• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In response to people thinking Disney won't expel people: As far as I know, Disney has expelled at least one group in the past. Some of the teams from Pop Warner back in 2007. However, I agree that the odds of them kicking out someone over anything related to this pet policy-unless a dog actually bites someone (and then I can see them simply saying "it's between you and the dog owner") is a non-starter. My guess still is: lousy housekeeping, no enforcement of their own policy-especially as the confusion over the policy seems to be among CM's themselves, placing people in pet friendly rooms regardless of requests, and other issues you just normally have with dogs.

Edit: just found out they expelled two teams in 2008 (fighting)

From Orlando's Channel 13:

Kids Thrown Out Of Disney
Monday, December 10, 2007 12:02:09 AM

A group of young athletes was kicked out of Walt Disney World in the middle of the night Saturday.

Disney made the decision to kick out three teams participating in the Pop Warner Super Bowl competition -- two from Hawaii and one from Baltimore -- because of a fight between some of their athletes.

According to Disney, the policy written for group packages states everyone will be forced to leave even if one member of the party is involved in a violent act on property.

However, parents said the way they were treated just wasn't right.

"They could have handled it so much better, you know? They really could have. They could have said look you know what? Fine, you guys have to leave in the morning. Then our babies. We have one year old, two year old, three year olds, that we had to just jerk out of bed and they were just crying. You know it was just a bad scene. It was really a bad scene," said Labryanna Kubo, a parent traveling with the Hawaii team.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office is still investigating the incident.
Just recently 3 soccer players were removed from Epcot..
ORLANDO, Fla - The Orange County Sheriff's office said Orlando Pride star Alex Morgan and two MLS soccer players were ejected from Disney Oct. 1.

I think the first logical place to test this would have been the Cabins. They're freestanding so that eliminates some of the bark potential (example, dogs won't hear people walking overhead) They have a bit more space. They can accommodate a car as I suspect many people who choose to do this will be driving to WDW. FW already has a dog run and people are used to dogs there because of the camping sites. They also have laminate flooring already.

You know I was on a Backstage Tour March 2016. The guide related at story about a contest to name the solid waste used at Disney. The winner was mystic green, however some cute Disney titles were submitted. They could use them as theme for pet resort. There was Mary Poopins, Winnie the Pooh Poo, and Zipadee doo.

I think it all depends on the roll-out and ensuring that all of Disney Mgmt and CMs have a clear knowledge of the policy and rules, both inside and out, combined with a concrete plan for how to enforce things if rules are broken. If they are too lenient at the beginning, that sets the stage for "looser" enforcement down the line. But if they are fairly strict from the start, especially in regards to repeat offenders, maybe the message will get out that they are serious about punishing those who like to openly skirt the rules. Tone at the top, as it were.

I mean, if a doggie has an accident because it couldn't get to the relief area one time? Not a HUGE deal. But if the same dog continues to have the same accident 5 days in a row because their owner spent 6 hours and 59 minutes away from the room each of those days? That's different.

I have my doubts, when it comes to Disney being a good watchdog (ha!) when it comes to this new policy. But it also might not even be an issue!

I think it all depends on the roll-out and ensuring that all of Disney Mgmt and CMs have a clear knowledge of the policy and rules, both inside and out, combined with a concrete plan for how to enforce things if rules are broken. If they are too lenient at the beginning, that sets the stage for "looser" enforcement down the line. But if they are fairly strict from the start, especially in regards to repeat offenders, maybe the message will get out that they are serious about punishing those who like to openly skirt the rules. Tone at the top, as it were.

I mean, if a doggie has an accident because it couldn't get to the relief area one time? Not a HUGE deal. But if the same dog continues to have the same accident 5 days in a row because their owner spent 6 hours and 59 minutes away from the room each of those days? That's different.

I have my doubts, when it comes to Disney being a good watchdog (ha!) when it comes to this new policy. But it also might not even be an issue!
That was one of the issues I brought up in my email...enforcement. I used smokers as an example and the issues I've had over the years with enforcement at the resorts and parks. As you can see from my signature it is an important issue to me. Second was the inconsistency of their placement of dog rooms, etc. Also, about what pesticides do they use for flea and tick control. That reminded me too of heart worms in dogs. Mosquitoes are a big problem here in Fl. We have had a lot of rain this "wet" season. I hope all dog owners have their dogs on meds. for heart worm prevention.

It's a can of worms. But If you think about how some people have shown their displeasure (both verbal and non-verbal) of other people of various characteristics in our past and in our current times you might see a bit more of what I mean. And it's a variety of characteristics. The line of thinking that because enough people dislike you or your habits, loathe things about you and you're just not welcomed you should go where you can be around like people is what I meant by like things. *Please be aware I'm not speaking directly about you but more about how that earlier statement can be used in actual real life not just about not liking dogs being allowed*
Whoa, are you actually comparing people's discomfort with (or distaste for) dogs to racism? I doubt that people and groups that have fought very hard for equal rights and standing would appreciate being compared to dogs.

As long as we've been staying at the Fort, the only dogs we've seen have been around the campgrounds, not the cabins. I respectfully disagree that the cabins would've been the logical place to test this policy. Why? Personally, the cabins are close, squeezed in area, you can very well hear the kids' (which it's ok as they are all excited) yelling and screaming so loud barks would be heard by others. Knowing how people are that think the rules don't apply to them, well they'd let them potty where the heck they wanted too. We've been on the golf cart headed to the boat and have seen with our own eyes people walking their dogs and NOT picking up their do-dah, close to the Meadow Trading Post. It's amazing how braver people get the darker it gets- oh no one can see me, LOL .

Oh, they don't monitor what goes on in the campground, like the rules for golf carts- out the window, let the 6 yr old drive, text while driving, speeding vehicles come up behind the cart like MOVE.. and we pull over. People get in their comfort zone and do what they want, when they want so to me, it will be the same thing when the doggies start arriving and it sure isn't their fault.

Last edited:
Whoa, are you actually comparing people's discomfort with (or distaste for) dogs to racism? I doubt that historically maligned people would appreciate being compared to dogs.
Actually no I wasn't but if you read further on in the thread you'll see my comment with a bit more explanation especially regarding your compared to dogs aspect to which that wasn't what I was doing.

I was at a movie premiere and was unable to answer the poster as quickly as I was earlier in the day. Thus you'll have to read a bit further for my response.

Zero confidence in Disney's ability to manage this!!! When I think of the blind-eye Disney turns on so many behaviors , for example, kids throwing food in signature restaurants, running around the other patrons, crawling under the tables... Disney has never wanted to say ANYTHING to those families! Disney will do almost anything to avoid confrontation! They don't seem to care about the families who are having their dining experience (usually costing several hundreds of dollars) ruined by other patrons. They will say, "We apologize, but we're not able to say anything." If you have spent much time on the dining page, you will see these stories! What makes anyone think that Disney will actually do anything to the families vacationing with a disruptive pet (other than give the complaining family an apology, a shoulder shrug and a few fast passes)? As for me, I have ZERO confidence in Disney in this regard! Disney is wonderful when things are going well! Disney is horrible when dealing with complaints about misbehavior! I remember watching two Pop Warner teen boys brawl, punches flying (with their fellow players encircling them, cheering them on). This was in the food court area of CBR. The Disney CMs looked tiny, helpless and just let it go on. The list goes on and on: line cutters, parade pushers, smokers not in the permitted area, etc...

In response to people thinking Disney won't expel people: As far as I know, Disney has expelled at least one group in the past. Some of the teams from Pop Warner back in 2007. However, I agree that the odds of them kicking out someone over anything related to this pet policy-unless a dog actually bites someone (and then I can see them simply saying "it's between you and the dog owner") is a non-starter. My guess still is: lousy housekeeping, no enforcement of their own policy-especially as the confusion over the policy seems to be among CM's themselves, placing people in pet friendly rooms regardless of requests, and other issues you just normally have with dogs.

Edit: just found out they expelled two teams in 2008 (fighting)

From Orlando's Channel 13:

Kids Thrown Out Of Disney
Monday, December 10, 2007 12:02:09 AM

A group of young athletes was kicked out of Walt Disney World in the middle of the night Saturday.

Disney made the decision to kick out three teams participating in the Pop Warner Super Bowl competition -- two from Hawaii and one from Baltimore -- because of a fight between some of their athletes.

According to Disney, the policy written for group packages states everyone will be forced to leave even if one member of the party is involved in a violent act on property.

However, parents said the way they were treated just wasn't right.

"They could have handled it so much better, you know? They really could have. They could have said look you know what? Fine, you guys have to leave in the morning. Then our babies. We have one year old, two year old, three year olds, that we had to just jerk out of bed and they were just crying. You know it was just a bad scene. It was really a bad scene," said Labryanna Kubo, a parent traveling with the Hawaii team.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office is still investigating the incident.

The fact that you had to go back 10 years for an example really supports my point.

Actually no I wasn't but if you read further on in the thread you'll see my comment with a bit more explanation especially regarding your compared to dogs aspect to which that wasn't what I was doing.

I was at a movie premiere and was unable to answer the poster as quickly as I was earlier in the day. Thus you'll have to read a bit further for my response.
Got it. I'm pressed for time too so I'll make a point to go back to check for that post later.

And, while I haven't been called out on it yet, I apologize for bringing "racism" into the discussion. I'm a conservative white female and have no business speaking on behalf of other classes of people who have fought for equal rights and access. My reference to racism was meant as an example (should have read "things like racism and discrimination of federally protected classes" but, as I said, I'm a bit pressed for time! :)

The dog rules at not being enforced at the campgrounds. People are bringing their dogs into the store and swimming pool. I have read all loops have dog feces and it smells.

I'm sorry but I have to come out of lurkdom after however many years of reading the Disboards to say this is just plain false. Keep in mind I do not travel with dogs so I'm not team "Dogs should go everywhere". I have been going to Fort Wilderness for 5 or so years now. We go 2 or 3 times a year and stay a minimum of 7 days each trip. I go back in the beginning of November for 9 days. I have never, ever seen piles of dog poop at Fort Wolderness. Not ONCE. So these people who are saying otherwise are either lying or have the worst luck in the world. Not once have I seen a dog in the stores or at the swimming pool.

I've always said in situations like this that people would rather be "right" than "happy". The ones that are vehemently anti-dog just because you don't like them are going to actively look for a reason to be angry. Honestly, give it a month and all of the uproar will be over. I would be surprised if you saw even one dog your entire vacation.

Instead of allowing dogs in 4 different resorts, alongside regular guests, why not just convert one of them to an all dog-friendly resort all the time. This way it is confined to one resort and you have a choice whether or not to stay there. Or better yet, with all the property left, build a brand new dog-friendly resort with a doggie day-care on site for people who will be in the parks all day. Wouldn't this make more sense and make everyone happy ??
I think those of us who like this idea would like nothing more than this!

I hope people continue to email and make phone calls all throughout the year. I would hate for Disney to get all of this negative feedback this first week and then nothing else throughout the year. You bet they would disregard all of the complaints if they don't continue.

I'm saving my letter for a few months from now.

So if you still dislike this policy in the coming months please right again. They need to continually hear the complaints or they will spread this to more resorts.
Personally I doubt this. I think ppl will complain now & in a few weeks move on to the next big outrage on social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter