Trip with No Dining Reservations

You might have to wait a while, you might have to eat late, and you might have to travel. I've found that there's often plenty of options, but they might not be your first or most desirable choice. It helps to have your own vehicle.

My touring style has definitely changed from hard-core parks to relaxed resort vacation. With an easy-going, "let's see what's available" approach, you'll always find something. Last trip, I got a morning-of reservation to Steakhouse 71 and a day-before dinner reservation for Topolino's.

I find that reservations are often available for about 90 minutes out; so if you start checking for a reservation early, you can usually get something nice. There might be a handful of reservations for 15-30 minutes out, but you'll have to be pretty lucky to be nearby those locations. I've also found that dinner reservations are often available after 9:00 p.m., so if you're okay eating late, you can usually make a good day-of reservation for dinner. You might have to park-hop or eat at a resort, which can create transportation complications, which is why having your own transportation is a huge plus. I've often returned from a park and looked to see what was available, and then driven over to a resort for a meal.

You will not starve, and you might even discover some new places. Just be open and flexible; focus on time and distance rather than menu and ambiance.

We have never made ADR. We always get what we want day of but I will note there are a few exceptions like Ohana but we just don’t eat at those places anyway. Wasn’t a fan of Ohana when it was 12 bucks and still not 🤷‍♂️ But love the Poly and much prefer Kona when we stay there.

I'm planning a trip after Labor Day weekend and can't decide where I want to eat, there are just too many options!

I'm considering making no dining reservations and just winging it and seeing what's available day of.

I know worst case scenario that would mean eating a lot of quick service this trip.

Have any of you ever purposely chosen to travel like this and if so how did it go?
In all the years we've been going to Disney (we're AP holders in Pennsylvania), we've only ever had one dining reservation. In fact, we've only ever eaten in a place that REQUIRES a reservation that one time. We don't go to Disney to eat and, if we spent that kind of money on food, we wouldn't be able to go as frequently as we do.

I'm planning a trip after Labor Day weekend and can't decide where I want to eat, there are just too many options!

I'm considering making no dining reservations and just winging it and seeing what's available day of.

I know worst case scenario that would mean eating a lot of quick service this trip.

Have any of you ever purposely chosen to travel like this and if so how did it go?
Yes, more and more, especially with the park reservation system. Last trip we booked ONE at MK because we planned open/close and wanted a secure break. Otherwise we winged it. We got Space 220 walkup, Rainforest for breakfast at AK walkup, picked up last minute Oga's Cantina.

Next month, next trip = zero ADR. Just not worth it to have one more stress over our head. I fine with it, we've done fine last three trips getting last minute or walk up - actually got way better offered on MDE last minute than we ever did while trying to plan.

If it was up to me, I would usually not make any ADRs before a trip and then make as I go. I am usually with someone that wants to make them before and then changes their mind once we are actually at WDW. I have never had problems finding some where I would like to try to eat since I am usually willing to visit resorts to eat.

Last month, we did a 3 night WDW trip staying at BLT. I made one ADR for Mother's day that we cancelled since we changed our minds that day. That trip, we did last minute ADRs for Steakhouse 71 and Chef Mickey. We ate a bit more in our room since we had the full kitchen and MK view or I could have gotten quite a few last minute ADRs as we went. We wanted more time in the room when not at the parks.

With Genie+ no reservations seems much more pleasant. Because you are crisscrossing the park enough as it is. I actually canceled lunches for my last 2 days because I had enough trekking to make a reservation.

Our main reason for booking ADRs is to have a guaranteed way to get out of the heat and take a break. However, we have gone on trips where we've only booked 1 or 2 ADRs and the rest on the fly. I do recommend looking on the app and booking something when you want to eat. Mobile order is a good option too.

Just for curiosity, I checked last night for reservations today. Lots of reservations which are generally hard to get. Last minute cancellations aren't uncommon at all.

I think the only two times I've had ADRs were once for CRT and once for Chef Mickey's on my birthday. Both those times I was traveling with another person. For all my solo trips, I never make ADRs, because I don't have to keep to any schedules, so I like to just stop and eat whenever I get hungry. I was able to eat at all kinds of different places by going into the reservation system when I decided it was time and just picking whatever looked good from the available restaurants. A few times I went straight to eat at the bar/lounge of the restaurant. I haven't been Home since 2020, but I know they have the wait-list option in the app now, which should make things even easier. I have to say I go in the apps once in a while just to see where I'd be able to eat at that particular time if I were at Disney, and I've always found at least a couple of places where I'd be happy to be dining (helps with my Disney withdrawals, what can I say). Oh, and I second the tip someone's already given here, if you're alone, search for two people as well, the app shows a lot more options that way, and I mean a lot. Which, of course, makes no sense, because, if they have a table for two, then they have a table for one (with a few exceptions, mostly places where you'd be sharing tables with other parties).

We made ADRs in advance for our trip at the beginning of June. We ended up adjusting them at dinner the night before. We cancelled some, ended up making others. There's a lot of availability the day before. I say make an ADR for any must go places and then see what's available for the next day when you're there.

There are usually only two of us, which makes things easier. We did this our last two trips with no issues. You can get plenty of decent options same-day if you do want a TS meal, but we also did lots of QS, snacks, and lounges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter