• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip in May - Food Opinions

Jaminpower10

Earning My Ears
I am running the Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon with some friends in May, and am taking my Mom and younger brother (21) with me for the trip. It will be both of their first trips to the park, so I am hoping to hit a lot of the big things as who knows when my mom will get back out to Anaheim.

Our current plan is:
Thursday - go to Downtown Disney, Trader Sam's, and dinner somewhere in the resorts/downtown.
Friday - go to Disneyland with a reservation for Blue Bayou for dinner (Pirates is one of my mom's favorites)
Saturday - go to DCA and eat dinner at Ariel's Grotto
Sunday - Run the race, and do a Mother's Day brunch buffet at Goofy's Kitchen before flying out that afternoon.

What am I missing or not thinking of for a great place to eat?

Thanks for the input!

Thursday - go to Downtown Disney, Trader Sam's, and dinner somewhere in the resorts/downtown.
Friday - go to Disneyland with a reservation for Blue Bayou for dinner (Pirates is one of my mom's favorites)
Saturday - go to DCA and eat dinner at Ariel's Grotto
Sunday - Run the race, and do a Mother's Day brunch buffet at Goofy's Kitchen before flying out that afternoon.

This is just my opinion, so take that for what it's worth. :)

Thursday - Make a reservation for Catal. Everything is good on the menu.
Friday - It's a staple. You have to do this!
Saturday - trade in Ariel's Grotto for Wine Country. Food is much better and if the Pixar Play Parade is back on (not sure), you can watch it from the outside area while eating if timed correctly.
Sunday - Goofy's Kitchen is about on par with Chef Yucky's at WDW. If you want to do something special, see if you can get into the Afternoon Tea at Steakhouse 55 at noon right when they open. If not, Carnation Cafe is really fun on main street. You can watch all of the happy kids coming into the park while you eat. I just don't want you to spend $40+ for old food and poor character interaction.

Thanks for the reply!

I will definitely look into Catal. Was thinking there or Napa Rose, but given the pricy dinner at Blue Bayou i wasn't sure.

And for Sunday, we fly out at 2pm and don't have park admission so I didn't think we could get into the park for a meal so we are limited in the options. Was down to Goofy's Kitchen or the PCH Grill, given the location/variety and my need for lots of food after running.

I would do PCH Grill over GK on your departure day. Or skip the characters all together and have a delicious breakfast at Steakhouse 55.

Last edited:

My two cents...

For both of your non-park meals, I'd highly recommend either Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen (DTD )or Storyteller's (GCH).

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen often has live music in the evenings and have outdoor tables which are great for people watching. They also have a very good Sunday brunch menu (if you're not necessarily tied to having a character meal). The food is outstanding and I thought the portion were pretty good in size.
http://www.rbjazzkitchen.com/menus_display.php?id=243

Storytellers features a buffet at both breakfast and dinner (at dinner they also have a la carte menu). At breakfast, they have characters (mostly commonly a few woodland-themed characters (e.g., Chip & Dale, Koda & Kenai, and Meeko)), but no characters at dinner.

I totally agree with figment. Ralph Brennan's and Storytellers are both fabulous. I would definitely nix Ariel's Grotto, and Goofy's is OK but nothing spectacular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter