I will not spend THOUSANDS of dollars to vacation with entitled dog owners who don't care about the impact that their pets have on others. :scared:

Meh, I wouldn't call it entitled. I call it literally not caring about anybody but my family/myself and do whats in their best interest. Not concerned with Sally from down the hall who I'll never see again in my life.

Let me preface this with the following: I do not own a dog. I do not own a cat. I'm a weirdo and own parrots.

I'm genuinely torn on this. On the one hand, I never stay at the any of the listed resorts so unless the "pet-friendly" program extends to BC or BCV - it doesn't impact me. On the other hand, I see a whole host of problems with this.

1.) Do we know if anyone that has one of the four resorts booked during this year long trial run, received any sort of notification from Disney? I would be highly irked if I had a reservation at one of these resorts and this new policy was rolled out without alerting me, as a member of my family has a really severe fear of dogs after suffering a horrific dog bite when they were younger. I genuinely feel for those of you who have a reservation at one of these resorts and a member of your family (or yourself) have an allergy or fear of dogs or whatever the case may be. The roll-out is really quick and seems chaotic.
2.) It's no secret that Disney is not the best at enforcing its "rules." Think about how many times you see someone smoking in an area not designated as a smoking area. CMs can't be everywhere at once to enforce every rule. I'm curious how some of the "rules" for this program will be enforced.
3.) Who decides if a dog is "well-behaved?" What factors into this determination? How long the dog is able to stay quiet? If they listen to commands? I'm probably being too anal about this, but this whole "well-behaved" bit is really curious to me.
4.) What happens if a dog gets spooked/excited while walking and nips at someone?

I believe there are many responsible dog owners, and there will be many families with dogs that abide by every rule - meaning no issues for other guests. I believe there are many irresponsible dog owners, and people will complain about incessant barking or piles of poop that someone didn't clean up. So I'm torn.

The only thing I am certain of is that first and foremost, Disney is a corporation and if they find a new way to make money? They will do it.

Survey shows about 85% are against this. Maybe if everyone who currently has reservations called & demanded to be moved to another moderate (like FQ) & let it be known they don't want to stay in a hotel with dogs & for the rest, just don't stay at POR in the future...think they would get the idea?

I don't have dogs, but do like them. I'm fine with this if they enforce the rules. I don't want to hear a dog barking continuously in a room while the owners are out, don't want to be in a room that has had a dog in it, and don't want to see dog crap around the resort.

What about occupancy rules? If the occupancy is already at the max in the room with people, will people also be allowed to bring their two dogs as well on top of that? :confused3 Sure hope not!

Since there are no size restrictions ............ aka my 70lb dog is a very large child so should count towards occupancy ........ especially since if I brought her she would be sleeping in a bed.

If a barking dog is disturbing other guests the option of kenneling Fido or depart early ( without refund) will further increase profits. Am I being too cynical?

Ahhhh ............. planned surplus income due, setting folks up. [insert evil cackle]

I don't have dogs, but do like them. I'm fine with this if they enforce the rules. I don't want to hear a dog barking continuously in a room while the owners are out, don't want to be in a room that has had a dog in it, and don't want to see dog crap around the resort.

Disney doesn't enforce rules or worry about harmony between guests, whether at park or hotel, if it means they have to engage with a guests who is creating the negative situation.

Meh, I wouldn't call it entitled. I call it literally not caring about anybody but my family/myself and do whats in their best interest. Not concerned with Sally from down the hall who I'll never see again in my life.

Forgive me, but that's practically the textbook definition of entitled.

en·ti·tled
inˈtīdld,enˈtīdld/
adjective
  1. believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

Since there are no size restrictions ............ aka my 70lb dog is a very large child so should count towards occupancy ........ especially since if I brought her she would be sleeping in a bed.

Sounds like you better sign her up as an adult under the Disney Dining Plan. No cheaping out and signing her up as a child. ;)

Survey shows about 85% are against this. Maybe if everyone who currently has reservations called & demanded to be moved to another moderate (like FQ) & let it be known they don't want to stay in a hotel with dogs & for the rest, just don't stay at POR in the future...think they would get the idea?

I honestly think they really don't care. Even if people vote with their wallets and not book (how many of us here will REALLY do that?), they'll fill up the rooms one way or another.
Sometimes I really wonder why I'm so loyal to Disney with absolutley no love back. :rolleyes:

I agree its absolutely an option. Your right though they do not market this well, it took some time researching all options before i found this was available. They are reasonably priced too.
That’s what confuses me, why didn’t they take this opportunity after the hurricane to advertise it? SMH

That’s what confuses me, why didn’t they take this opportunity after the hurricane to advertise it? SMH

They definitely dropped the ball on that. They have really nice amenities there but obviously I would prefer to have them with me and under my care that's why the resort thing is so appealing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter