Tried the Magic, just got off the Fantasy - a comparison

mlayton14

DIS Veteran
Tried the Magic back in early 2014 after the Reimagination. Just got off the Fantasy a few weeks ago so I thought I would give my take in comparing these two ships for those that might be interested, or havent been on both classes of ships

I will start by saying that the service, food quality, and Live Entertainment on the ships was very similar, nothing stood out as being better on either (they were both great) .

Atrium - the first thing you see when entering, and a focal point of gathering/meeting , etc. Much larger and much nicer on the Fantasy. The Magic atrium was small and rather claustrophobic in comparison. Seeing the old design of the Magic online I have no idea why they redesigned it, it looks like they were trying to simulate what they did on the Dream class ships.. Whatever the rationale, the newer ships designed a space that we was a nicer place to spend time in even if just waiting in line for dinner or an event. Much more of a wow factor.

Restaurants - see comments on Atrium. Overall they are larger and the theming is much more Disney than the areas on the Magic. Cariocas on Magic - ok. Lumieres on Magic - nice but still yawn. Enchanted Garden on Fantasy- absolutely beautiful. Royal Court - Very nice. Animators palette on the Magic - nice. AP on the Fantasy - taken to the next level with more imaginative lighting and little decorations lining the walls. Cabanas - comparable on both ships. Pool Deck quick service - comparable but the Fantasy was much more spacious overall even with the larger number of people.

Rooms - identical from what I could tell.

Adult Lounges/Nightclubs - again, much more variety and nicer ambiance on the Fantasy. After Hours on the Magic = ok. The Tube = really cool. Skyline Lounge, Meridian, La Piazza, and Ooh La La on the Fantasy - nothing comparable on Magic with very nice theming. Keys (Magic) = nice place and no such offering on Fantasy (except Atrium live music which was nice). Irish Pub - comparable. Didnt spend a ton of time at night here , but had several daytime activities in the area and appreciate these additional spaces.

Adult Area Pool deck- contrary to some posters on here I think the Fantasy again wins hands down. The Magic has basically one semi enclosed area with a decent size pool but a very limited number of chairs to sit, but thats it (not counting Cove Cafe which is on both ships). The Fantasy has 2 decks - one semi enclosed area with a pool that was a bit small but nice , but another whole one-quarter of a deck full of lounge chairs, an outside bar, and Satellite Falls water area, and of course beautiful ocean views everywhere you look on this second deck.

Adult dining - didnt do on either ship so cant comment.

Family Pool deck - overall I think love that they opened this up on the Fantasy, as opposed to the smaller separate areas on the Magic class. It was very crowded on Sea Days, but no more crowded than the Magic. The Magic Mickey pool was pretty weak - they made it smaller to make room for water play area and the larger water slide (which is nice). The Magic did have the AquaDunk which we didnt try.However the addition of Nemo's Reef, Aqualab, Funnel Puddle, and of course the AquaDuck on the Fantasy gave our kids many more options - they loved it !

Other activities - Minigolf - was fun and not offered on the Magic. Midship detective agency - kids never got around to playing this but there were always kids playing it when we passed by which they seemed to love. Kids also like the animated artwork around the ship on the Fantasy

Kids Clubs - comparable on both ships. Fantasy larger space and more high tech, but kids really didnt have a preference one way or the other.

Castaway Cay - I hear people say its much more crowded when Fantasy docked there, we only noticed it when they first started serving lunch and thats it. Had no problem finding a lounge chair anytime we wanted.

General Vibe - very similar, but again the public spaces on the Fantasy were just bigger and nicer (including the Walt Disney Theater and Buena Vista theater) which you would expect given 15 years in between building the ships. The ship really seemed to accommodate the additional number of people well on the ship, and then some.

Can you tell which ship we liked better? LOL Different strokes for different folks for sure. We enjoyed our Magic cruise, but after being on the Fantasy it would be hard for us to go back other than maybe for the more unique itineraries or when the main live shows turn over to new ones. Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited:
Tried the Magic back in early 2014 after the Reimagination. Just got off the Fantasy a few weeks ago so I thought I would give my take in comparing these two ships for those that might be interested, or havent been on both classes of ships

I will start by saying that the service, food quality, and Live Entertainment on the ships was very similar, nothing stood out as being better on either (they were both great) .

Atrium - the first thing you see when entering, and a focal point of gathering/meeting , etc. Much larger and much nicer on the Fantasy. The Magic atrium was small and rather claustrophobic in comparison. Seeing the old design of the Magic online I have no idea why they redesigned it, it looks like they were trying to simulate what they did on the Dream class ships.. Whatever the rationale, the newer ships designed a space that we was a nicer place to spend time in even if just waiting in line for dinner or an event. Much more of a wow factor.

Restaurants - see comments on Atrium. Overall they are larger and the theming is much more Disney than the areas on the Magic. Cariocas on Magic - ok. Lumieres on Magic - nice but still yawn. Enchanted Garden on Fantasy- absolutely beautiful. Royal Court - Very nice. Animators palette on the Magic - nice. AP on the Fantasy - taken to the next level with more imaginative lighting and little decorations lining the walls. Cabanas - comparable on both ships. Pool Deck quick service - comparable but the Fantasy was much more spacious overall even with the larger number of people.

Adult Lounges/Nightclubs - again, much more variety and nicer ambiance on the Fantasy. After Hours on the Magic = ok. The Tube = really cool. Skyline Lounge, Meridian, La Piazza, and Ooh La La on the Fantasy - nothing comparable on Magic with very nice theming. Keys (Magic) = nice place and no such offering on Fantasy (except Atrium live music which was nice). Irish Pub - comparable. Didnt spend a ton of time at night here , but had several daytime activities in the area and appreciate these additional spaces.

Adult Area Pool deck- contrary to some posters on here I think the Fantasy again wins hands down. The Magic has basically one semi enclosed area with a decent size pool but a very limited number of chairs to sit, but thats it (not counting Cove Cafe which is on both ships). The Fantasy has 2 decks - one semi enclosed area with a pool that was a bit small but nice , but another whole one-quarter of a deck full of lounge chairs, an outside bar, and Satellite Falls water area, and of course beautiful ocean views everywhere you look on this second deck.

Family Pool deck - overall I think love that they opened this up on the Fantasy, as opposed to the smaller separate areas on the Magic class. It was very crowded on Sea Days, but no more crowded than the Magic. The Magic Mickey pool was pretty weak - they made it smaller to make room for water play area and the larger water slide (which is nice). The Magic did have the AquaDunk which we didnt try.However the addition of Nemo's Reef, Aqualab, Funnel Puddle, and of course the AquaDuck on the Fantasy gave our kids many more options - they loved it !

Other activities - Minigolf - was fun and not offered on the Magic. Midship detective agency - kids never got around to playing this but there were always kids playing it when we passed by which they seemed to love. Kids also like the animated artwork around the ship on the Fantasy

Kids Clubs - comparable on both ships. Fantasy larger space and more high tech, but kids really didnt have a preference one way or the other.

Castaway Cay - I hear people say its much more crowded when Fantasy docked there, we only noticed it when they first started serving lunch and thats it. Had no problem finding a lounge chair anytime we wanted.

General Vibe - very similar, but again the public spaces on the Fantasy were just bigger and nicer (including the Walt Disney Theater and Buena Vista theater) which you would expect given 15 years in between building the ships. The ship really seemed to accommodate the additional number of people well on the ship, and then some.

Can you tell which ship we liked better? LOL Different strokes for different folks for sure. We enjoyed our Magic cruise, but after being on the Fantasy it would be hard for us to go back other than maybe for the more unique itineraries or when the main live shows turn over to new ones. Feel free to ask any questions.
Thanks for the review. One thing I noticed between the two classes that I really like better on the Dream class ships is the hallways on the cabin decks. The wood walls are so much nicer than the white walls of the Magic class.

I fell in love with cruising on the Fantasy so I'm sure she'll always be my favorite, but with a 94% "Love It" rating on cruise critic I'm certainly not alone.

I've been on both too (Fantasy 2012 and just off the Magic). Maybe it's because I first fell in love with DCL on the classic ships several years ago but I prefer the smaller ships. They are easier to get around and just feel more friendly to me. I do prefer the Aquaduck to the Aqua dunk (although both are fun) and loved the animated artwork and Midship Detective agency on the Fantasy. Service is great on both ships though and the Fantasy is beautiful. Still my heart is with the classic Magic!

I've been on both too (Fantasy 2012 and just off the Magic). Maybe it's because I first fell in love with DCL on the classic ships several years ago but I prefer the smaller ships. They are easier to get around and just feel more friendly to me. I do prefer the Aquaduck to the Aqua dunk (although both are fun) and loved the animated artwork and Midship Detective agency on the Fantasy. Service is great on both ships though and the Fantasy is beautiful. Still my heart is with the classic Magic!

I'm with you there. The Magic felt more personalized to me, and the service was better. It was a big change in the feeling of size from the Fantasy for sure, though. But I'm a person that tends to prefer "smaller" arenas anyways. I'm sure some of it comes down to personality and preferences outside of cruising.

Is it fair to say that the Fantasy is usually significantly more expensive than the Magic? I've only been on the Dream but will be on the Magic next week. I look forward to checking out and comparing the adult pool area on the Magic, as I was very disappointed with that area on the Dream. It felt small to me and always seemed to have children passing through it.

Is it fair to say that the Fantasy is usually significantly more expensive than the Magic? I've only been on the Dream but will be on the Magic next week. I look forward to checking out and comparing the adult pool area on the Magic, as I was very disappointed with that area on the Dream. It felt small to me and always seemed to have children passing through it.

From what I've seen the magic is only marginally cheaper if you are comparing same itineraries. Maybe a few hundred dollars on a $5k cruise

Perfectly said.

Thanks for your review but it seems like you were already heavily slanted towards the Fantasy so I would say this isn't exactly an objective review. I haven't been on the Magic yet but heard it's spectacular.

Thanks for your review but it seems like you were already heavily slanted towards the Fantasy so I would say this isn't exactly an objective review. I haven't been on the Magic yet but heard it's spectacular.

You are probably right about being slanted , liked the entertainment, food, service on the magic but was pretty underwhelmed by the ship itself

yes there is a big difference, at least my experience with the Wonder, I felt it after going on the Dream but our experience was still magical... I am an anti-crowd person so booked Magic over Fantasy but eager to get on the big ship again in 2017. Funny I am litterally watching Dream Cruises and watching Allure of the Seas on RC, yikes wow what a boat!

... I look forward to checking out and comparing the adult pool area on the Magic, as I was very disappointed with that area on the Dream. It felt small to me and always seemed to have children passing through it.

It's the same way on all DCL's ships with the adult pool area due to the deck design. The Fantasy does have the addition of Satellite Falls, however. Kids aren't allowed up the stairs to that area.

It's the same way on all DCL's ships with the adult pool area due to the deck design. The Fantasy does have the addition of Satellite Falls, however. Kids aren't allowed up the stairs to that area.
But they can go upstairs above the Cove Cafe to the Funnel Puddle wading pool. That's not adult only.

I've sailed both as well. Magic in April 2014 and Fantasy Feb 2015. I felt like I had more personal service on the Magic. On the Fantasy our servers were way more rushed and we didn't have as much personal attention. We liked the hot tub lay out on the Magic better because at night we could sit in the hot tub and watch the movie. You can't see the movie on the Fantasy from the hot tubs.

Also on the Fantasy they would close the main pool for a few hours at night which was a huge bummer for us. We didn't experience that on the Magic but maybe that was a new policy for all ships?

We did like AP more on the Fantasy and I LOVED the rain forest room. Spent lots of time there on the Fantasy. I also prefer the aquaduct to the aquadunk. I did ride both although it took a lot of bravery to do the aquadunk. My 12 year old loved both and liked that he had less of a line on the Magic.

My eldest son preferred the teen space on the Fantasy... in the Edge they get times where than hang out at the teen pool as well.

In my head they are a tie. If it is a first cruise I'd do the smaller ship first then move on to the bigger one next. That is how we did it and I'm glad that we did. But I can understand the allure of a larger ship.

I have been on both as well, and initially I thought I was in the "classic ship all the way" camp, but as time has moved on and I remember what I liked about the Fantasy, I would say I prefer the Fantasy. One thing I really preferred on the Fantasy over the Magic was the Rainforest Room. I loved sitting in the sauna room that is all glass and view the ocean going by. Plus the hot tubs have views to the ocean, as well as the heated tile loungers. Overall the Fantasy is much more open and I prefer to see the outside as much as possible. I agree with the OP in nearly all areas. other than we traveled without kids, so can't comment there. I also agree with ForMyBoys that as a first cruise, I would recommend the Classic ships to get a feel for things, but then move on up to the Dream class. Both are an amazing experience.

Opinions are subjective. I have been on all 4 ships, and the Magic is BY FAR my favorite. There is a MARKED difference on Castaway Cay with almost half the people. The Magic is smaller, and carries 1/2 the people, so of course the atrium is smaller. For ME... the Adult pool area on the Magic wins hands down. The Fantasy pool seems smaller and more crowded for me. I also like how the kids pool and children's area is divided on the Classic ships. On the large ships, it seems more chaotic with just ONE big area for the 2 pools.

Just MHO.... To each is own - We all have our favorites!.... and BTW... The Magic is AWESOME! I can't wait to see Tangled next week!!!

But they can go upstairs above the Cove Cafe to the Funnel Puddle wading pool. That's not adult only.

That is not reached by the stairway to satellite falls. The wading pool is on the main deck, which is open to everyone. When we have been on the Fantasy the wading pool had adults sitting in it, so there weren't any kids around.

Doesn't the Dream also have Satellite Falls now?

And yes, Satellite Falls is actually two decks above (on Deck 13) the Quiet cove pool which is on Deck 11.

MJ

Last edited:
That is not reached by the stairway to satellite falls. The wading pool is on the main deck, which is open to everyone. When we have been on the Fantasy the wading pool had adults sitting in it, so there weren't any kids around.
My brain is bad - I thought I remembered that Satellite Falls and the Funnel Puddle were on the same deck. Sorry.

Funnel Puddle area is not adult only, so kids are allowed there. The forward area on deck 12 is Satellite Falls and is adult-only.

Just to add my opinion regarding the small vs big debate...

We have done the Dream and the Wonder. While we greatly enjoyed the Satellite Falls area on the Dream, we found the service on that ship to be less friendly than the service we experienced on the Wonder. We also found the lines for character meets VERY VERY long. I don't recall that on the Wonder. Granted that was before they discontinued Mickey Mail, so maybe that is the difference? I realize there are many more people on the Dream and that contributed to the lines as well. We definitely noticed heavier crowds on Castaway (both at Serenity and Family Beach).

I thought dining was similar and décor was close enough not to sway me, but I'm in the camp that prefers the classic ship. In our very limited experience, the staff seemed so much more genuine and helpful on the Wonder. Lots of smiling and kind chit-chat on the Wonder. We also much preferred less people in the lines and on Castaway. But, ahhhhhhh, Satellite Falls, was heavenly! AMAZING :)

But, hey, you are on a Disney cruise, so there is happiness everywhere.

We are giving Fantasy a try next year, so I'm looking forward to trying another big ship and seeing if the service is any different. We are hoping to do a Magic trip in 2017.

No matter what, a day on a Disney ship is better than a day at the office.

Happy cruising everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter