Trivial things people could do in your home that would annoy you?

Reading mail or notes that are laying on a desk......hate it. I started putting everything in a drawer before they come over (one person is the one that does it).

Sit there with their phone or tablet in their face the whole time....why come over then....oh yeah, because I cook for you :rolleyes:
YES to the first one! My mother and mother in law do this! They stop over without asking first, and then pick up personal things and ask questions about them. “Why are you on this medication? Who sent you this thank you card? Did you RSVP to this wedding?”

Adding that to my list of things I’ll never do to my adult daughters!

• Insist on doing the dishes when I ask them not to.
  • Put away dishes when I ask them not to.
  • Leaving their stuff all over the living room when I've warned them that the puppy is teething and they shouldn't do that.

Leaving the toilet lid up while flushing- it drives me insane
and taking off their shoes when they come in my house- no! Please leave them on, I don't need you running around my house in your socks or bare feet like you live here or something!

When they don't put on the lotion, despite the warnings about the hose.

I mean!

Uhhh..eating all my snacks.

I know a lot of people want others to take off their shoes when they come in their house. As long as the shoes are not muddy or super dirty, I would rather they keep them on.
For some reason, I don't like the idea of people rubbing their potentially sweaty socks/bare feet on my floor. (I know the bottom of shoes are also gross, but I can't help but to think about sweaty feet.) Also, I feel like when they come in and take their shoes off, they are planning to stay a while, and I don't enjoy entertaining guests.

I know a lot of people want others to take off their shoes when they come in their house. As long as the shoes are not muddy or super dirty, I would rather they keep them on.
For some reason, I don't like the idea of people rubbing their potentially sweaty socks/bare feet on my floor. (I know the bottom of shoes are also gross, but I can't help but to think about sweaty feet.) Also, I feel like when they come in and take their shoes off, they are planning to stay a while, and I don't enjoy entertaining guests.
This has been discussed here a LOT in the past. Really it comes down to climate. It's very typical to take off winter boots in homes in cold climates. Not as common to not take off sandals or runners in warmer climates.

Leaving toilet seat up.

Not taking off shoes especially winter boots.

• Totally rearranging where everything goes in the kitchen cabinets. MIL did this to my BIL & SIL once.
  • Bringing an 8-pack of juice glasses that only hold 4 ounces of liquid and declaring, "Your glasses are way too big and I don't like them. These are for when I come to visit." ...which was twice a year.
  • Demanding to know why there isn't a TV in the guest bedroom.
  • Saying that they're coming to help you with new baby by cooking, helping around the house, etc., and then suggesting we go out to eat for every meal and telling you to hire a maid.
  • Ordering your husband to move a TV into my guest bedroom.
  • Letting their little kids climb all over your furniture with their shoes on.
  • Letting their little kids pick up your cat Lion King-style despite you stating very clearly multiple times to not pick up the cat.
  • Getting mad when you had them over for a dinner celebration for their birthday and they see that there aren't streamers and balloons like the 4 yr old grandchild just had a month prior for the kid's birthday.
  • Telling me flat out that you don't like my backyard and then wondering/getting offended why I don't invite you over that much.
  • Ordering me to put my 14 yr old cat (who is the calmest, sweetest thing on the planet) away out of sight because you're neurotically afraid of cats.
  • Demanding to know just a couple of months after we moved in why we haven't put up curtains yet.
...in no particular order....popcorn::

This has been discussed here a LOT in the past. Really it comes down to climate. It's very typical to take off winter boots in homes in cold climates. Not as common to not take off sandals or runners in warmer climates.
Taking off shoes also has to do with culture. In a lot of cultures around the world, it is the norm to take off shoes when you enter someone's home. It's especially normal in Asian countries. When I visited Japan, I had to take off my shoes when going into dressing rooms of clothing stores and when entering teahouses. In both scenarios I was given slippers to wear so I wasn't walking around in bare feet.

Your post reminded me of a recent advice column I was reading.

The person was asking how to politely tell their friend that comes over to visit that their shoes and feet smell something awful to the point where they have to wash the blankets this friend puts her feet under when she visits (presumably on a couch or other chair) every time she comes over and she's tired of doing that. My guess is the friend wasn't oblivious to the smell and I can't remember if the person asking the question thought that too which is why her friend was hiding her feet.

• Insist on doing the dishes when I ask them not to.
  • Put away dishes when I ask them not to.
  • Leaving their stuff all over the living room when I've warned them that the puppy is teething and they shouldn't do that.
Ugh! THIS
If you put something flat against one of the walls of our dishwasher it will blow water back into the overflow and cause an error on the dishwasher. I can fix it - by removing the (built-in) dishwasher and tilting it. It is SUCH a PITA! Nevertheless, DM will insist on running the dishwasher every time she comes over no matter how many times I tell her not to. I'm not being polite, I don't want to have to fix the dishwasher. Selfish, I know.

Let's get to trivial though;
Wrapping leftovers in aluminum foil and tossing them in the fridge. That's a nasty surprise that nearly always rears it's ugly head week later. Plus, We have storage containers - feel free to use them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter