Tropical threat?? Leaving in 9 days...

MCO is saying there is no opening time "is still fluid". They will need to assess all damage first then decide.

As to be expected and as I said in a previous post “barring any damage” The second post I made was just to clarify that I wasn’t speculating but that the info came from a trusted/reliable source😊

The fluid part kicks in once the FAA reopens the airspace and reopens the air traffic control tower… With the 10:30 on the FAA website referenced on MCOs website it would appear that 10:30am Friday is go time unless there is something beyond their control like damage to the airport infrastructure or power outage problems.

I have never been through a hurricane in Florida. Can stop light outages and electrical outages continue for an extended period after Ian blows through or is that portion of the Orlando infrastructure reasonably well hurricane proofed?
It's certainly possible depending on the wind strength and/or if any tornados spin up. Different areas will have different results: some of the older areas like Downtown, College Park, and Winter Park have older homes and larger trees that could cause problems like in Charley. Most areas built in the last 20 years all have underground utilities and have less of a chance of severe impacts. More rural areas tend to have longer power outages because they serve less people.

We were supposed to arrive Friday night, at 11pm. I just moved our flights to the first direct flight from Dallas to MCO on Sunday morning.
Now to get our points back for Friday and Sat. We were originally going to arrive on Sunday to Tampa, but moved them up so our friends who are going for the first time ,could spend an extra day or two there. They fly standby with AA since he is a mechanic for them.
Now , we see that it may be harder for them to get any seats at all this coming weekend. Good thing they bought their park tickets refundable with UT. Sad, but at least , they won't loose all that money.
Praying for all the Florida people, including my DD's boyfriend, who is a CM at MK.

We were there for Hurricane Charley in 2004. Stayed at POP. Disney was great, They kept us informed before and after the hurricane went through. Parks closed at 1:00 the day of the Hurricane, no one needed to use a pass for that day, admission was free, (although we had AP's) then reopened the next day (except for the Animal Kingdom which was closed for two days). Food court was closed after lunch so depending on if Ian goes through WDW, I advise people to get extra food from the food court (we did). (It did open again after 11 pm for cold foods).

This is where my daughter lives (polk county)
For those asking about Gas my DD lives in Davenport and went to 3 gas stations before work and they were all out of gas. She did find one closer to the parks that had some and topped off her tank. I am hoping they let her off early tonight since her home is in hurricane warning.
Does she have the GasBuddy App? I strongly suggest it to see who has gas sand how much.

Decided to switch our flights. Got an alert from Southwest Airlines when I logged into their app on my phone. Good thing I didn't wait because in the hour that I took to consult with husband & our friends traveling with us, the 1st 3 arrival times dried up for availability for Sunday 10/2.

Now instead of arriving Saturday at 3:15, we get into MCO on Sunday at 7:40 pm and have to change planes in Vegas instead of having a direct flight. The SW app kept showing 2 other flight options that arrived way earlier (1:55 pm and 2:40 pm), but every time I clicked on them, it said no more seats available in my ticket category/class....so everybody was doing what I was right then. Thank God I didn't wait until later today.

It's a total gamble. We'll be missing the morning at HS and will miss the first couple of hours of the Halloween party on 10/2 that we have tickets for, but something is better than nothing.

With my luck, the airport will be entirely free and open for flights on Saturday. However, none of us are willing to gamble that right now...didn't want to face totally cancelled flight altogether and no way to get to Orlando from AZ.

Had to cancel our friend's Savi's Workshop appointment...very disappointing because it was going to be a surprise for his birthday. :-( Hope everybody stays safe.

Was able to change my Friday AM flight to Friday early afternoon. If that one gets cancelled, then I guess I'll stay home...

We are upper Atlantic Coast and just notified by County mandatory evacuation by 6 am tomorrow. 180,000 people. I have to say I am surprised, I thought with the land crossover and the fact we have just been under Tropical Storm Watch that we wouldn't see an evacuation.

Last edited:
We are supposed to come in Sunday night. Just will see what everything looks like by Friday afternoon and make a judgment call if we should hold off a few days.

My DISer friends that live in Orlando are at Epcot right now, they said it's really busy. One of them their coworker was there and didn't get alerts about MCO closing tomorrow with their flight being then but was able to get a flight out tonight. They were thinking people weren't getting the notifications about flight adjustments or cancellations. There is much less information/decisions being made in advance this time around.

My DISer friends that live in Orlando are at Epcot right now, they said it's really busy. One of them their coworker was there and didn't get alerts about MCO closing tomorrow with their flight being then but was able to get a flight out tonight. They were thinking people weren't getting the notifications about flight adjustments or cancellations. There is much less information/decisions being made in advance this time around.

I remember last time during Irma I literally had to TWEET to JetBlue to check if my rescheduled flight out was still on, and of course it wasn’t. They never let me know!

I remember last time during Irma I literally had to TWEET to JetBlue to check if my rescheduled flight out was still on, and of course it wasn’t. They never let me know!
I have no idea how twitter became the thing to use but it is like the fastest way to get information/issues resolved from companies unfortunately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter