• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip report, US/IOA,OKW,DDP 3/29-4/6 (long)

plamp

Mouseketeer
My family (me, wife and 3 kids, 16, 11 and 8) were in Orlando for 8 nights from Fri 3/29 to Fri 4/6. The last two trips we had toured the main Disney parks thoroughly so we planned on Universal and visiting some of the "extra" Disney parks. I got 7 day with 6 plus passes with no expiration figuring they could last 2 trips with Universal this year. Also we tried the Disney Dining Plan for the first time.

We stayed the first 3 nights at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Main gate Universal. I'm a government employee and used that to get a great rate, 125/night on a 2BR Studio. The suite was a quite bit smaller than the OKW 2BR, especially the kitchen/LR area but it was clean and the King bed in the master BR was very comfortable. It's not a resort, so there's not much to do there outside of the pool. But it suited our needs as it was literally across the street for Universal Studios. You can see the parks parking garages from the hotel.

My wife and I hadn't been to Universal in 10 years and our kids never. In three mornings (Fri, Sat, Sun) we managed to go on most of the rides and attractions we wanted to, like Jaws, Twister, Earthquake, Jurassic Park, Shrek, Jimmy Neutron and three big coasters for me and my older son. The log flume and especially the rapids rides will get you SOAKED. I'd highly recommend the Horror and Make Up Show (more of a comedy show really). By the early afternoons it got crowded, we get tired and bail out. Recoup at in the room and spend some time at the pool before dinner.

We found a new restaurant, Carrabas, near the hotel that served really good Italian food. Our other 2 dinners while at the Holiday Inn were at Sweet Tomatoes (Soup and Salad Bar buffet) and Giordanos (Italian). Those two are regulars for us. Universal was fun, but its not Disney. In fact Saturday evening we couldn't wait any longer and took a ride to Downtown Disney to feel the magic.

Sunday we checked into Old Key West about 11:30am. I had requested a room near the main pool, but was told due to some "magic gatherings" that we would have to switch rooms 2 or 3 times or take something far away from the main pool. My wife and I expressed some displeasure after all I made the request 11 months ago. The CM said she'd check, went in the back and came back with some better news, building 18. And the room was ready! We decided to get lunch first starting our DDP experience at Earl of Sandwich in DD. Very yummy.

We ended up in room 1820. The only downside was the foliage blocked the view of the golf course and water to the left, so the main view was of the building across, exactly across from the balcony of the room we were in last year. We hit the pool in the afternoon and had dinner at Olivias. Delicious. It felt so good to be back at OKW. We used some snack credits at the General Store to get some breakfast items for the room.

Monday morning we went to Typhoon Lagoon for the first time. Like everything in Disney it’s a beautiful park. We went of the Crusher Gusher and a few of the water slides. Had lunch at the park. Wanted to do the lazy river, but by then it was just too crowded, couldn't get a tube. We went to the wave pool instead and that was great. It makes a very big, looked maybe 10' high wave that will knock you over if your standing waist deep. Left there early afternoon and back to OKW and the pool. Dinner Monday was at Captain Jacks in DD. If you’re on the DDP and like Lobster Tails, go there and you'll be happy. After Dinner we walked around DD and through Pleasure Island. Debated going to the early comedy show, but thought it’d be better to go in the future without the kids.

Tuesday morning we went to Magic Kingdom about 9. I feel like that’s the one main park I have to visit if I’m there. We headed to Tomorrowland and got into the new Monsters Laugh Factory with no wait. Then we did our old favorite Carousel of Progress. By 10pm the crowds were building and by 11am it was mobbed. I don't remember ever seeing that crowded. Since our gang had seen everything no one was eager to wait 45 minutes plus or return 3 hours on a fast pass. We ate lunch and went back home. More fun at the pool and dinner at the Kona Café. Filet Mignon tonight. Another great meal. From Kona we took the monorail back to MK to see Spectromagic. First time my wife and 2 younger kids saw it and that was special.

Wednesday we tried Disney Quest. First we had our lunch at Wolfgang Puck Express. Probably the best and most expensive counter service lunch (they also have breakfast) for the dining plan. We got to DQ around noon and it was not too crowded. As a plus its OK, but I do not feel that it’s worth the $30 cash price. We did the bumper cars and build and ride your own roller coaster thing and the virtual river raft ride. Not very good rides I thought, but my kids liked the virtual coaster. My daughter wanted to try the Animation Class but it was full. Besides the “main” attractions there’s a bunch of video games. I guess if you stayed longer you’d get your monies worth, but we got bored after a couple of hours. I’d rather use my plusses for the water parks, maybe if its raining all day I’d consider Disney Quest. For dinner this evening it was the Cape May Buffet. Another regular favorite for us. Then a nice stroll around the Beach Club to the Boardwalk. Stopped in the bakery to use some snack credits for pastries in the morning.

Thursday we were planning to go to Epcot. It was the first day of the Flower and Garden Festival. We were there 2 years ago and its really beautiful. But after seeing the crazy crowds at MK on Tuesday and a pretty busy week behind us, we decided to relax at OKW for our last full day. Also thinking ahead we will have 6 main park and 4 extras left on our tickets – good for two more trips. We went back to Wolfgang Puck Express for lunch. And it was Wolfgang Puck Café for dinner. Another great meal, but by this time I almost can’t eat anymore after 5 days on the dining plan!

Friday time to go home. I had rented a car for one week from the airport when we arrived last Friday. The 8th day add on was a lot extra and I also wanted to try Magical Express for the return so I returned the car at the Dolphin on Thursday afternoon. A good decision. It was a pleasure to check my bags and get our boarding passes at OKW, then hop on the bus and relax. Much easier and less hectic than returning the car at the airport. Flight was smooth and fast (Delta). Now we are planning our next vacation. Debating on whether to return to WDW or try Hilton Head or Vero Beach next Spring.

Last thing on the Dining Plan. Money wise we saved. The 5 dinners alone covered what we paid, so its like getting the 5 lunches and snacks free. And its nice to order at these expensive restaurants with no regard for the prices. It’s just a little too much food though, since we didn’t pass on any of the desserts or appetizers. And my 11-year-old is now an “adult” for dining purposes and we end up having to share her meals. I could see doing it for a 2 or 3-day stay (if you choose the DDP you have to take it for your entire stay).

Thanks for the nice long report - sounds like you had a great time and now I'm homesick again, LOL.

This past March we too went to Universal Studios and Islands of Andventure. Like you said it had great rides and shows but didn't have the Disney Magic. I would still recommend going there but if you are a Disney nut make sure you send a few days at the Magic Kingdom in order to get your fix.

I see you purchased a 7 day park pass with no expiration date. We are considering buying the 10 day hopper with no expiration, is the 7 day pass a better deal?

Gary

...(snip)....I see you purchased a 7 day park pass with no expiration date. We are considering buying the 10 day hopper with no expiration, is the 7 day pass a better deal?

Gary
Not if you compare the cost per day of admission.

7 Day Premium - no expiration (adv purchase) adult is $402.57 (incl tax)

10 Day Premium - no expiration (adv purchase) adult is $478.19 (incl tax)

7 day costs $57.51 per day of major park admission.
10 day costs $47.19 per day of major park admission.

Both tickets have 6 options included.

FWIW, a DVC-discounted PAP is $462.21 - so if your trips occur within a 1 year period, the PAP may be a better deal, depending on how many park days you plan and how many options you'll use.

Great report! I agree the dining plan is alot of food, but it gives me an excuse to get dessert ;) I just can't bring myself to pay $5 or more for dessert. With the DP, it's included. LOL Thanks for sharing, glad you had a good trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter