• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think closing the thread at this point is a good idea at all. So many people are (rightly or wrongly) passionately interested in any developments, and the current status seems to be very fluid and changing daily.

I agree the same points are getting repeated again and again, and there is quite a bit of unjustified knee-jerk (sorry about the pun) paranoia scattered in amongst some legitimate concerns, but if you are not interested in the topic you can simply unfollow the thread, it's not hurting anyone by being here.

Andre

I am interested in the topic and am open minded enough to read others thoughts and have a conversation. I also say if someone doesn't want to read my postings there is an ignore button. I have never "ignored" someones posts as again if if I disagree with another's thoughts/suggestions I am open minded enough to read/listen. When we start to ignore an opposing view We stop learning and growing.

Did anyone who was already booked at these rooms ever get an email from Disney stating that this change was being made? I just made our reservations for March 2018 a couple weeks ago, before this dog policy was announced. If it weren't for the fact I'm checking on Disney news headlines and checking these forums I would have never known about it. I think that's what upsets me the most, that they didn't even bother to inform me about the change. I am also not happy to learn the response I got from Disney to my complaint email was a form letter that everyone else seems to have gotten too. It's obvious Disney doesn't care.

We have reservations for Oct. 28th (we are annual passholders) and got nothing from Disney about this policy. I contacted a CM at Fort Wilderness and my husband emailed. He got a canned response and then a CM called him, wanting to know if we wanted to move or upgrade, he told her we had tons of Halloween decorations and we'd just keep our stay at the Fort. I honestly think the CM's were over whelmed with phone calls as the young lady at the Fort told me they'd only found out a few days prior to my call. Truth be known, I personally think the announcement should've been made long before implementing this policy.. PS.. We found about this also at WDWinfo..

9 days til Disney!!!

Last edited:
We have reservations for Oct. 28th (we are annual passholders) and got nothing from Disney about this policy. I contacted a CM at Fort Wilderness and my husband emailed. He got a canned response and then a CM called him, wanting to know if we wanted to move or upgrade, he told her we had tons of Halloween decorations and we'd just keep our stay at the Fort. I honestly think the CM's were over whelmed with phone calls as the young lady at the Fort told me they'd only found out a few days prior to my call. Truth be known, I personally think the announcement should've been made long before implementing this policy..

9 days til Disney!!!

I will look forward to reading your report since we have really have no on the scene information on how this trial is impacting guests.

I don't think closing the thread at this point is a good idea at all. So many people are (rightly or wrongly) passionately interested in any developments, and the current status seems to be very fluid and changing daily.

I agree the same points are getting repeated again and again, and there is quite a bit of unjustified knee-jerk (sorry about the pun) paranoia scattered in amongst some legitimate concerns, but if you are not interested in the topic you can simply unfollow the thread, it's not hurting anyone by being here.

Andre

Completely agree with this.

I will look forward to reading your report since we have really have no on the scene information on how this trial is impacting guests.

giphy.gif

I sure will be reporting back, should be very interesting but I'd bet with such short notice, there won't be many dogs, if any, around us but we shall see.. :cool1:

No Disney says you have 30 min to resolve it. You can call WDW as soon as it starts. And I think many ppl have posted about the whole hosts of things that have awakened them on previous trips that have nothing to do with dogs.
I don't get the comments like this at all.

There are already things at the resorts that can wake you up. So yes, please, let's add more?

I get it..many of us don't have children for a reason--we don't want to live with them; on vacation or off.

Talking with friends today about this policy and the questions brought up about dogs being on beds and damage to carpets, one brought up what I think is a good point....she worries about what "intimate relations ", incontinence , sickness etc. has happened on the beds and carpet from adults and kids. Along with what people have done with the towels....hmmmm...

Yep. Plenty of bodily fluid potential in hotel rooms. Not great, but hard to avoid.

So the answer is "let's add some animal fluids to the mix"???

Yes, I know this is all Disney's fault for trying to implement this so ludicrously quickly, and without prior gathering of guest opinion, but at the moment they are fire-fighting an indignant wave of guest reaction (or in a few cases, over-reaction) and seem to be creating new policies on the fly.

But I don't think this program was created out of malice or intent to annoy guests, it was more that after Irma someone saw a guest service (OK, perhaps money-making too ;) ) opportunity that they weren't exploiting.

Andre

Their best bet, frankly, would be to announce a suspension of the policy and go back to the drawing board to retool it, with more care and input from guests, rather than adjusting on the fly....

I don't get the comments like this at all.

There are already things at the resorts that can wake you up. So yes, please, let's add more?
Guess I see it like what’s one more. And you can do something about the dog. Most of the other things we just gotta suck up.

It's not abuse. If a dog is going to jump on a person, the person just lifts up their leg with the knee bent in front of them. They do not kick the dog or knee the dog. The dog is the one making contact, and instead of getting your chest to jump on, they only get your knee. The dog will not like it and therefore will learn very quickly that jumping on people is not pleasant. This is a well know training technique.

Yep. We learned this when we took our Newfie to training.

How is the 30 minute rule to get back to your room going to work when your dog is at is at Port Orleans and you are at Extra magic hour at Magic kingdom till 1am trying to leave and your dog is barking at the resort. It will take you at least 1.5 hours to get back, Uber , cab, resort bus etc.... Answer this question

Even on ADRs they write "Give yourself 90 minutes to get anywhere on property"

Yep. Plenty of bodily fluid potential in hotel rooms. Not great, but hard to avoid.

So the answer is "let's add some animal fluids to the mix"???

And while the human accidents are definitely possible dogs have normal behaviors that are frankly pretty gross. Ever see how a dog scratches their itchy butt? They drag it along the carpet. And it's common enough they have a cute little name for it "scooting." I was already pretty grossed out by hotel carpeting as it was but the thought of dog scooting on the carpets now...I can't even think about it without gagging.

And complaints across this board (and most others it seems) already tend to indicate housekeeping has gone downhill so adding more the mix definitely seems an odd choice.

Their best bet, frankly, would be to announce a suspension of the policy and go back to the drawing board to retool it, with more care and input from guests, rather than adjusting on the fly....

For Disney to change course it is unfortunately a complaint numbers game. They have received a lot of complaints but not enough for them to reconsider their new policy. If we use social media to spread the message and also contact websites, vlogs, blogs etc to show a lot of people are not happy.

How is the 30 minute rule to get back to your room going to work when your dog is at is at Port Orleans and you are at Extra magic hour at Magic kingdom till 1am trying to leave and your dog is barking at the resort. It will take you at least 1.5 hours to get back, Uber , cab, resort bus etc.... Answer this question

That is a very good question to ask Disney Management.

WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com
And cc these folks too:
Robert.a.iger@disney.com
Robert.Chapek@disney.com
George.Kalogridis@disney.com

This raises the question : what are the enforcement measures ? We all know that removal is the ultimate penalty for serious violations, but what about lesser offenses ? What is done to the owner that addresses the problem of a barking dog in 60 minutes as opposed to 30 ? What about the dog owner that walks a dog at dawn around restricted areas of the resort ? If minor offenses aren't swiftly addresed that will likely lead to progressively more serious offenses. The question remains, what enforcement measures will Disney World employ to compel strict compliance with the rules ?

I agree. If offences under the new dog policy are not strictly enforced, including minor offences, some people with dogs will likely try to "push the envelope" on the rules for the sake of their own convenience. Like someone else here wrote, people may ignore some of the rules regarding their dogs and think "nobody stopped me so Disney must be okay with it". I can't imagine there will be a lot of extra Disney Cast Members around to enforce the dog rules. But if Disney is concerned about saving money on its staff expenses, it could fire every executive involved in the approval of the crazy new dog policy.

Until this new dog policy is repealed, Disney needs to be prepared to expel guests who violate the dog policy rules.

Last edited:
I am interested in the topic and am open minded enough to read others thoughts and have a conversation. I also say if someone doesn't want to read my postings there is an ignore button. I have never "ignored" someones posts as again if if I disagree with another's thoughts/suggestions I am open minded enough to read/listen. When we start to ignore an opposing view We stop learning and growing.
I have read every post so far. (Seriously). There is a lot of information here to learn and share. I really hope they don't lock this thread.

Guess I see it like what’s one more. And you can do something about the dog. Most of the other things we just gotta suck up.

I hear what you're saying - there's a policy of 30 minutes, so there's an avenue to address it. But for some reason, I feel like in a lot of cases it might be tougher, but that might just be me. I previously posted about my concerns, since I'm traveling alone with a 10 yo - if there's no one in the room I don't want to have to hoof it to the lobby with her in tow, but if the owners not in the room, I may have to do that.

I feel like most hotels have noise restrictions/ordinances - whether they follow through may be spotty. I remember when we went to a hockey tournament in Lake Placid, there were unruly hockey kids EVERYWHERE (I'm sure my kid fit that description at times)- some stuff was tolerated, some was not - the time guideline for noise disruption (10pm or something), definitely was in this instance, but they seem to let most hallway hockey games proceed, lol.

I used the baby example before - I don't like to listen to crying babies either (don't miss that part of the baby days), but I feel like the parent is there hopefully trying to quiet the baby. Another example - we were in a hotel in VT when my son was an infant (the now hockey player), and he became ill. Middle of the night and I could not quiet him, I felt terrible. Someone complained and management told me that I had to vacate the room - not the hotel, just the room, until I could quiet my son. My husband and I roamed around the conference area of the resort for hours, and I think we all feel asleep in a conference room at some point - ahhh, good times! Come to think of it, that's probably why I give parents/babies the benefit of the doubt because I'm sure they don't want to listen to it either after a long day.

I agree, though, you have to deal with a lot of challenging behaviors from your resort neighbors at times and sometimes it tough to address...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter