• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trips Based Around School Vacations

BasilofBakeryStreet

Earning My Ears
I work at a school (and summer school), so a lot of our vacations are based around when school isn't in session. We have a trip coming up at the end of August. Our next trip won't be for a while, but I'm curious about which weeks you think are the best time to go and why!

Christmas Break - A few days before Christmas Eve to New Years Day

February Break - The week of Presidents Day usually

April Break - Usually the week around Patriots Day (April 20)

End of June

End of August

As a fellow Educator, I can vouch for the complete insanity of the Christmas period! lol, been there over the Christmas period for soccer tournaments and into the New Year, literally insane... overwhelmingly so lol. But as I have said in many other threads, I don't think there is a real 'quiet time' anymore, just varying degrees of insanity lol...

Of the options above I would look at August, the Florida schools tend to go back the 2nd week of August so that takes out a lot of locals, however, it also ties in with the European school systems and they get out at a similar time Florida goes back. We look at the rates and try to figure out the most cost effective time. We went in June/July last year and August the time before that. I would stay clear of Presidents day, done that one too and it was busy. There are also some of the nations top soccer, volleyball, drill / cheer tournaments that week too so hotels tend to be booked out way in advance. I would look to see cost of travel, hotel availability and look around the summer time. Its hot of course, but its Florida, its always hot!

Good luck

We love Christmas in the World. That being said, if this is your one and only trip you may not want to do it then because that is the highest crowd time. But the weather is usually great, the Christmas spirit can't be beat.

Out of all those President's Day week is the most tolerable IMO. It's hotter than the surface of the sun in July and August, Christmas and Spring Break are both absolutely insane. We've been President's Day week and really it's only bad over the three day weekend (and not Christmas week-close the parks due to capacity issues-bad) then wanes as the week goes on. Plus it's not usually hot and you don't have the daily thunderstorms like the summer.

I’m teacher too! I’ve been most frequently over Spring Break. The weather is usually wonderful-80 degrees and sunny, and rarely rainy. We find the crowds to be manageable. If your April Break is not connected to Easter, that’s even better. I would suggest going then!

which weeks you think are the best time to go and why!
It sounds like you have similar breaks to my kids -- we have done April and found it to be near perfect weather - it is warm enough for the pools, Mornings were sometimes a little chilly but warmed up quickly -- there was little to no humidity so even when it got warm it was very tolerable. The only varable here is when Easter falls. If it is near your trip it could increase the crowds, but they wouldn't be like Christmas crowds.

If you go for Christmas -- it will be insanely busy. If you go to WDW often then this might not scare you off because you know you will be back so you don't have to be a park commando. But if you don't go frequently then the crowds will make it difficult to accomplish a lot. Might be fun to do it once but possibly a one and done. The parks are certainly something to see that time of year.

If you go in August you will likely encounter lower crowds, but run into the possibility of a hurricane or just not being able to handle the heat and humidity.

So of all your options I would vote April as a top choice. Plus Flower and Garden is going on this time of year.

It sounds like you have similar breaks to my kids -- we have done April and found it to be near perfect weather - it is warm enough for the pools, Mornings were sometimes a little chilly but warmed up quickly -- there was little to no humidity so even when it got warm it was very tolerable. The only varable here is when Easter falls. If it is near your trip it could increase the crowds, but they wouldn't be like Christmas crowds.

If you go for Christmas -- it will be insanely busy. If you go to WDW often then this might not scare you off because you know you will be back so you don't have to be a park commando. But if you don't go frequently then the crowds will make it difficult to accomplish a lot. Might be fun to do it once but possibly a one and done. The parks are certainly something to see that time of year.

If you go in August you will likely encounter lower crowds, but run into the possibility of a hurricane or just not being able to handle the heat and humidity.

So of all your options I would vote April as a top choice. Plus Flower and Garden is going on this time of year.
We have gone during flower and garden and found it to be very very busy, especially when it coincides with the Star Wars marathon.

It's one of the down sides to being a teacher--our breaks are always on peak season for everything. :/

Our first trip was over Christmas break. It was crazy crowded.
Our second trip was in March for a spring break. It was very crowded, and that particular year featured a cold front.
Next up is in a few days. We will see how that goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter