Trip To Alaska?

LysieLee

Earning My Ears
Has anyone recently traveled to Alaska? DH and I are considering a trip next year, from May 12th to the 18th, staying in Anchorage. Any advice? Things to skip, things you wish you saw, etc? We'd have a rental car, and would book the Kenai Fjords glacier boat tour.

Has anyone recently traveled to Alaska? DH and I are considering a trip next year, from May 12th to the 18th, staying in Anchorage. Any advice? Things to skip, things you wish you saw, etc? We'd have a rental car, and would book the Kenai Fjords glacier boat tour.

I just went to Alaska with my family this past June. We stayed most of the time in Fairbanks as we have family there, but went to Anchorage our last weekend for the Kenai Fjords tour, which was awesome despite me getting extremely seasick. The staff on the boat is excellent, and the scenery is beautiful! :)

I also went to Alaska in June with my two children, ages 12 and 15. It was a wonderful vacation. We spent time in Anchorage, Seward (including a Kenai Fjords glacier boat tour), Talkeetna, Denali, Fairbanks, Utqiagvik, and Palmer.

I recommend getting a guidebook (even if it is a somewhat dated one from a library), plus check out tour company websites such as this to get ideas and price points:
https://www.alaskatravel.com/alaska-tours.html

We just got home Monday. Spent one day in Anchorage before we cruised out of Seward. We really liked the train to Seward. You can do round trip in a day and spend time there. We did the trolley tour of Anchorage. And be sure to make a reservation for breakfast at the Snow City Cafe. Tony Knolwles Coastal trail looked nice. Would have liked to bike it if we had the time. Denali is a day trip away too.

We were there last summer for several days post-cruise. Suggestions:

- We took the train from Anchorage to do the Kenai Fjords cruise and it was one of the highlights of our whole trip. (Mostly the cruise, but also the train ride! We saw more bears from the train than at any other point in the trip.)
- My husband is a pilot (hobby, not job!) and we also did a floatplane flight with Rust's. Surprisingly, that was a highlight for BOTH of us! We were supposed to be on a "Denali flightseeing" trip, but the weather in that direction wasn't great, so we got a "glacier and wildlife viewing" trip instead, which was fantastic.
- Two thumbs up for the Snow City Cafe suggestion.
- We also rented bikes and road along the coastal trail - very nice.

Mid-May in Anchorage means temps in the low 60s ... it will probably be lower in Seward especially while you're on the water during a tour.
If you can, take the time and drive to Homer. We loved it there ... hiking, halibut fishing, etc.
You're a bit too early for the Denali buses into the park but you should be able to drive the 16 miles to the Savage River checkpoint. If the weather is clear you may be able catch a view of Denali on your way in ....

Watch out for the mosquitoes. They are super aggressive. Something about survival of the fittest in an environment where there's a limited window to reproduce.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter