• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely understand if one doesn't agree with even looking at the FB reactions that's fine as you don't have to agree with me but I thought I would put this out there since I mentioned the DIS FB page. For Disney's official post on FB there are over 10K comments that I'm not about to go through and try to see if it skews more negative than not but yes there are positive and negative and neutral (which honestly I hadn't even thought to mention that aspect before as far as comments go).

So as far as likes there are 12,000. There are 3,500 loves, 831 wows, 126 angry faces, 37 laughing and 26 sad face and 3 flower emjoi (yeah that's weird I admit). If we again remove the wows but also remove the laughing (as that could be negative or positive) and the flower emoji (we'll say that's a neutral I guess) you would have:

15,500 positive reactions followed by 152 negative reactions.

I'll stress yes this is non-verbal take it with a grain of salt, etc.

The hysteria over this is kind of amusing. You'd think they just announced that every guest at every Disney hotel is required to bring a dog with them going forward. All the Universal hotels allow dogs. I've stayed at several of them and never even seen a dog or heard anyone complain about a dog. Let's wait and see how this gets implemented before proclaiming the sky is falling because dogs will be allowed at like 5% of the Disney hotel rooms.

A few years ago, I checked my family into the beach club and noticed the room was ice cold and had the smell of male cat pi$$. I thought..couldn’t be so I didn’t tell my wife. When she arrived, she noticed the smell within 15 seconds.
Disney deep cleaned the room(whatever that means) and the smell never went away during our stay.
I narrowed the location down to the hall entrance. The pet missed its owner and had to go.. not the pets fault.
To get rid of the urine odor, the exact spot Has to be located and cleaned. We love Disney, but one of the areas that has slipped over the past years is housekeeping. We’ll see how this unfolds, but I think its going to be a problem due to poor housekeeping.
A lot of the refurbished rooms have removed carpet and installed vinyl type flooring. It’s much easier to clean up after a pet with this new material.

That is because the blog is not allowing all of the comments to be posts. Here is my comment and a screen print from back when it was waiting for moderation. But it never made it through.

View attachment 277461

I have nothing of value to say related your post or the topic of this thread, but I just wanted to say your screen shot made me smile. Twitter, Touring Plans, KTP, DIS, WDW, Disney Parks Blog. Disney multi-tasking at its best!!! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

I have been wondering if this was a regional or area thing, in general. We have said for a few years now that we were surprised that WDW has not tapped into the pet-friendly market. I’m not in FL, but in my area, no one I know either really well or casually has a problem with pet-friendly hotels even if they don’t plan to bring their dogs. Until this thread, I didn’t realize that such a large portion of the population was so allergic or phobic of dogs. Cats I knew. I realize that I do not know enough ppl to be representative of the general population, but I have never known anyone in my life (and I’m almost 40) who was allergic to or phobic of dogs. I obviously knew they existed but assumed it was rare. I was generally shocked that so many ppl were outraged by this & surprised to see that so many ppl are allergic or phobic.

Allergies come in many forms. I have a dust mite and mildew allergy. Go figure, I’m from Florida. Like you I was aware of people with cat allergy but I was made aware of dog allergy from the news. Our past President’s daughter wanted a dog but was allergic. That is why they have a Portuguese Water Dog. Apparently the are allergy proof. There are a few breeds that are great for people that want a dog but have health issues.

As with most other large topics this thread isn't the only one out there. If we look at comments I have seen those in favor of the new policy be trampled down as far as their opinions being heard here on this thread. Not everyone by any means but there have been quite a few of "I'm in favor of this because.." only to have multiple people come right back at them and say "but but but" and then those people tend to have left the thread.
I was actually afraid to post my pro-dog opinion when I did because it looked like the thread was primarily anti-dog comments going on back and forth.

I have posted or commented here maybe more than once...We are DVC and there is not much on that board about the dog issue....Of course not..it hasn't happened as yet....BUT I did just get a call cause i e mailed the higher up bosses and DVC and told them how much our family was against this policy...We do at times pay for hotels on Dis property...just cause.......
Anyway i expressed my concern she was polite and i was too...but stated my case!!!!!!!

Let me preface this by saying that I in no way advocate for changing diapers on the same surface where people are eating. It's totally unacceptable.

However, as long as the diaper isn't poopy, it's probably actually not all that unsanitary. Diapers absorb liquid very well, and I can whip a wet diaper off my kid and have a fresh one on him in no time, and no waste comes into contact with anything (me, him, the changing table, etc.). Heck, I even keep poopy diapers contained 99% of the time (hopefully I'm not the only mom with an occasional accident in this area!!).

It sounds like they're checking the vaccination records for the dogs, but it says nothing about fleas, ticks, etc. Plus, dogs could be relieving themselves directly onto the carpet or furniture. While changing a diaper on a table is gross, I actually think dogs in hotel rooms could pose a greater threat to human well-being.

Your preface is worthless here. You still delved into changing a diaper on a table. And compared it to a hotel room that would be deep cleaned. Come on.

People have been talking about phobias here. I have them, too. It's unfortunate, but it's not for Disney to control. Disney can't make decisions based on everyone's phobias.

I have nothing of value to say related your post or the topic of this thread, but I just wanted to say your screen shot made me smile. Twitter, Touring Plans, KTP, DIS, WDW, Disney Parks Blog. Disney multi-tasking at its best!!! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes
I didn't even realize that when I copied the page, it copied that stuff as well. Oops.

Yes, I am currently planning our "Running away from Irma" trip scheduled for January.

Oh and I am knitting some fingerless gloves to keep my arthritic hands warm while driving my scooter.

Yes, my life is very boring.

This move seems like something that would make more sense at Disneyland...which is yet to enact the policy. At Disneyland everything is close enough together and a short walk back to the resorts that running back to your room to check on Fido is much more plausible. I wonder why they didn't try it there first?
I did think about that but could it be that compared to WDW DLR just doesn't have enough resorts?

I mean DLR has 3 actual resorts whereas WDW has many more.

Your preface is worthless here. You still delved into changing a diaper on a table. And compared it to a hotel room that would be deep cleaned. Come on.

People have been talking about phobias here. I have them, too. It's unfortunate, but it's not for Disney to control. Disney can't make decisions based on everyone's phobias.

My preface isn’t worthless at all. I wanted to make it clear that I don’t condone the behavior. But changing a wet diaper anywhere is highly unlikely to actually spread any germs. A dog relieving itself on the carpet or furniture? Definitely could. A tick or flea ridden dog sitting on the carpet or furniture? Definitely could.

As has been pointed out multiple times on this thread, Disney’s idea of “deep cleaning” and the average person’s idea are vastly different. I don’t consider crumbs, etc. left behind to be even an average clean, let alone a deep clean.

I think it's a great idea. I lived in Germany for a decade, and in Germany and Austria, dogs are allowed to go anywhere (hotels, restaurants, shops). With maybe a few exceptions, the only dog-free areas are grocery stores and gas stations. In my experience in Europe, dogs were never a problem or a nuisance.

I think it is a very valid point that irresponsible dog owners may not clean up after their pet. This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. However, overall I don't think Disney's allowing dogs at hotels is going to make as much of a difference to guests without dogs as some people in this forum seem to believe.

Of course, this is all based on my own experience living in a country where allowing dogs in public places has proven not to be an issue. Maybe it would be different in the US.

This move seems like something that would make more sense at Disneyland...which is yet to enact the policy. At Disneyland everything is close enough together and a short walk back to the resorts that running back to your room to check on Fido is much more plausible. I wonder why they didn't try it there first?
My thought is b/c they only have 3 hotels so then they would take out 1/3 (if they did 1). Think the allergy/phobia outrage may have been even worse. I know there have been arguments about why POR is such a huge deal. But, for the majority of ppl (excluding families of 5) there are plenty other choices.

My preface isn’t worthless at all. I wanted to make it clear that I don’t condone the behavior. But changing a wet diaper anywhere is highly unlikely to actually spread any germs. A dog relieving itself on the carpet or furniture? Definitely could. A tick or flea ridden dog sitting on the carpet or furniture? Definitely could.

As has been pointed out multiple times on this thread, Disney’s idea of “deep cleaning” and the average person’s idea are vastly different. I don’t consider crumbs, etc. left behind to be even an average clean, let alone a deep clean.
That’s IF it’s just a WET diaper. If it’s more than that & the child has been sick it could absolutely make ppl sick.

I think it's a great idea. I lived in Germany for a decade, and in Germany and Austria, dogs are allowed to go anywhere (hotels, restaurants, shops). With maybe a few exceptions, the only dog-free areas are grocery stores and gas stations. In my experience in Europe, dogs were never a problem or a nuisance.

I think it is a very valid point that irresponsible dog owners may not clean up after their pet. This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. However, overall I don't think Disney's allowing dogs at hotels is going to make as much of a difference to guests without dogs as some people in this forum seem to believe.

Of course, this is all based on my own experience living in a country where allowing dogs in public places has proven not to be an issue. Maybe it would be different in the US.

You would have to admit germans follow the rules to the letter. They even put fill lines on glasses of beer to signify a serving. People at wdw will say I’m paying $50 for someone to clean up after my pet

On our February 2013 trip the flu hit hard. My family was spared thankfully, but I witnessed more adults and children than I can count hacking away in the parks and on us. An injury took us to urgent care, and there were multiple flu cases there, too.

People spread germs. Lots of them.
I guess that’s my point. It’s the nature of being in public. We will be exposed to germs. It is what it is. I get sick almost every time I go to WDW. Excluding ppl with allergies, it is very unlikely that anyone will be sick from contact with a dog...even urine or feces. It’s gross, of course, but you’re much more likely to get the flu or a stomach virus from a person you come in contact with.

I wanted to update my situation. I'm gobsmacked. I got a call from guest relations saying that "George" forwarded my email to their team and wanted them to re-accommodate us. So, we are now booked at beach club for the same price as what we had booked at POR. I cannot believe it. I literally cried when they called. I'll admit, I feel guilty that they surely won't be able to make this change for everyone, but for my group this is a trip-saver! I'm very, very thankful to those at Disney who made this happen for us. PIXIEDUST TO THE MAX!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter