Trip Report June 30 to July 2 - Many Firsts Mixed With Old Favourites

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
Ok the fog of jeg lag has lifted so time to start the trip report.

Some things to note
  1. I am a solo female traveller from Ireland
  2. I dont drive
  3. I dont use Maxpass
Getting To Anaheim
I spent the first part of my vacation in LA. I stayed at a hotel in Hollywood, near a Metro Red Line Underground Station. While in Hollywood I used the underground and city buses to get around. When I use public transport I use the TAP card, which is a credit card sized plastic card. I load it with Pay As You Go money and it just deducts the fare every time I tap on at the bus or underground.

When I checked out of my Hollywood hotel, I used the Red Line Underground Metro to go to Union Station. At Union Station I took the 12.33pm Pacific Surfliner Train to Anaheim ARTIC train station, travel time about 40 minutes. I bought my ticket online in advance. At Anaheim ARTIC train station I bought a 5 day ART Bus pass from the ticket desk. I took the ART bus from Anaheim ARTIC train station to Motel 6. I actually got off at Cheesecake Factory on Katella / Garden Walk and walk back, about 10 minutes to Motel 6.

Using A Phone in America As An International Visitor
Even though I have been visiting USA for many many years I have always just turned off data roaming, turned on Air-plane Mode and just connected to free Wifi. This year I bought a TMobile Pay As You Go Sim Card for my European phone. I had downloaded the Disneyland App before I left home so I was able to log in and use the App while in Disneyland. I also used Mobile Ordering for the first time this year. When I travel to USA I use a prepaid Mastercard. I get this from my post office in Ireland and I can load it with USA dollars. As it is a Mastercard I was able to add it as a payment option on the Disneyland App.

I also had fun using the Starbucks App. This App is not available in my country, so I had to wait until I switched to the USA TMobile Sim card to download it to my phone. I tried to add my Irish Starbucks card but it recognised that it was already registered with Starbucks. The App gave me the option to have a digital card, so I had to create a new account with Starbucks USA. I didnt add a payment option, I just topped up with cash when I was in a Starbucks store.

Where I stay in Anaheim
I stay in Motel 6 , Disney Way. It is about a 20 minute walk to the parks. On park days I use the ART bus but on my arrival and departure days I walk. I have stayed there multiple times and I have always found the staff helpful and courteous. The rooms are large, will comfortably fit 2 king beds. The rooms do not have carpet or indoor corridors. There is a pool and a small convenience shop in the lobby. There is no breakfast but they have vending machines and microwaves in the lobby. Free coffee is available from 6am to 10am. This year I was surprised to find a fridge in my room. On previous years, the rooms did not have a fridge. There is also a coffee maker in the room.

Disneyland Day 1 Sunday 30 June

Thanks to @WonkaKid and his great weekly updates about Sunday rope drops, I decided to make the effort and get out of bed early. I got the 6.20am bus and was at Harbour security for about 6. 30. There were no lines! This was a new experience, I just walked right up and was through in seconds. I didnt want to look at the short lines at the entrance turnstiles as I needed COFFEEEE! So on my walk across the esplanade I mobile ordered my Starbucks. And thanks to Disboards, I made sure to order at the right location. Coffee in hand I quickly went back to the entrance turnstiles. I managed to find one with only 5 people and sat down on the ground to have breakfast. By now it was about 6.55am so time to get on the Disneyland App and get my Cantina reservation. This is sooo cool, waiting outside the closed gates, and being able to use the App and get my Cantina reservation. At about 7.15 I see a family being selected to do the countdown. I had never seen this before. At about 7.45am they did the countdown and opened the gates and we were off. The famous rope drop stampede I had read about. It was mad, seeing everyone streaming up Main Street. As we got to The Hub, there were CM's and ropes directing us around to the Tomorrowland side. At the top of The Hub, the crowd split. The majority swarmed around to Fronteirland entrance where they were held with a rope. I of course went onwards to the The Castle and was amazed to see a tiny amount of people being held at a rope by the drawbridge. And who did I spot at the rope ....... @WonkaKid :) We chatted for a few minutes and I took a photo of The Castle. Then a CM came and finally I was doing the famous rope drop into Fantasyland. I lost WonkaKid but I did make it to Peter Pan within the first 20 people. After Peter Pan I decided to stay in Fantasyland and managed to find WonkaKid and hang out for a bit.

I kept track of my day so, here you go

Peter Pan
Toads Wild Ride
Checked Alice but it was closed
Dumbo
Snow White
Alice still closed
Got Fastpass from free kiosk for Indiana Jones
Pirates of The Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
Used Indian Jones Fastpass
Pin trading with CM's in Frontierland
Got Faastpass from free kiosk for Big Thunder Mountain
Mark Twain River Boat
Pirates of The Caribbean
Checked out the Pirates shop
Used Big Thunder Mountain Fastpass
Time Check 11am
Tiki Room Show
Shopping on Main Street - Jolly Holiday to Fire Station side
Checked out The Main Street Cinema
Shopping on Main Street - Cinema to Plaza Restaurant side
Lunch reservation at 1.30pm in Carnation Cafe
Main Street Transportation Bus down to The Castle
Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk Through
Pin Trading in Royal Reception Shop in Fantasyland
Into Star Wars Galaxys Edge using Fantasyland entrance
Cantina reservation for 3pm
Shopping in Black Spire Market Place
Millennium Falcon ride x 3 times single rider - all engineer position
Food at Docking Bay
Back into Fantasyland
Casey Junior Train
Alice still closed
Into Tomorrowland
Got Fastpass at free kiosk for Buzz Lightyear
Star Tours standby walk on
Buzz lightyear Standby
Used Fastpass for Buzz Lightyear
Autopia
Full circuit of the park on the train
Shopping in Star Traders
Back onto Main Street
ART bus at 11.00pm

Photos From Disneyland Day 1 Sunday 30 June

castle.jpg

Early morning rope drop at The Castle, look no people

Fantasyland.jpg

Almost empty Fantasyland

cinema.jpg

Main Street Cinema, now with benches

Ewok.jpg

I spy an Ewok in Black Spire Marketplace

marionettes.jpg

cantina drinks day 1.JPG

Blue Bantha and Fuzzy Tauntaun which is Ciroc peach vodka, Bols peach schnapps, orange juice, sugar buzz foam

docking bay.jpg

Docking Bay 7
A Taste of Takodana
Black Bean Hummus, Edible Soil with Nuts, Chilled Dipping Vegetables, Multigrain Crisps served with Small Coke
Oi-oi Puff
Raspberry Cream Puff, Passion Fruit Mousse

Casey Train.jpg

One of the few remaining 1955 Attraction Ticket Booths at Casey Junior Train

Buzz High Score.JPG

My all time high score on Buzz Lightyear. I got lucky and the ride stopped in one of the tunnels right under one of the diamonds, so I blasted that diamond.

Last edited:
Did you buy your SIM once you arrived in the US, or did you have it posted to you first?

Did you buy your SIM once you arrived in the US, or did you have it posted to you first?

I bought it in America in a TMobile shop. I originally was going to buy an AT& T Sim card. I did some research and found that TMobile and AT&T are the two networks which are compatible with European phones. I then went to both their websites and used their online phone compatibility checker. The websites said my phone was compatible with AT&T and not with TMobile.

So when I got to LA I went to an AT&T shop. However when they put in the Sim card, it would not connect. So then I went across the street to TMobile. The TMobile Sim Card worked fine.

Glad you had a great time, @BadPinkTink! I always enjoy when people from the board find me at rope drop (or elsewhere). It was nice to spend part of the morning with you and it sounds like you made the best use of your time. Did you happen to read/employ any of my Buzz tips? In any case, what was your best score?

Thanks for the report! I am always happy to read trip reports...
Sounds like you had a great trip!
Did you order an alcoholic beverage at the cantina? So did you take your passport to the parks? (I am always scared of loosing it so I don’t drink alcohol at DL...)

(One additional note about SIM cards for internationals... last year I used an American SIM card I ordered from Amazon (german store)...worked great, was a pretty good price and no trouble searching for stores...might be worth a look...I‘ll try to buy it again for my next trip...)

Great trip report! Thank you for all the details -- I'm sure many DISers will find the info helpful. So glad you had a good time in the parks. :)

Glad you had a great time, @BadPinkTink! I always enjoy when people from the board find me at rope drop (or elsewhere). It was nice to spend part of the morning with you and it sounds like you made the best use of your time. Did you happen to read/employ any of my Buzz tips? In any case, what was your best score?
Yes, thanks for the tips, I tried to only hit / aim for diamonds and squares, this is my all time highest score, although I did get lucky as the ride stopped in one of the tunnels right under a diamond

Buzz High Score.JPG

Did you order an alcoholic beverage at the cantina? So did you take your passport to the parks? (I am always scared of loosing it so I don’t drink alcohol at DL...)
Yes I did and I got asked for "credentials" which made my day. I always have my passport on me when Im in USA, both when Im in the parks and in LA doing touristy things. I have been asked for ID in various places over the years mostly if I use a credit card but I have even been asked for ID to enter a bar. I bought alcohol in Target when I was visiting friends and was asked for ID. Another time, we were driving back late to LA and there was a police checkpoint, we got stopped but it was obvious they were looking for something specific and we were waved through. They could have asked for ID. I have a zipped money belt which I wear under my clothes, separate to my day to day money. Especially as I am a solo traveller I think its important to have my passport with me at all times when in a foreign country,

(One additional note about SIM cards for internationals... last year I used an American SIM card I ordered from Amazon (german store)...worked great, was a pretty good price and no trouble searching for stores...might be worth a look...I‘ll try to buy it again for my next trip...)
As I bought my Sim Card in the phone shop, I put credit on the account, so it will be ok for next year and I wont have to buy another one next year

Disneyland Day 2 Monday 1 July California Adventures

Today was my not so crazy day at Disneyland. I didnt get up as early but I still managed to get to the park just after 8am opening.

Again I did not use Maxpass, all Fastpasses were pulled from the free kiosks.

This was my day / touring plan

Breakfast in Starbucks in California Adventures, sit in
Got Fastpass for Soarin at the free kiosk
Had a look in the shop opposite Soarin
Used Soarin Fastpass
Walked the back way from Soarin to Pixar Pier, past Grizzly River Rapids
Got Fastpass for Toy Story from the free kiosk
Toy Story standby line
Used Fastpass for Toy Story
While walking from Toy Story to Pacific Wharf Cafe, mobile ordered bread pudding
Sat and ate bread pudding at Pacific Wharf Cafe
Got Radiator Springs Fastpass from the free kiosk
Single rider at Radiator Springs x2, both times walk on
Matar Tractors
Shopping on Beuna Vista Street
Frozen Show Dining Package, 1.00pm lunch reservation at Carthay Circle Restaurant
Frozen 3pm Show
Used Radiator Springs Fastpass
Little Mermaid
Lion King show at WOC viewing area
While walking from WOC viewing area, mobile order food at Flos
Collect food and sit inside
Shopping on Beuna Vista Street
Early night, leave at 8pm

Photos Disneyland Day 2 Monday 2 July California Adventures
bread pudding.jpg

Bread Pudding at Pacific Wharf Cafe

carthay circle lounge.jpg

The downstairs lounge at Carthay Circle, while I was waiting to be seated upstairs

frozen menu.jpg

The Frozen Dining Package Lunch Set Menu at Carthay Circle, $89 before tax and alcohol

creme freiche aebleskievel with loganberry jam.jpg

Overture
Creme Freiche Aebleskievel with Loganberry Jam (Danish pancake snack, like mini doughnut)Peach Salad and Chicken Tortilla Soup.jpg

Act 1
Peach Salad and Chicken Tortilla Soup

Fillet Mignon with Roasted Potatoes Asperagus and Pea Coulis.jpg

Act Two
Fillet Mignon with Roasted Potatoes, Asparagus and Pea Coulis

Olafs Summer Dream Vacation Meringue with Raspberry Chocolate Arms.jpg

Finale
Olafs Summer Dream Vacation Meringue with Raspberry Chocolate Arms and Chocolate SauceFrozen Show.jpg

Reserved stalls / front section seating for Frozen 3pm show. When I paid for my meal I was given my ticket for the show, just like with the Fantasmic and World of Color Dining Packages. I was told to be in the area by the Coke Red Truck, at the Monsters Inc side of the Frozen Theatre by 2.30pm. When I got there, there were 2 other families there. A CM came out and took our tickets. At about 2.45pm we were brought into the theatre by the side entrance. We were brought in before the main standby lines and could sit anywhere in the theatre. I chose row 5 from the stage, the centre seat in the row as I wanted to be close to the stage but eye level at the stage. Once we were seated, the doors on the other side of the theatre were opened, and the general standby were allowed into the theatre.

The show is really good, basically a condensed version of the Broadway show. It uses digital lighting and effects along with traditional theatre props and effects. They even turned the AC on full blast to help with the snow effects, it got noticeably cooler during certain scenes. Other than Elsa and her goosebumps main song and transformation, Olaf was the standout character

Last edited:
Disneyland Day 3 Tuesday 2 July

Today another first, Early Entry :)
I have been getting a 3 day ticket for the last number of years but I never managed to get up for Early Access. This year, inspired by getting up early on my first day , I decided to to go for early opening on my last day.

I again got the 6.20 am bus from Motel 6 and was through security by 6.40am. I walked down a bit and found a line with about 5 people in it.

I hadnt planned on a second day to SWGE as I was expecting huge crowds and boarding groups etc. As we all know that didnt happen so I decided as I waited in line to try for another reservation for Oga's Cantina. I had the the reservation page open at around 6.55 am.

At 7.00am the CM's opened the gates and the rope drop stampede began. I decided not to to do the stampede and once I was canned in I sat down on the wall just inside the turnstiles and completed my reservation for the Cantina.

I then strolled into Main Street and decided to have a sit in breakfast in Starbucks before going into Fantasy Land. It was fun, sitting in Starbucks and seeing everyone race down Main Street :)

Now that I had my morning coffee, it was time to start the day and head to Peter Pan. It was still only 7.30am, so still only the early access people.

As I passed by the hub, I noticed that while Fantasyland was open, the CMS's were holding people at Frontierland for SWGE.

This is a photo I took from the hub at about 7.30am on an early opening daySWGE at rope drop.jpg

So before the general public even get scanned in at 8am on early opening days, there is a huge line already for SWGE.

Anyways here is the rest of my day, I even decided to put in wait times, but these are probably not relevant now, as crowds are increasing week by week.

Peter Pan - 20 minute wait
Alice - walk on
The Grey Stuff snack at Red Rose Cafe
Pinocchio - walk on
Pin trading in the shop
Snow White - walk on
Story Book Land - 15 minute wait
TIME CHECK - 9.20am
Nemo Subs - 10 minute wait
Monorail - walk on , round trip and I rode in the front with the driver
Got Buzz Lightyear Fastpass from the free kiosk
Star Tours - single rider - 5 minute wait
Used Buzz Lightyear fastpas
River Cruise - 15 minute wait
Got Indiana Jones Fastpass from free kiosk
Mickey Beniets and sit down
Shopping in Pirates shop
Winnie The Pooh- 5 minute wait
Lunch at 1.30pm in Blue Bayou- checked in with host at 1.15pm to request waterside table
Got Haunted Mansion Fastpass from free kiosk
Used Haunted Mansion Fastpass
Used Indiana Jones Fastpass
Pirates - 20 minute wait
shopping in pirates shop
Critter Country entrance to SWGE
Chat with citizens of Batuu on the way in
Oga's Cantina reservation at 6.00pm
Smugglers Run x 2 single rider - pilot and gunner
Walked from Batuu to Fantasyland
Walked from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland
Shopping in Star Traders
Walked from Tomorrowland to Frontierland
Evening food in Rancho del zolco
Time check 9.00pm
Big Thunder Mountain during Fantasmic first show - 15 minute wait
Walked from Bug Thunder Mountain to Haunted Mansion during the end of Fantasmic first show
Watched Fireworks on a bench in front of Haunted Mansion
Sat on the bench and waited until crowd from first Fantasmic show cleared, then got in line for second Fantasmic show
Watched the second Fantasmic show
Shopping on Main Street
Bus back to Motel 6

Photos Disneyland Day 3 Tuesday 2 July

the grey stuff.jpg

The Grey Stuff at Red Rose Tavern

rainforest.jpg

View from the front of the Monorail, construction site where RainForest Cafe used to Be. They are making a pedestrian walkway from the parking structure to Downtown Disney - info from the Monorail driver

little man.jpg

The House of The Little Man of Adventureland, located at a tree at the Fastpass entrance for Indian Jones

mickey beneits.jpg

Mickey Beneits French Market / Mint Julip Bar

fantasmic lunch menu.jpg

Fantasmic Lunch Menu at Blue Bayou Resturant

bread blue bayou.jpg

Bread service change at Blue Bayou resturant

house salad.jpg

House Salad at Blue Bayou - I asked for Ranch Dressing instead of Blue Cheese crumbles

new monte cristo.jpg

Slight change in the Monte Cristo since the last time I had it in 2016

sorcer mickey.jpg

Sorcerer Mickey desert at Blue Bayou

cushin.jpg

Fantasmic cushion and ticket. I was given the cushion in the white plastic bag when I paid for the meal in the restaurant. It wasnt that big a deal to carry it around for the rest of the day and I sat on it on rides, yes even Indian Jones and Big Thunder Mountain!

Last edited:
More Photos, Highs, Lows and Random Thoughts

cantina menu.jpg

Oga's Cantina Alcohol Menu, the non alcohol side photo didnt turn out well!!

drinks.jpg

On the right is T-16 Skyhopper which is Tito's handmade Vodka, Bols Melon Liqueur, Kiiwi and half & half

On the left is Jabba Juice which is Orange juice, Pineapple juice, Cantaloupe juice and Blueberry popping pearls

pilot.jpg

Pilot on Smugglers Run :)

Highs
  1. Making the effort to be there for rope drop
  2. Using the App to check wait times
  3. Using the App to mobile order
  4. Everything about Star Wars Galaxys Edge and Batuu, I could spend a full day there if I had the time
  5. Single Rider on Star Tours
  6. Dining Package for Frozen show- expensive as its Carthay Circle Restaurant, but worth it not to have to wait in line for over an hour in the baking sun in the general entrance line
  7. Early Access - even if you dont do the rope drop stampede, its worth it to be in the park even 30 minutes before general opening

Lows
  1. The Lion King Show at World of Color Viewing area- totally the wrong location for what is most likely an excellent show. No one wants to sit / stand in the burning afternoon sun to watch a show. You had to be right down in the viewing area to even know it was a show. I heard the music as I came out of Little Mermaid but couldnt see it was a show. Im sure many people walked past Little Mermaid and just heard the music and didnt realise a show was actually going on.
  2. Star Tours - I did this 3 times and all 3 times the same adventure, ending on Batuu. It was the same last year, no matter what time of the day I went on the ride, it was always the same adventure. The draw of this ride is the supposed random multiple adventures. Now that Smugglers Run is open, Star Tours is going further down my list of must do's.

Random Thoughts
  • Soo many people didnt know anything about SWGE, other than it was open. As Im a solo visitor, I tend to chat to people while I wait in line. Almost every family I spoke to in the other lands, I gave them Cliff Notes about Batuu, and how to get a reservation for Savi's and the Cantina.
  • I saw far less Keenz wagon strollers. I noticed a good few of them in 2018, but in 2019 I only saw 1.
  • I still dont see the value in Max Pass. Even though I had data on my phone for the first time this year, I still didnt feel the need to BUY Max Pass. I still used Fastpass throughout all 3 days, I guess it just dosnt fit with my touring style. Its kinda annoying TBH when a huge amount of advice here on DIS tells first timers you HAVE to get Max Pass, um no you dont HAVE to get it.
  • There is no need to rope drop SWGE, the longest wait times are in the morning before 12pm.
  • The crying kids who are tired and need a nap, OMG parents, stop forcing your over tired kids to be in the park and go on rides, either dont bring the kids, or adjust your day to make sure you have proper nap times!
  • Used Harbour Boulevard Security entrance and never once noticed any smokers or the smoking area.
  • All 3 table service restaurants were booked at as soon they reservations opened. I booked the Blue Bayou Dining package and Carnation Cafe lunch right at 60 days. However, the Frozen Dining package dining up until about 40 days.
  • I booked Motel 6 in November 2018 for my June visit
  • I bought my 3 day 1 park ticket from Last Minute Travel Club and saved approx $50 compared to Disney website
  • I used Supershuttle to go from Anaheim to LAX, the driver turned up about 10 minutes early, but I was ready and waiting in Motel 6 lobby
  • Even though I didnt buy Max Pass and my phone is not compatible with Disney Play App, I still needed to recharge my phone. I have a portable charger which I connected to my phone and put in my pocket, while I held my phone.
  • I had alcohol drinks in Carthay Circle and Oga's Cantina, but was only asked for ID in the Cantina. This might be an issue for 20 somethings, who dont usually get asked for ID in California Adventures park. They may be a bit more wary in The Cantina as its new and everyone wants to experience it.

Last edited:
Enjoying your write up!

I still dont see the value in Max Pass. Even though I had data on my phone for the first time this year, I still didnt feel the need to BUY Max Pass. I still used Fastpass throughout all 3 days, I guess it just dosnt fit with my touring style. Its kinda annoying TBH when a huge amount of advice here on DIS tells first timers you HAVE to get Max Pass, um no you dont HAVE to get it.
I think there is a huge difference to being a single person at DL than using Max Pass in a group- on our last trip it was instrumental in making our trip a success, it truly was. Not having to have someone take off to get FP's, grabbing open ones as they come up, etc- I thought it was amazing. Had I been just me and using SR lines, I'd prob think differently too, but I was steering a group around :)

Enjoying your write up!

I think there is a huge difference to being a single person at DL than using Max Pass in a group- on our last trip it was instrumental in making our trip a success, it truly was. Not having to have someone take off to get FP's, grabbing open ones as they come up, etc- I thought it was amazing. Had I been just me and using SR lines, I'd prob think differently too, but I was steering a group around :)

like I said it just dosnt fit my touring style and I think its important to show a different side especially for first timers. For example, a first time family on a budget may feel that that $60 a day for 4 people over multiple days is too expensive and may think that they will be at a disadvantage and have a less enjoyable trip, which is just not true.

Its like everything, different people put a different value on things, and what seems worthwhile for the convenience to you, may not be for others :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter