Trip Insurance that specifically covers denied boarding

Just get the cancel for any reason coverage. In the end, it's worth it.
This. The insurance companies have so many crazy loopholes that this is the only way to make sure that ANY situation is covered. But even then, many policies have a "except for the 48 hours right before the trip" loophole for cancel for any reason. It's a racket, IMHO.

This. The insurance companies have so many crazy loopholes that this is the only way to make sure that ANY situation is covered. But even then, many policies have a "except for the 48 hours right before the trip" loophole for cancel for any reason. It's a racket, IMHO.

Exactly, I inquired about this and cancel for any reason no longer applies once your trip has begun, so it would definitely not help in a denied boarding situation.

Exactly, I inquired about this and cancel for any reason no longer applies once your trip has begun, so it would definitely not help in a denied boarding situation.

Can't you exclude the portion of your trip that precedes the day of ship boarding? You can choose the coverage for JUST the cruise. Then, if coverage begins on departure day, wouldn't a denied boarding the same as your doctor telling you you can't travel?

Can't you exclude the portion of your trip that precedes the day of ship boarding? You can choose the coverage for JUST the cruise. Then, if coverage begins on departure day, wouldn't a denied boarding the same as your doctor telling you you can't travel?

No, trip cancellation ends the same date your trip begins. Even if you put embarktion date as the beginning date of the cruise (and give up all of your trip delay/travel delay coverage), it would still no longer be in effect as of that date. Its only for advance cancellations. The moment you leave it becomes a "trip interruption" Its all in the fine print.

No, trip cancellation ends the same date your trip begins. Even if you put embarktion date as the beginning date of the cruise (and give up all of your trip delay/travel delay coverage), it would still no longer be in effect as of that date. Its only for advance cancellations. The moment you leave it becomes a "trip interruption" Its all in the fine print.

In that case, the cruise line's insurance would probably be the safest bet. We purchased DCL insurance for a cruise a few years ago and MIL had to use it because her time off was revoked last minute. She got full credit towards a future DCL cruise which she used the next year. I assume the cruise line specific insurance would cover a denied boarding situation similarly.

You will not be prevented from boarding because you have the coronavirus. The reason is because you won't get the coronavirus. The flu may be a different issue

In that case, the cruise line's insurance would probably be the safest bet. We purchased DCL insurance for a cruise a few years ago and MIL had to use it because her time off was revoked last minute. She got full credit towards a future DCL cruise which she used the next year. I assume the cruise line specific insurance would cover a denied boarding situation similarly.
The policy DCL sells is quite expensive with a lot less coverage compared to other policies. The cancel for any reason is maxed out at 75% and only gives you a credit that has to be used within a year. It also does not cover pre-existing conditions.

The policy DCL sells is quite expensive with a lot less coverage compared to other policies. The cancel for any reason is maxed out at 75% and only gives you a credit that has to be used within a year. It also does not cover pre-existing conditions.

Did they change that? My MIL was told by several DCL reps that the credit for a future cruise had NO expiration date. This was back in 2012. They also fully refunded her cruise fare. She had booked a solo cabin.

Did they change that? My MIL was told by several DCL reps that the credit for a future cruise had NO expiration date. This was back in 2012. They also fully refunded her cruise fare. She had booked a solo cabin.
From the DCL insurance contract.
This program enhancement is offered by Disney Cruise Line as a special service to our valued guests. Certain restriction on the use of these cruise credits such as blockout periods may apply. Credits are valid for one year from issue date, are not transferrable, and have no cash value.

The two coverages are different. If you get sick on vacation the medical would be covered but they may not pay for your cancelled plans. That is where trip interruption/cancellation comes in but that all depends on their fine print as well.

Got it...luckily, in all our 45 cruises we had to make a claim only once and that was because DCL had to shorten one cruise because of an approaching hurricane due to hit Port Canaveral. The cruise before ours was extended as they had to stay out at sea. We were supposed to sail on a Saturday, but on Friday on our way to the port area we got word that PC was being evacuated and the cruise shortened. We happen to be passing WDW at the time and pulled in there to get a room to ride out the hurricane. We stayed at the Poly Fri, Sat and Sunday night. We were bused to Ft. Lauderdale on Monday to meet the cruise.

I put in a claim and was reimbursed for our WDW hotel nights, extra rental car nights and all meals....I had saved all our receipts. DCL refunded the lost days of the cruise and gave us an onboard credit and 25% off a future cruise.

MJ

I put in a claim and was reimbursed for our WDW hotel nights, extra rental car nights and all meals....I had saved all our receipts. DCL refunded the lost days of the cruise and gave us an onboard credit and 25% off a future cruise.

wowsa! Now that’s making lemonade!

I suspect that being denied boarding does not meet the definition of being sick as you might be denied this simply because you have a fever and they are being overly cautious. And the examination you get is probably not going to be considered sufficient to diagnose you. And the denial of boarding is more about protecting the ship and other occupants, not your health. It's the health issue that has to cause the interruption, i.e., it's not a good idea to sail due to health concerns, not the result of that, i.e., the denial by the cruise line because you are sick.

I have to wonder, then. If the cruise ship denies boarding, do they not offer compensation since THEY are the ones telling you you can't get on?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter