Tropical threat?? Leaving in 9 days...

FAA website has MCO reopening on Sept 30… barring any damage

Edited to add… @ 10:30am
I just called to reschedule my flight arriving Friday morning and the SWA rep told me the airport is reopening at 10. My flight is supposed to land at 10:20 and there is nothing left on Friday to switch to. My MNSSHP tickets are for Friday night so I'm now debating canceling altogether or hoping people canceled for the Oct 2 party and flying in Saturday.

FAA website has MCO reopening on Sept 30… barring any damage

Edited to add… @ 10:30am

For factuality purposes…from the MCO website as provided by the Federal government DOT/FAA

The status information provided on this site indicates general airport conditions; it is not flight-specific. Check with your airline to determine if your flight is affected.
Orlando International Airport (MCO) Real-time Status
Due to CLOSED EXCEPT EMERGENCY, the Orlando International Airport (MCO) was closedas of Sep 28 at 10:30 AM EDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 30 at 10:30 AM EDT.

I've been in hurricanes where fuel takes days to return, and everyone knows the first thing you do is fill your tank. Florida has a wildly huge evacuation zone all the way down to the tip of Florida. That is a whole lot of people going north and through central Florida. They are using the gasoline and supplies in the area, which is also going to get the direct hurricane hit.

When the storm is over, they will all be coming back through to go back down south. Best case scenario, fuel delivery is delayed a couple days from the the storm.

Fuel shortages are a serious problem in Gulf hurricanes, and those are just people going inland. Central Florida has the compounded issue of evacuating South Florida through the hurricane zone. This could mean some serious fuel issues in the area. This problem should be obvious in the next couple of days as more and more people leave.

It might be a serious challenge to get out of MCO in a vehicle with gasoline on Friday or much later.

I just called to reschedule my flight arriving Friday morning and the SWA rep told me the airport is reopening at 10. My flight is supposed to land at 10:20 and there is nothing left on Friday to switch to. My MNSSHP tickets are for Friday night so I'm now debating canceling altogether or hoping people canceled for the Oct 2 party and flying in Saturday.

Yeah that’s what I thought. It’s probably too late to get in on Friday. Sat is the easiest

This isn't about the weather forecast. It's about how much damage that wind and water can do. This is an unprecedented storm for Orlando. Who cares if the weather is nice a couple days later if the cast member's houses flooded, there's no power in Celebration, and the water is all on boil notice.
PP asked about the weather. I answered the question. And also added a disclaimer about clean-up.

Yeah that’s what I thought. It’s probably too late to get in on Friday. Sat is the easiest
Which puts anyone like myself flying in for a Friday cruise completely out of luck. Even if the Wish does disembark and then embark late Friday... well...

For factuality purposes…from the MCO website as provided by the Federal government DOT/FAA

Orlando International Airport (MCO) Real-time Status
The status information provided on this site indicates general airport conditions; it is not flight-specific. Check with your airline to determine if your flight is affected.
Due to CLOSED EXCEPT EMERGENCY, the Orlando International Airport (MCO) was closedas of Sep 28 at 10:30 AM EDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 30 at 10:30 AM EDT.
MCO is saying there is no opening time "is still fluid". They will need to assess all damage first then decide.

I have never been through a hurricane in Florida. Can stop light outages and electrical outages continue for an extended period after Ian blows through or is that portion of the Orlando infrastructure reasonably well hurricane proofed?

We are scheduled to fly in on October 5th - 9th. Short trip for a ladies only trip with 3 friends. (this was the only dates that worked for everybody), So, cancelling would be tough as we would not be able to reschedule. What is everyone's thoughts on Mid Next Week? Staying at Holiday Inn Orange Grove. Not doing Disney - just kind of winging it for plans. Is is usually still really rainy after a hurricane or does it clear up some after it passes.

We will be keeping a close watch on everything and will have to make a decision next week - but they probably won't be as generous with cancellations for those dates I am assuming.
Same dates but going to Disney with family including 2 little ones. This hurricane is scary and I am praying for everyone in Florida.

Which puts anyone like myself flying in for a Friday cruise completely out of luck. Even if the Wish does disembark and then embark late Friday... well...
This was from last night

Tropical Weather UpdateAs of September 26, at 9:00 p.m.
We have been closely monitoring Hurricane Ian. Based on the current projected forecast, we anticipate that the Disney Wish, Disney Fantasy and Disney Dream will sail as scheduled. However, there is a possibility that the Disney Wish will return to Port Canaveral on Friday, September 30, later than originally scheduled. We will notify Guests should it be necessary to delay embarkation for the September 30 Disney Wish sailing.

But keep an eye out for more information because that could certainly impact your ability to get to Orlando to get on the cruise depending on conditions at the airport and conditions DCL sees out in sea. I hope they can put a newer update with the news of MCO closing and updated weather forecasts from today.

We are scheduled to fly in on October 5th - 9th. Short trip for a ladies only trip with 3 friends. (this was the only dates that worked for everybody), So, cancelling would be tough as we would not be able to reschedule. What is everyone's thoughts on Mid Next Week? Staying at Holiday Inn Orange Grove. Not doing Disney - just kind of winging it for plans. Is is usually still really rainy after a hurricane or does it clear up some after it passes.

We will be keeping a close watch on everything and will have to make a decision next week - but they probably won't be as generous with cancellations for those dates I am assuming.

You'll be fine for next week.

I was at Walmart when everyone’s phone started beeping. Parts of Polk County (Lakeland, Winter Haven, and Bartow) changed from tropical storm to hurricane warning. I’m still out buying last minute things
This is where my daughter lives (polk county) ugh

In regards to cruises, the port is currently under Port Condition Yankee by the US Coast Guard. This does not prevent any ships currently in port from leaving, but it does prevent any ships from coming in to port. That is probably why the current Wish cruise is going to be delayed coming in. They can’t come in until the Coast Guard cancels the Port Condition Yankee. I did not see a date and time when the port condition changed to Yankee, but it was accompanied by the 11am NHC Ian update graphic so I assume it’s fairly recent.

For those asking about Gas my DD lives in Davenport and went to 3 gas stations before work and they were all out of gas. She did find one closer to the parks that had some and topped off her tank. I am hoping they let her off early tonight since her home is in hurricane warning.

I've been in hurricanes where fuel takes days to return, and everyone knows the first thing you do is fill your tank. Florida has a wildly huge evacuation zone all the way down to the tip of Florida. That is a whole lot of people going north and through central Florida. They are using the gasoline and supplies in the area, which is also going to get the direct hurricane hit.

When the storm is over, they will all be coming back through to go back down south. Best case scenario, fuel delivery is delayed a couple days from the the storm.

Fuel shortages are a serious problem in Gulf hurricanes, and those are just people going inland. Central Florida has the compounded issue of evacuating South Florida through the hurricane zone. This could mean some serious fuel issues in the area. This problem should be obvious in the next couple of days as more and more people leave.

It might be a serious challenge to get out of MCO in a vehicle with gasoline on Friday or much later.
Another kink in the gasoline chain . . . Most of central Florida’s gasoline is trucked in from Tampa. Today, deliveries are still happening, but when the weather gets bad, they will stop for possibly 2-3 days if the facilities in Tampa are not damaged. They can route fuel to us by truck from north Florida since they have done it before, but that takes time too.

I had to go to three stations today before I found gas as well.

This was from last night

Tropical Weather UpdateAs of September 26, at 9:00 p.m.
We have been closely monitoring Hurricane Ian. Based on the current projected forecast, we anticipate that the Disney Wish, Disney Fantasy and Disney Dream will sail as scheduled. However, there is a possibility that the Disney Wish will return to Port Canaveral on Friday, September 30, later than originally scheduled. We will notify Guests should it be necessary to delay embarkation for the September 30 Disney Wish sailing.

But keep an eye out for more information because that could certainly impact your ability to get to Orlando to get on the cruise depending on conditions at the airport and conditions DCL sees out in sea. I hope they can put a newer update with the news of MCO closing and updated weather forecasts from today.
Yes, I've seen that update. That's kind of what I was referring to in my previous post. To be honest at this point, I don't want any part of central Florida until this is all passed. I live at the NJ shore and had just moved here in 2012 when Sandy hit. My home was flooded and we lost tens of thousands of dollars in furnishings and belongings. It took seven months to rebuild. I remember the nightmare of hurricane recovery and don't care to be in the middle of that mess again.

Yes, I've seen that update. That's kind of what I was referring to in my previous post. To be honest at this point, I don't want any part of central Florida until this is all passed. I live at the NJ shore and had just moved here in 2012 when Sandy hit. My home was flooded and we lost tens of thousands of dollars in furnishings and belongings. It took seven months to rebuild. I remember the nightmare of hurricane recovery and don't care to be in the middle of that mess again.
I getcha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter