Tropical threat?? Leaving in 9 days...

I’ve been watching and listening to the local wildlife around the parks and resorts. The tree frogs outside of our room are going crazy.

Also, does anyone know if this is normal? Tons of white birds along the Epcot drawbridge canal last night. I’m sure it is, but I’ve never seen it before, and the CMs don’t know.

View attachment 706110
Very common in FL by water ... you sometimes see them gathered in trees along the waterway where you cross the bridge in Epcot by China. Always see them as we cross bridge in AK from Oasis walking towards Tree of Life, sometimes by bridge by Dinoland.

Are they predicting 100 mph winds here at WDW?
They did say GUSTS up to 110 were possible in Orlando but likely not a hold at that high. Just a wait and see really.

"If" a roof or window fails, the only way to keep something like your computer or medicine dry is going to be something like a plastic trash bag. The safe is not watertight. The furniture is bolted in. Have a grab bag ready. Or be ready to put it in a high shelf on the closet or in a drawer so that you can leave somewhere safer without projectiles.

Reactions: asc
Charlie was a fraction of the size and way faster moving. And yah. Not to fear monger but lots of construction and other materials get whipped around and it combined with rising water are the real dangers. The rain seems to be a potential problem for Orlando with an already saturated water table. Hopefully weakens now once landfall has been made. Seems to keep wobbling like Charlie did before it smacked Punta Gorda.

I feel conflicted. I'm scheduled to be there next week for leisure. How can I be there with all this devastation? I'm in California. I wish I could load all my tools up in my truck and help. I actually get more satisfaction from helping than being in vacation. I'm considering canceling my trip. I don't think I'll be able to enjoy myself.
You are the only one who can make that decision, but as someone who lives here, I don’t begrudge anyone their ability to go on vacation. My past experiences at WDW post hurricane were fairly normal, only the occasional downed tree showing that something had occurred. They clean up as quickly as they can and try to return to normal. We should know by tomorrow evening how bad the situation is overall (damage, power outages, etc.) and if I were you, I would use that as my criteria for whether to cancel or not, not guilt at having fun when others aren’t.

I feel conflicted. I'm scheduled to be there next week for leisure. How can I be there with all this devastation? I'm in California. I wish I could load all my tools up in my truck and help. I actually get more satisfaction from helping than being in vacation. I'm considering canceling my trip. I don't think I'll be able to enjoy myself.

I completely understand. We arrive on October 27th for 10 days. We already have a plan B in place dependent on the damage around Orlando and the airport. We placed a hold for Yacht Club from December 17-24.

You are the only one who can make that decision, but as someone who lives here, I don’t begrudge anyone their ability to go on vacation. My past experiences at WDW post hurricane were fairly normal, only the occasional downed tree showing that something had occurred. They clean up as quickly as they can and try to return to normal. We should know by tomorrow evening how bad the situation is overall (damage, power outages, etc.) and if I were you, I would use that as my criteria for whether to cancel or not, not guilt at having fun when others aren’t.
I'm going to make the call tomorrow as well! If it's catastrophic destruction with lots of folks struggling I'm not feeling great about being there on vacation. Initially it was sounding like Ian was going to be milder, but as it has strengthened the past couple of days I am having more concerns. Only time can tell. I've had the live news playing all day long and am constantly refreshing these boards and some other sites I'm on too. Information makes me feel less stressed. Prayers for everyone in Florida right now!

I would wait until tomorrow but man the storm is packing a punch. West Palm clear on the other coast is having 60mph gusts.

It's official; we cancelled. Super sad, but it is for the best. Curious to hear about people's experiences at the resorts today and tomorrow. We were there during Matthew and while we felt safe and very much appreciated the CMs, it just wasn't the vacation we had planned. It's no fun to just go sit in a hotel room for a couple of days. And food was limited, understandably. So, we wanted to avoid repeating that. Would love to hear how it's going today and tomorrow.

It’s a Cat 2 now with 105 mph winds. Should be even less by the time it gets to y’all in Orlando. It needs to move faster though.

For those like myself that always want to know all the details for future decisions, here is the food that is available at the resorts right now:
It's official; we cancelled. Super sad, but it is for the best. Curious to hear about people's experiences at the resorts today and tomorrow. We were there during Matthew and while we felt safe and very much appreciated the CMs, it just wasn't the vacation we had planned. It's no fun to just go sit in a hotel room for a couple of days. And food was limited, understandably. So, we wanted to avoid repeating that. Would love to hear how it's going today and tomorrow.

Sorry about your trip. Unlike Matthew (we were there too), it looks like WDW had a lot more than the boxes today at least at some of the deluxe resorts. We have friends stuck there and their kids actually had a wonderful day today-- full of games, dance parties with Disney characters, and disney cartoons. They are just hoping it continues to weaken and the damage is not too bad and they will be able to clean up and get things back open fairly quickly. Here is a thread from someone at AKV talking about how it is going there. There is also a list of what resort restaurants were open and closed today in a post.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/stuck-at-akv-with-ian.3897560/

Here is another thread on the resort board of people talking about their experiences:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...d-updates-planning-discussion.3897371/page-18

Last edited:
Sorry about your trip. Unlike Matthew (we were there too), it looks like WDW had a lot more than the boxes today at least at some of the deluxe resorts. We have friends stuck there and their kids actually had a wonderful day today-- full of games, dance parties with Disney characters, and disney cartoons. They are just hoping it continues to weaken and the damage is not too bad and they will be able to clean up and get things back open fairly quickly. Here is a thread from someone at AKV talking about how it is going there. There is also a list of what resort restaurants were open and closed today in a post.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/stuck-at-akv-with-ian.3897560/

Here is another thread on the resort board of people talking about their experiences:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...d-updates-planning-discussion.3897371/page-18
Glad to see they were very prepared, with lots more food options and reasonable costs.

At Contemporary these were the food options today

Chef Mickey's Breakfast $15 Adults $10 Kids all the normal food just no characters. They were also open for buffet dinner but I didn't catch the prices.

Contempo Cafe was open with regular food and some hurricane meals.

Steakhouse 71 was open with a smaller menu mobile pickup only.

Steakhouse 71 and Outer Rim bars open.

Fantasia Market was pretty well stocked with food and alcohol.

If you rescheduled due to the hurricane and you rescheduled package cost less than the original price of your vacation package, does Disney issue a refund for the difference?

If you rescheduled due to the hurricane and you rescheduled package cost less than the original price of your vacation package, does Disney issue a refund for the difference?
Yes. They issue the refund to the last form of payment you used.

Important for folks to just stay put for now and watch news reports if you have to leave property.

Flooding is all over Orlando. Heavy flooding from Kissimmee to Universal to Downtown. Universal's Jurassic Park building suffered substantial damage. Downtown Orlando is flooded making rivers out of the roads. Parts of Turnpike are shut down for flooding.

I-4 flooded in many places including Epcot Drive (SR-536) which is currently blocked.

Damage is being reported at the Contemporary. Some panels have come off.

Am sure we'll hear more. BE SAFE!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter