• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I didn't say you can't challenge it. In fact I've said multiple times people should feel free to voice their dislike to Disney but also their like of the new policy.

When you said words like 'expense' to me it doesn't really make it actually better..it makes it worse to me.

But likewise I still enjoy your posts even if we don't agree :)

Clear as mud both ways, then! But happy to agree to disagree. We'll never all see things the same way or understand each other fully. (Where would the politicians be if we could?! ;);))

ETA: On each side there are people who think the other ...a bit selfish (for want of a better word); I don't think most of us are really. We just have different perspectives and have got caught up trying to untangle misinterpretations and mis-perceptions (not even agreeing what those are, LOL).

Now, (really!) time (for me) to stop staring at screens and, maybe, have a "dog thread detox"!!! And, definitely time for me to bury the hatchet. ...Karaoke?

Enjoy your vacations everyone!

Last edited:
So I'm thinking if I had never been to WDW and was researching a possible visit and saw this thread - "Disney doesn't care about customers", "Disney just wants to part me from as much of my money as possible with uncharges and add-ons", "Rooms aren't cleaned well even without dogs in them", "Disney doesn't enforce any rules", "WDW is populated by unruly guests and now wild dogs", and so forth and so on - my thought would be why do I even want to go to such a dreadful place?

Of course since we are all long time WDW visitors here, the answer is obvious to us, but first-timers might be scratching their heads about what we see in the place.

I keep thinking, if this new deal goes through, then what? I agree with what was said by a poster last night, just build a big kennel on property or at each resort. I'm sorry but a poor dog in a strange room, strange sounds, different scents, anything out of the ordinary for the dog, isn't right. I just don't see how Disney will manage all of this, as I stated it takes maintenance forever to come to a cabin to replace something.

10 days til Disney!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of dogs.........
giphy.gif

Also dvc member and stockholder here......and one of those that hopes policy fails. Adore my two Pembroke welsh corgis but trust me between the barking if anyone walks past our house, and insane amount of shedding, no one wants any part of them on vacation.

We also have two Pembroke Welch corgis, and I've already informed them they will have to be content looking at our photos, because no way would we consider bringing them ! We board them at corgi camp( their breeder) and they have fun hanging with their stumpy brethren.
I am still trying to figure out why I'm so against this new policy, and I guess it is because Disney does not seem to have a handle on the rules and regulations, and I worry that even when and if they get them clarified , they won't be adhered to or enforced. Makes me sad.

I agree the term "entitled" is provocative rather than constructive and, therefore, best avoided!

M C-M, Your last comment raises, I think, a key cause of the argument. Trying to explain the win/lose perspective of this new policy doesn't mean that people on the "win" side aren't being considered. The thing is the win/lose argument is centered on the point that that people getting to take their dogs to those resorts are being considered more! :D ...You can't really explain that without saying it! o_O :D ...Previously, I could enjoy a walk around the cabins at FW or the grounds of POR as could the dog-owners even without their pets and now I can't, whereas dog-owners can now enjoy it more. That 's not allowing the equal rights to our vacations that we previously enjoyed. ...Hence, people are upset at the loss. And it adds insult to injury, when it's claimed we're considering the other side less by pointing this out.

But in the large scheme of things, there are always those that get to enjoy something "more" than another group. Those that are too short or large to ride certain rides (whether due to age or size), those that preferred Maelstrom over the new Frozen attraction, those that missed out on certain rides during their vacation due to weather or construction, etc etc. Most of that is just unfortunate timing (and most would agree that the roll-out on this policy was extremely short and unfair to those with pre-existing reservations), some due to just plain progress and keeping up with the times, but it also boils down to probably one thing - money. Disney is certainly not afraid to take on a new revenue stream from a potential new customer base.

As previously stated by many, with any decision, there will always be those for it and those against it, and those with louder and passionate voices compared to others who are more quiet and reserved about it. I was initially against it as my son has pet allergies, but I'm better with it now - but that's only because I am hoping that Disney makes good on their efforts regarding deep cleaning requests while enforcing the rules and procedures around the new dog policy. Big assumptions, I know.

Pet-owners have always been able to enjoy all the resorts and can still pick any resort and enjoy a stroll. You can still go to the Poly, just without your dog. My family, now, can't go to POR or FW at all. It's not the same thing.

Being able to bring your dog is a want, being able to breathe easily (physically and emotionally) is a need. Becoming more inclusive for animals is becoming less inclusive for some humans. That IS a loss, whatever way you paint it. I love animals (and wish I didn't have to avoid some of them), but Disney was built for humans first and foremost. It would be fairer if dogs were catered for as an extra.

(There's nowhere else spacious and green in the same way as POR and FW, which would explain why Disney picked them (CBR and CSR aren't the same at all, especially at the moment), so it doesn't mean I still have a huge choice. In those, terms there wasn't a huge choice before!)
Not everyone is talking about "breathing". Some have said they just don't like it. For some of us, it's more than just a "want" albeit not compared to breathing. It's dismissive to just simplify someone bringing their dog as just a "want". And, I said if I bring my dog, I can't stay at Poly. Obviously, I know I can if I don't. Some ppl CAN'T stay in certain resorts b/c they can't afford it. Does that mean WDW she make ALL accommodations to fit everyone's different price ranges? There have always been reasons that ppl CAN'T stay in certain resorts or enjoy certain things that WDW offers, now there is just another. It's not more inclusive of animals. It's more inclusive for PPL w/ animals. We are still ppl so the "humans are more important than dogs" argument doesn't hold, IMO. Maybe there is a family of 5 who now will stay at POR rather than off site or at Universal b/c they needed to bring their dog for some reason. So for that family, it is now MORE inclusive. I honestly don't care what resorts WDW wants to include. But, I think if it were other resorts other ppl would just be upset instead.

Every time they call me they tell me that they may be recording the calls. Maybe we should record them on our end as well, lol.

I am sure this was meant to be funny, but just in case someone actually does this - check your state laws to see if you are required to get the other party's consent before recording them.

ETA: Even though one could argue that them notifying you that they are recording the call is the same as consent for you to also record the call, that may not necessarily be enough.

And again...all of those other things have literally nothing to do with what I quoted you on and what I responded with.

It was a simple response to a simple quote. Again I wasn't commenting about the poll numbers because that's not what your comment that I quoted about. I was commenting on the number of people who feel comfortable speaking. If you were strictly about the poll numbers then there's no need to even comment about the number of people commenting who support it but you did comment on the number of people commenting who support it or have no issues with it and I responded.

But the poll numbers are relevant. The overwhelming majority of people who responded are against this. In all likelihood, people are not speaking up because so few people support this. Not because they don't feel comfortable doing so.

My other thoughts, I'll reiterate.......I think more people either don't care to respond because they have no real opinion one way or another, or they are choosing not to respond about how they really feel if they are in favour of this policy because they're being sensitive to the issues that others are having.

A message to all those with a neutral view on this policy change. Those with the wait and see approach.

Do you think in a year's time after the trial is over and Disney has made $s from this service they won't consider rolling out to the other resorts?

Also in a year's you decide you don't like it. Will Disney care about your opinion after they start to make $ and everything has been implemented?
Respectfully, do either of those questions actually matter though? That's almost like a guilt trip for those who have the neutral or wait and see approach.

As I mentioned in a comment on the prior page I believe yeah we do have to understand Disney may expand to other resorts and what they means for those who are now only limited in a sense of 4 resorts going away. It's a very real possibility. Not one stemed in emotion but one of realism. I personally said I would be even more sympathetic towards those than I am currently.

And as for caring about your opinion? Regardless of whatever Disney does, whether it's a new policy, a new add on extra ticket cost thing, or anything else means you could feel like Disney doesn't care about your opinion. But pleasing everyone is never going to be in the cards.

But the poll numbers are relevant. The overwhelming majority of people who responded are against this. In all likelihood, people are not speaking up because so few people support this. Not because they don't feel comfortable doing so.

My other thoughts, I'll reiterate.......I think more people either don't care to respond because they have no real opinion one way or another, or they are choosing not to respond about how they really feel if they are in favour of this policy because they're being sensitive to the issues that others are having.
I'm sorry I don't believe I said they weren't relevant but they weren't what we were talking about. My goodness it's like you are deliberatily diverting the discussion here away from what I was specifically talking about. Respectfully we'll agree to disagree here.

So I'm thinking if I had never been to WDW and was researching a possible visit and saw this thread - "Disney doesn't care about customers", "Disney just wants to part me from as much of my money as possible with uncharges and add-ons", "Rooms aren't cleaned well even without dogs in them", "Disney doesn't enforce any rules", "WDW is populated by unruly guests and now wild dogs", and so forth and so on - my thought would be why do I even want to go to such a dreadful place?

Of course since we are all long time WDW visitors here, the answer is obvious to us, but first-timers might be scratching their heads about what we see in the place.

I would suspect that they would become informed of the situation with the new policy and come to their own conclusions. Unfortunately, people are all too used to reading negativity and divisiveness in the press. (I know I'm tired of it)

There is more negativity on this thread because it just so happens to be a policy that the majority of responding Dis'rs don't like. I suspect we would be having similar negative discussions if Disney were to implement a 10% ticket price increase next year. The majority would hate the idea, while there's always those few who say, "Great, less people will go! I can easily spend the exrta $$$, so I'm happy to see less people in the parks" :D

There are great threads that are biased towards the very happy about WDW as well. One of my personal favorites being "What keeps you coming back?" :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Dan

I'm sorry I don't believe I said they weren't relevant but they weren't what we were talking about. My goodness it's like you are deliberatily diverting the discussion here away from what I was specifically talking about. Respectfully we'll agree to disagree here.
Nope. I believe they are relevant to exactly what we were talking about. You either don't understand or don't agree with my point of view. That's fine.

In terms of my approach, and I am sure similarly for many others, any and all violations of Disney's dog policy (as it stands on any given day) will be swiftly reported. I would think it prudent for anyone bringing a dog to have contingency plans in case they are required by Disney to immediately leave the resort due to any such violations.
So you are worried a dog is going to slightly inconvenience you on your vacation so your response is to spend your vacation time diligently monitoring them for any violations you can report? Sounds like a good time.

Sorry but my dog will not after 10 hours alone in a room wait for me to walk them to the designated pee area. He will pee on the first post, tree, pole, bush or stationary person he finds when I take him out of the room. THAT is why I will not support this. The dogs are going to be peeing everywhere, not just in the designated area. The whole resort is going to smell like dog.

I think the issue still remains that their booking system is unclear and I guess if a guest who booked a Royal room twelve months ago wanted to bring their dogs and they ring and ask they are likely to be told yes. Let's hope they say no to future bookings like that but It would still appear anyone could book and then After booking, nearer the time, phone to register they are bringing their dogs. It seems a slightly flawed system

In all of this, has Disney revealed what their enforcement measures will be ? Will fines be assessed for people exceeding the time limit on an unattended dog ? Will repeated violations of the rules lead to eviction ?

Sorry but my dog will not after 10 hours alone in a room wait for me to walk them to the designated pee area. He will pee on the first post, tree, pole, bush or stationary person he finds when I take him out of the room. THAT is why I will not support this. The dogs are going to be peeing everywhere, not just in the designated area. The whole resort is going to smell like dog.
I honestly don't expect the amount of dogs to be overwhelming, I expect it to end up being like most dog friendly hotels...most guest have no idea it's dog friendly until they randomly see a dog one day.

Even if my dogs need to go really badly I can have them heel until we are at an appropriate relief area...if they try and stop to go before then I would correct them and speed up...accidents and badly trained dogs going in other areas is easily addressed by using deodorizers as needed and of course on a normal basis in the relief areas.

Does anyone have information regarding dogs being allowed on the walkway to DHS, the walkway around the lake, or the beaches in front of the BC? I spoke to someone but not sure if I'm getting correct information as she sounded unfamiliar with the BC & BW area.

Yes, and as a owner of male dogs, I totally agree with this. Dogs will absolutely be peeing on railings, fences, and garden areas of these resorts. A male dog who really needs to go often times cannot hold it while he gets to the "designated" area. He wants to go and mark asap. I just feel like a Disney vacation costs way too much money for these types of things to be considered a new normal. We adore our dogs, but to carry out their daily routines at a family resort that costs, typically, a minimum of 3k per stay? No thanks.

Example for supporters of the new dog policy who don't understand why many don't like the change to the new Disney dog policy. Imagine you and your significant other have a favourite resort that happens to be adults-only and that there is no such other comparable resort for you at that price. You enjoy the qualities that may be present in such a resort. Then imagine that management of that adults-only resort suddenly declares it immediately open to children, including during your long-planned upcoming trip. Your adults-only resort wouldn't be anywhere near the same anymore, would it? Now let's imagine that the children now allowed iBut not just any children: children who will poop everywhere outside, children who may give you a nasty bite, and children who may flare up your allergies. I don't visit adult-only resorts as I have children, but I wanted to give this as an example. There are differences in atmosphere and relaxation between adults only and family resorts, just as there are differences in atmosphere and relaxation between a non-pet and a pet resort, particularly since Disney will be allowing dogs everywhere all over the resorts including public areas (except for restaurants & pools). The new dog policy is not a little change, it is a huge change.
I would find a different resort to go to if it bothered me that much. They are a business that can make any changes to their policy that they want. Just because you like a resort doesn't mean you are entitled to continue to go back there without any changes you don't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter