Trip Report Memorial Day Weekend

WillowRain

You can find me at Animal Kingdom!
Wow you guys, what a great weekend it was! We entered the park Saturday with Early Entry at 8 am. We were able to get a FP for Indy for 9:05 Return time. At 9:35 I got Space Mountain for 10:30, and so on, and so on, and so on. I did not keep track of every FP I got, but my kids were able to ride, Indy 4 times, Splash 2, Matterhorn 3, Thunder 4, Space 4, Star Tours 2, Small World, Roger Rabbit, HM, Pooh, Buzz, Jungle Cruise. All this WITH a mid day break from around 3-5!!! Had lunch at Red Rose Tavern which was just okay, got the Poutine. We left the park around 10:30 on night 1.

Day 2 got to DCA right at 9 and in the gates got a 9:35 FP for GOTG. Went over to BugsLand and rode Fliks, Lady Bugs and Tuck and Roll. Fam went on GOTG and son and I went back on Heimlicks. Then my turn for GOTG, time 2 for the kids. Got FP for Goofy for 10:05, and Wasn't able to get RSR until 11:45 to 12:45, so in between we did Ariel on the way to lunch at the Trattoria. I must say, I was slightly disappointed in the service here. We did the PTN dining. I told our server when we arrived that we wanted to eat as quick as possible because of the FP's for RSR. he brought out our apps very quickly. About 20 mins go by, we ask where our entrees are as our kids are hungry. They are just plating them. 15 mins later, still no food!!! I asked another server if she could check. Then a minute later an elderly server came out with the food. And took an additional 3 mins to even set it down and get the plates to us. He then hands me my heavy bowl of pasta over my 2 year olds head, which I grab and slip and end up spilling a few of my shrimp from my pasta. He didn't even ask if he could replace them! I was a little annoyed about that, he should not have passed my plate over my kids head like that, he could have gone to the front of the table and given it to my husband who could have passed it to me. So then, I asked for our desserts to go because it was 12:30, and since we have to go up and show the baby for rider swap, I wanted to make sure we gave ourselves time. I wanted the chocolate dessert and hubs tiramisu. Super sad when we got 2 tiramisus. I know, first world problems, but it really turned what was supposed to be a lovely little lunch into a disappointment for me. 155 bucks for slow service, spilled food and wrong dessert. Then later on, come to find that we paid, FOR NOTHING but to STAND! If I had know we were standing room only, I would have not done it and just sat down at the pier. Kinda mad about that. Anyhoo, after RSR time window was up I pulled 4:45 on TSMM, in the meantime had pulled a FP across the way for Matterhorn, went and rode that and we went back to the hotel for a bit. Came back, rode TSMM, pulled another pass for GOTG, and after that was able to get another for RSR at 9:30, dunno how, but I did! Rode Monsters, rode GOTG again, then went down to viewing area. So the kids got to go on GOTG and RSR 4 times, TSMM, Ariel, Goofy 2, Monsters, Matterhorn 2 times,Boy and I rode Luigis while they were on RSR because there was not enough time for us to swap before closing =(. Still, amazing day!

Day 3, memorial day. Slightly busier than Sat was but still a very manageable day. I want to say I got Indy first, then Thunder, then Space, then the kids wanted to ride Grizzly River run. But every time I logged on to look the next FP was so close that I couldn't pass up getting more. I got another Indy, then we went over and rode Tea Cups, Subs, Autopia, had lunch at Alien Pizza Planet, then space again. Kept refreshing to get a GRR pass and moving it until we finally arrived at 2:30 across the way. Kids went twice, then hubs wanted a break but we girls did not. So he took the boy back to the hotel to get our stuff for the evening, and the girls and I went back to Disneyland and rode the railroad to NOS and rode Indy AGAIN, then on the canoes as we had a reservation for Hungry Bear at 5. Dad met us back there and we ate, then rode Thunder again after dinner, and I couldn't help myself and pulled ANOTHER INDY PASS for later! Then we went over to watch Fantasmic. Again, slightly annoyed with the process there. I was told we could bring the stroller with us, but really we could bring it but had to park it on the side. This wouldn't have been an issue if we knew, but because we had to stop to unload the kid rather than knowing ahead of time, some people behind us ran in and got the last front row seats. I really feel that if you are in line first, the CM's should seat accordingly and not just free for all. We sat at the very corner and had a lamp post in the way, still great seats but slightly obstructed view. And sadness that Murphy didn't come out. I have to say, I really like F! 2.0 better. The music was more upbeat and catchy, and had a very fun vibe. Hate the exit music. Fireworks show was just okay, but we didn't view from Main Street so perhaps it is better there. Anyway, got a FP for Thunder during the show, got a dole whip while dad rode, then I rode and got another FP immediately after, then Indy again, then Space again which went down so had a multi pass, went over to Star Tours and the fam rode that 5 min wait, then Space came back up and me and the girls ran over at 11:57 but it had gone down again, so we rode the Rockets, and closed the park. I was so proud of my little park warriors, they made it from 9 am to midnight!!! And it totally reminded me of the days when my dad and I would stay from open to close and ride Thunder as many times as we could. Most magical trip and Max Pass was amazing! Grand total of 8 times on Indy, 7 on thunder, and sadly only 2 on space that day for the girls. I cannot wait for my son to be 40" so we can all ride together. At 2.5 he's at 36" so hoping he grows fast!

Things that I was super impressed by. I tried a Tigger Tail for the first time, and shocked at how not too sweet and delicious they are! Brought another home and just had a bite! The churro funnel cake at Hungry Bear, wow! I have never cared much for churros or funnel cakes but that thing was amazing! The Alien macaroon was great too. The pesto, meh, would have been better with more sauce and warmed would have been nice. If they make lower AP blocks a thing on Memorial every year, we just may make this our annual trip weekend from now on. Never waited over 20 mins for anything, even without FP.

Random gripes, why are NO popcorn carts open in the morning? Like I had to hoof it to NOS and finally found one that was open before 11. In WDW they were open at 9 everywhere. And in turn, why do so many carts close so early? The kids wanted a balloon before we left and at 11:30 on a midnight close, they were totally gone. I always thought they stayed out, at least 1 of them, until close. And dole whip line closing on the outside at like 7 pm? Pixar Fest itself was also kind of meh.

I'm so glad you had a great trip (aside from your Trattoria experience)!! We're going in July and all I really see about Pixar Fest is the food, so it's understandable why it was meh for you. Also, churro funnel cake? That sounds like a must for me :love:

Send Disney a comment (use the contact link on the DLR website) about your experience at WCT. They need to know about things like that. Service issues like that are easily fixable, but they won't get fixed if Disney doesn't know about them. We're in that summer transition season when many CMs are new, so it's important that these training problems get fixed now. Be as specific and as detailed as you can and include date, time, CM descriptions, etc. These comments end up on more than one desk, so all that detail can really help.
Otherwise, glad you and your family had a great trip!

thank you for writing......if my observation is correct, you did not park hop? That would be great insight for you to expound on why you made that choice, was ever a point that you wished to go back over to DCA or not not closing out the night at Disneyland....is it possible to have a full day at DCA, be exhausted and just want to return to lodging? Your input would be great because Park hopping is probably the most diversifying issue on this wonderful site when giving advice.

thank you for writing......if my observation is correct, you did not park hop? That would be great insight for you to expound on why you made that choice, was ever a point that you wished to go back over to DCA or not not closing out the night at Disneyland....is it possible to have a full day at DCA, be exhausted and just want to return to lodging? Your input would be great because Park hopping is probably the most diversifying issue on this wonderful site when giving advice.

We park hopped mid day on day 2 and 3. Day 2 was from DCA over to the Matterhorn, and day 3 was from Disneyland to DCA to ride Grizzly River Run, because it was hot and the kids wanted to, so only hopped for an hour. And we could have lived without doing that. Honestly next time, I will only get hoppers because we will be trying to stay at the Grand, and it makes sense to have the hoppers for the hotel entrance. But if we stay off site again, I would mull over hoppers. I guess I just like that option even if we don't use it, but it also would have saved me the money I spent on Max pass. But a full day in DCA is totally doable, and considering that 3 of the rides we would normally have gone on were down, we may have needed more time to do it all. We also did not ride Soarin', it just takes SO long to load and unload that ride, and we did it in Florida in Jan so I didn't care if we went again. Hoppers are also a good option because of Disneyland being open later. Day 2 we did not hop only because it was only open for another 45 mins at that point and the kids were tired, but if we had been sans kids, we would have hopped that night too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter