Tropical threat?? Leaving in 9 days...

I booked a room at Coronado to ride out the storm Wednesday - Saturday.

Historically speaking, how is the food situation in the resorts during a hurricane? Do they ever close due to lack of supply?
I was at the boardwalk for hurricane Irma. Because they had a convention Center that was attached to the building, they serve three hot Buffet meals a day at a reasonable price. If you are in the tower, they could have more options available because you can get to common areas. If you were in the old part of the resort, there will be times when you are stuck in your room without access to places to purchase food.

My friend and I went to the bakery in France the day before the storm and picked up some quiche, sandwiches, and pastries to have in the room. Definitely be prepared in advance and have food in your room for at least two or three meals in case you do get stuck in your room for hours.

So the parks closed a bit early on September 9th, were completely closed September 10th and 11th and reopened September 12th.
OK, so Irma was in the keys on Sep 10, made landfall north of Miami at 3PM on the 10th, passed over Orlando late/overnight the 11th, and WDW was open the next day, Sep 12. Irma was Cat 4 when it got to the keys and much bigger over Cuba.

Yes they did, as per my screenshots you can see that Disney was abiding by the curfews.

The timing wasn't 24 hours nor 48 hours though at least not that I remember nor what Disney was advising. Ours at All-Stars IIRC ended about noon-ish although there were a few people (relatively few) out and about before then. It was listed on the screenshots as 7pm (ETA: although I believe Osceola had a bit earlier start time officially speaking) September 10th through about noon-ish September 11th. Parks were closed September 10th and 11th.

True although Disney did not want you to leave your room when you are located in a resort with exterior doors during the curfew time although they kept the food court open at All-Stars for about 30mins past the curfew time. That not leaving your room thing is mostly because of safety as Disney has a lot of trees and bodies of water.

This was a photo taken morning of September 10th
View attachment 705330

This was the next day:
View attachment 705332

The winds and rains wee picking up already when the parks were closed so walking out and about you'd want to be cautious. My husband took some go pro video too and largely it was just tree damage and such but you know walking around even after curfew ended you needed to be careful so yeah Disney didn't go around exterior door resorts policing people but they also advised you needed to stay safe.

The Resort may have lifted the curfew on-site, but the counties were at least a half day to day later for damage assessment and clearing of debris and downed trees from roads and securing power lines/poles knocked down.… and we’re still advising people to stay off the roads so they could get things back to normal.

I booked a room at Coronado to ride out the storm Wednesday - Saturday.

Historically speaking, how is the food situation in the resorts during a hurricane? Do they ever close due to lack of supply?

To help with perspective they can not house all the CMs it takes to operate a hotel with full amenities. CMs working will be there 24 hours. It's not like these CMs are supposed to be traveling back and forth during the active storm OR that they don't need to secure their own homes.

Dining will be among the first to be on limited schedule and they likely will be focused on mass produced food aka box lunches, limited menus. I would imagine at CSR any sit down will be closed and only tower guests will be told it is okay to wander during active storming. The villages guests will likely need to go to the quick serve and buy box lunches and any snacks available to take to their rooms. If you are driving or will have a car, I would bring food items in case you are stuck for awhile or the dining options are severely limited.

NOTE: You can search old threads from the storms 2016 forward and you'll see plenty of photos of the box lunches and sadly they varied greatly by hotel.

The villages guests will likely need to go to the quick serve and buy box lunches and any snacks available to take to their rooms. If you are driving or will have a car, I would bring food items in case you are stuck for awhile or the dining options are severely limited.

This is precisely why I payed more for Tower. I can walk around the common areas and not have to venture outdoors. I believe I can also get to the fitness center from indoors, which would be nice if it remains open.

All other resorts with interior hallways connecting the lobby (e.g., Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk) were $200 - $300 more a night.

The Resort may have lifted the curfew on-site, but the counties were at least a half day to day later for damage assessment and clearing of debris and downed trees from roads and securing power lines/poles knocked down.… and we’re still advising people to stay off the roads so they could get things back to normal.
Understood but we're talking about Disney and ability to leave the room.

We were at Disney for Dorian. We were at Coronado Springs and they had the convention center rooms open for movies and Character dance parties etc when the park was closed. I can't recall exactly the closures but I think it was only a half day closure? Closed at 2pm - and they added an extra day of tickets to our package.

There was a lot of rain for one evening. But otherwise the trip was great. Crowds were super light because everyone cancelling!

OK, so Irma was in the keys on Sep 10, made landfall north of Miami at 3PM on the 10th, passed over Orlando late/overnight the 11th, and WDW was open the next day, Sep 12. Irma was Cat 4 when it got to the keys and much bigger over Cuba.
That was a schizophrenic storm. We watched it move around east and west as it came right up the center. The eye ended up coming right over our neighborhood. We lost power at 8:30pm, before the storm actually hit. If I recall, it came in at 2:30am. People do not realize that the eastern side from the eye is the "dirty" side of the storm. Heavier wind and rain bands, but a lot of tornado spin offs as well. We're as ready as we can be. Here's hoping it moves through quickly and has been torn up enough that it's not as destructive as it could be. Good luck to you and keep your head down!
Same goes to all my Central Florida neighbors!

Last edited:
Basically, coming through late on the 10th clearing the bulk of the impact by something like 5am or 6am on the 11th. I think Disney was able to reopen on the morning of the 12th because of the timing of when it passed over but that's just purely IMO.

Irma was massive in size and packed a lot of power but the strength had weakened considerably by the time it made itself to Orlando as it was over land of FL so much. Ian is sticking out over water for longer and then coming to the west side of FL so that can alter thing. How much fuel Ian picks up on its way to FL and then what path it takes is going to be that big factor.

WDW def. doesn't like to close and only has done so a handful of times. WDW closed for Matthew in 2016 but not as long, however Matthew skirted the eastern coast of FL

Matthew
1664205210630.png

Irma (in Orlando it was a CAT 1)
1664205236826.png

Ian looks to be getting that same side at least initially as Irma but coming in from the side. A higher category hurricane sorta goes hand in hand at least when looking at WDW's impact with it's size, power, and overall impact. Matthew was a higher strength hurricane with it's impact to that part of FL but did not have the same actual impact to WDW as Irma did.

Also remember there's so much more to a storm than it's category number. Category is really only helpful in judging wind speed. It doesn't help you predict rain or length of storm or the size of the windshield or the prevalence of tornadoes. A "smaller" storm category wise can do a lot more damage than a larger storm if it sticks around longer, produces more rain, or covers a larger area. Right now, this storm is predicted to do all of the above.

Resources people might find helpful is Wundermap's interactive map. It will help judge size and scope as the storm progresses: https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap?lat=19.1&lon=-82.7&wxstn=0&satellite=1&hur=1

NHC's page has information on start times, intensity, and rainfall.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?start#contents

Disney has plenty of rooms. Let's not act like people here are going to strand anyone, or at least don't turn the thread into that. When we were watching what Irma could become, when we were down there the mega thread was invaluable for information and sharing of experiences. I'm sure posters here making comments feel the same.
Not every hurricane is the same. You base experience on 1 hurricane. Those of us that are from Fl have experienced many. We evacuated to WDW for Dorien and stayed at GD. Food was limited, staff was minimum, and the storm never really impacted Orlando. This storm is predicted to stall around Tampa. I pray it does not as I have family in Tampa area. I‘m on the Space Coast and will see how it goes. I still think heading towards an area for a vacation that will probably have a nasty storm is foolish…your dime.

Not every hurricane is the same. You base experience on 1 hurricane. Those of us that are from Fl have experienced many. We evacuated to WDW for Dorien and stayed at GD. Food was limited, staff was minimum, and the storm never really impacted Orlando. This storm is predicted to stall around Tampa. I pray it does not as I have family in Tampa area. I‘m on the Space Coast and will see how it goes. I still think heading towards an area for a vacation that will probably have a nasty storm is foolish…your dime.
I'm not actually basing it off one hurricane. I paid attention to Matthew too the year prior and read countless other experiences people had of other hurricanes.

When you tell people "and in need of rooms." you're acting like Disney is some motel 8. You will have a mixture of people who have cancelled, people leaving early and then incoming locals and some from a bit way opting to go to Disney hotels. Just looking it up rough estimates are about 36,000 rooms. Yes I was there during Irma, yes I did see locals checking in but they were never in danger of prohibiting people from getting a room, we fully expected when we extended our trip by a day that we would have to move rooms but no issues and the resort had plenty. My apologies but when you put in that people will be in need of rooms you give off the impression that people on this very thread will shut out Floridians and that is not a likely situation or what perhaps the thread doesn't need to be about. It's a delicate topic either way

With the probability of significant impact to Tampa going up, that is obviously a massive population center. Some evacuations orders have already started, so be prepared for all the traffic and resources that will potentially bring.

I'm not actually basing it off one hurricane. I paid attention to Matthew too the year prior and read countless other experiences people had of other hurricanes.

When you tell people "and in need of rooms." you're acting like Disney is some motel 8. You will have a mixture of people who have cancelled, people leaving early and then incoming locals and some from a bit way opting to go to Disney hotels. Just looking it up rough estimates are about 36,000 rooms. Yes I was there during Irma, yes I did see locals checking in but they were never in danger of prohibiting people from getting a room, we fully expected when we extended our trip by a day that we would have to move rooms but no issues and the resort had plenty. My apologies but when you put in that people will be in need of rooms you give off the impression that people on this very thread will shut out Floridians and that is not a likely situation or what perhaps the thread doesn't need to be about. It's a delicate topic either way
Sorry, my post was not clear. It is not just rooms it’s limited gas, food, etc in the area. Threats from tornados and flooding, having to stay in your room, boxed meals….does not make a fun vacation..imho. A lot of very stressed folks right now, including people that have recently moved to Fl. Stay safe and pack plenty of patience.

With the probability of significant impact to Tampa going up, that is obviously a massive population center. Some evacuations orders have already started, so be prepared for all the traffic and resources that will potentially bring.

Damn it's gonna be a mess there for the next few days...

Being reported and I did glance at website - Disney appears to have pulled all availability to book next few days during storm.

I *think* they did this for Irma too not sure about Matthew. Preventing new bookings. I know they were giving hurricane rates (like 50%) for those coming in for Irma. If you had a resort reservation already you were good to go. Except a few days ahead they had evacuated Fort Wilderness because that is too exposed. RVs were then parked overnight of the bulk of the storm in MK parking lot. I forget where they moved people from Fort Wilderness (it may have been a few resorts).

I currently have a flight leaving from Long Island on Thursday morning, scheduled to land at 9:30am at MCO. Just received an email confirmation from the airline 5 minutes ago for the itinerary. Not sure what to think here...exactly how bad do the conditions have to be for them to cancel all incoming flights to Orlando?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter