Trip with 3 kids this summer - First timers

BurnsideMommy

Mouseketeer
We're planning to take our kiddos to Disneyland sometime soon, and I have a bunch of
questions for all you Disney educated folks (since DH & I haven't been since 2000, and
we've never taken our kidlets there before). We're thinking of going sometime
this summer (which may be a crazy idea). Our kids are 4 years (boy), 2 year (boy)
and a 1 month baby girl (we'll wait until she's about 3+ months).

1. We'd like to stay at one of the 3 Disneyland hotels. I can't seem to figure
out from the Disney website what the differences are other than price. What are
the pros and cons to the 3 different hotels? Which is the best, or should we just
go for the most affordable since they're all Disney? Is it worth it to pay extra for
the Resort views/city views/theme park views, or the concierge?

2. We're planning to drive down (from Oregon), so we'll have our own car and would like
to do other things in the area as well (Legoland, Medieval Times, San Diego Zoo, Sea
World, beach). Are there other things we should do down there with the kids?

3. How long will we need at each park? We've never been in the CA park, so don't know
what to expect. I think DH & I did 3 days at Disney when it was just us. DH & I dont
plan on riding any rides alone, so it's all about the kids. Is 3 days enough? 4, 5?

4. We plan on bringing the sling for baby, and single stroller for our 2 year old. Is it
better to buy one of those wheelie-boards that hook onto a stroller for our 4 year old to
ride on when he needs a break, or rent another stroller for him, or should we just bring our umbrella stroller
in addition to our Mac? I'm sure his little legs will get tired at some point.

5. Is it better to book all of the stuff together in a package deal, through AAA, a
travel agent, or online ourselves?

5. If we want to go this summer, is there a 'best' time to go? July, August? Early Sept?

6. What else should we keep in mind for this vacation? Anything worth noting?

We booked through AAA, which seemed to have one of the best deals. I've been very pleased with their service.

As for when to go, I'd probably wait until Sept. I've read that the crowds start to lessen by then. We are going in 11 days though, so I'm not one to really talk, lol. :p

Sorry I can't help more. I haven't gone in 11 years, so I am not an expert yet.

BTW are you a GR member? ;)

Thanks! I think I'll drop by AAA tommorow and see what sort of info they can give me.

GR - if you mean gymborebel then I'm guilty as charged. :D

A little help (from someone who hasn't been to DL yet!):

1. Disneyland Hotels: I'd recommend that you read the Hotels sticky at the main Disneyland page. Lots of great info there on all 3 hotels, including pictures. My recommendation with the little ones would be the DLH - That's where we'll be in September.

4. Strollers: I went through a similar thinking process for our 2 kids (5 and 2). I think the wheelie board with child would be in the way of the parent doing the pushing, especially for any length of time. Experienced DISers have recommended I have a separate stroller for my DS5, so I'm just debating whether to bring our 2nd stroller, or rent one when he needs it. The advantage to having your own would be that you can wheel a sleepy child all the way back to the hotel at the end of the day.

5A. Booking: Depending on whether you go in summer or September, you might want the advantage of AAA's enhanced fastpass (which allows you to get a fastpass to more than 1 ride at a time.) When it's very busy, this can save you a lot of time you'd otherwise spend waiting in line.

5B. Timing: The parades and performances are scheduled more frequently in the summer, plus the park is open longer. However, we're not fond of crowds, so I opted to go in September.

6. Anything else?: See all the parades! See Aladdin! See Turtle Talk with Crush! There was a thread of "Don't Miss" kind of things, it has lots of good info, too, if you can find it. Have fun!

We leave on Thursday and I used AAA to book. We are also driving from Oregon. Let me know if you want the name of our AAA agent. She was out of WA and the greatest. I got her name from a gentleman her on the Dis boards and he lives in PA and used this same agent. Our local agency was not helpful at all in our planning.

Send me a PM is you want more info on the agent.

Diana

BurnsideMommy said:
Thanks! I think I'll drop by AAA tommorow and see what sort of info they can give me.

GR - if you mean gymborebel then I'm guilty as charged. :D

Yep that's what I mean, lol. I thought I recognized your id. Go Rebels!! :cheer2: :teeth:

If you can go in September after Labor Day is great. You should check the Disney website for refurbs to see if any of the rides closed will affect your decision. I would definetely have a stroller handy. It will make your life easier if someone poops out, and they will at that age no matter how rambunctious. Also with little ones you will need space for drinks and snacks and it gets tiresome carrying a backpack around all day and the baby sling. Bring the sling and the stroller and just park it if you need to. That is what usually works for us at least.
We stayed at the PP last year for 5 nights and paid 220 or so for the view. It is great but the lights at the CAP do not stay on all night, and my sister in law was upgraded for free. Would not pay for view again. It was great but keep my fingers crossed instead. We have stayed at all 3 hotels and prefer the Pier. So do our kids. DD11, DS9, DS3, and DS1. It is the cheapest of the three but also very spacious. GC is so close to everything. We thought it was to small for our family when we only had 2 kids. Also if you are budget conscious like us you do not want the fridge that is filled with expensive treats. you touch it you buy it. The PP and DH have a fridge just for your stuff. I would also consider if you can, to check with AAA for the 4th night free offer. You might have to wait until October to go but it is beautiful there in October and the HM will be up. Well just my $.02! Good Luck and have fun!

We loved the Disneyland Hotel. It has a wonderful pool and we liked the walk through downtown disney to get to the parks. I would also say that you should not rule out riding a least a few of the rides that you cannot take the kids on. Especially the ones that are unique to Disneyland like Indiana Jones or the Matterhorn (my fave). Space Mountain is supposed to be awsome since it has been redone. (We haven't been back since it reopened) Just something to consider. Have a great trip! :thumbsup2

One more thought on the stroller. If you have a double stroller, bring that one. We don't because my older child was out of the stroller before the youngest was born, but I would think it would make DL easier. With three kids, especially the ages of your youngest two, it would allow you to put the baby in and still have room for someone else. If the older ones are both tired, use the baby sling. (Just beware of the max weight for the stroller, of course. We needed a new stroller recently, and I had to do a bit of searching to find one sturdy enough to carry DS5!)

Another AAA lover here. I dont know about strollers since its been a few years since we rented one but we never took our own, just rented the ones there. All the onsite hotels are great but the GC is so close that if you can swing the extra money, I sure would stay there.
One thing I have to say is please get there at opening so enjoy things without the crowds. Toontown gets crazy (that were my kids lived when they were 1). No matter what, Have a blast! :goodvibes

For booking:

For comparison sake, check out http://www.getawaytoday.com/

Their rates seem really reasonable for the Disney hotels, and they usually have availability when Disney direct is sold out. Their costs include hoppers for the adults (but you can cost those out on their website too), and includes all taxes and resort fees already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter