• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Troubling issue with MK parking lot trams

I've heard the "helpful suggestion" before. We usually walk it if we are in the first lot past the trees and just missed the tram. I've never found the walk dangerous or confusing. Common sense would say follow the same line you started following where you came from (the yellow safety don't cross line). Cars should be looking for pedestrians in the parking lot but of course being aware is always good.

I do wonder if this was a rogue CM who took what they were told wrong and the script is "there is no need to wait as it is a 15 minute walk but a tram will be back after it drops off" or something similar and that particular CM took it as no tram will stop we aren't going ot let them stop and you have to walk. It wouldn't be the first set of rogue CMs.

I'm not "defending" Disney here. I'm pointing out that when I worked at Disney, sometimes things would happen and people on the internet would jump all over those things, screaming about "cost cutting" and "cheapening the experience."

According to the Internet, Disney has been cheapening the experience and cutting costs for the past 10 years or longer. In a certain sense and in certain areas, I'd consider that to be absolutely true... but not in everything... which is why I am empathizing with the people who have been inconvenienced, but I will reserve my own blood pressure spike after we learn more.

In any case, I am encouraging that people give feedback to Disney. Or if they have issues, actually bring it up to the nearest cast member and ask for ride assistance. If this turns out to actually be a cost cut that they're testing, that would show them that the test isn't working. If it's not a cost cutting measure, then the guest still gets the assistance needed.

This is a ridiculously flippant answer from someone that is obviously not travelling with a young child or someone elderly. We took my elderly mother to Disney last year and she utilized a wheelchair to help her get around the park. There is ZERO chance she could have walked a half a mile from the parking lot to the gate.

There is wheelchairs to use spread around the parking lot if you didn't know. they are the ones with poles sticking up so you can see them over cars. At the same time, I don't disagree that everyone is ok to walk because your going to walk even more once you get there so please don't read that as you would be ok with the chairs, just pointing out they are available if you didn't know.

Interesting! On a Monday morning of what should be a fairly slow day (compared to past few weeks of heavy Spring Break crowds). Did your friends walk or tram? And did they mind the "recommendation" to walk or did they think it was just a helpful suggestion to avoid the wait?
They walked but they didn't have young children or anyone with mobility issues with them.

I don't think they really cared either way. I don't think it was something that would have been mentioned unless I specifically asked.

I never really understood that argument. You'll be walking a lot, so we don't think you'll notice another half mile. I absolutely would notice. Especially in the heat.

We often rented a stroller in the parks. If I had little kids and didn't have a stroller until I got inside the park, that would not be a magical way to start off the day.

We walked a total of 8.5 miles in D.C. yesterday. It was a beautiful day, not hot at all (low 60s), and even then I can tell you that I absolutely noticed the extra half mile we walked to get to dinner and then back to our car. Yes, we did it, but it was definitely noticed.

I find myself slightly amused that the same board where I got a bunch of replies lamenting the loss of shade from the removal of 2 of the 90 some odd trees along the length of the rivers of america to accommodate the tiana ice cream party, is now defending guests being forced to walk across the entire length of a barren gigantic parking lot in the florida sun as not a big deal.

I find myself slightly amused that the same board where I got a bunch of replies lamenting the loss of shade from the removal of 2 of the 90 some odd trees along the length of the rivers of america to accommodate the tiana ice cream party, is now defending guests being forced to walk across the entire length of a barren gigantic parking lot in the florida sun as not a big deal.
Maybe they really liked those specific trees. :lmao:

Of course, people are always going to be more concerned about things that will affect their experience. I have never driven & will never drive to MK. I never would have heard about this if not for these boards. Even if you think OP's complaint is absurd, I still feel it's better to know what's going on and I hope that people continue to make threads about their concerns despite any negative feedback.

Probably not the same posters. ;)

The BEST part of this comment is that I now know there is a Tiana ice cream party at DL - this is amazing!!! I want to go to there.

Also, yes, it's interesting me to see that there are quite a few who see the extra walk as no big deal. I wonder if I had posted the opposite experience (that as a healthy mobile adult I had no problem walking from Hook and didn't understand why everyone around me seemed to be complaining), if there wouldn't have been a lot more vigiorous arguing of the other side(s). I'm enjoying hearing other perspectives and I will concede I might be assuming the worst about the cost cutting aspect (mayyyybe). But I will always think that asking a lot of guests to make a long sweaty walk through an enormous parking lot is just not very cool.

The BEST part of this comment is that I now know there is a Tiana ice cream party at DL - this is amazing!!! I want to go to there.

We just did it (at MK) for my daughters 5th birthday and it was a lot of fun. The parade viewing is greatly improved from the early reviews due to the removal of the trees (you're still far away, but up on the top deck of the boat, you get a great perspective you don't usually get) , and Tiana and Naveen are such a fun interaction. They were telling a group of kids stories about their mishaps running the restaurant, and Tiana's experiences with Maldonian cooking. She absolutely loved it.

I loved getting to watch the parade without being crammed in with a million people on all sides - I'm not a big fan of standing in a crowd and getting jostled by strangers, so it was nice to stretch out on the boat and just spend time with my kiddo. If they oversold it and crowded the boat it would ruin that advantage, but it was really nice as is.

Friends parked in Peter Pan today. Trams were running but there were constant announcements that it was a short walk & "there is no need to wait for the tram."

I wonder if maybe one or two are down, and they are trying to keep from having a huge mob of people waiting for the tram?

You know what else wouldn't surprise me? If some guest didn't go crazy one day because they thought they HAD to wait for the tram. You know, they were wasting precious park time waiting for a tram!!! So now Disney is trying to clarify that you don't HAVE to wait. And being too over the top about it.

Wow, just one more reason to avoid MK. I would never go that late in the day so I usually park toward the front. Since I know how far it is to boat and the trains are usually closed that early I would leave if no trams in the lot and a super long walk. Honestly the last year I had my AP I don't think I went to MK more than three times the entire year.

FWIW, the only times I've seen a CM directing people to walk to the TTC are those few times I parked in Aladin in the 2nd row near the monorail tracks. On those couple of times, it was closer to walk to the TTC than down to the other end to get a tram.

I was just there last Tuesday, April 18th. We arrived at 9:40am and parked in the PeterPan lot. There was a long line of people waiting for the tram. We would have had to wait for a 3rd tram to pick us up. We heard a cast member say, If you do not want to wait for a tram, you can walk it is not that far to the ticket center.
We chose to walk, myself, wife, 8 year old son, and 3 year old daughter in a stroller. It was not that bad maybe 10 minutes, and only one tram passed us. So, we made it quicker than having to wait.
It was our choice to walk, and we had no issues or complaints. It was a safe walk, and felt no different about it once we reached the TTC.

The next time we parked in the Scar parking lot, and heard no one say anything about walking. We took the tram as we were able to walk right on.

Did this occur this past Saturday? I feel like transportation at MK was all sorts of messed up for the day. We hopped from Epcot to MK at about 11:30. Got off the monorail at TTC to transfer and the line was back to the security checkpoint. We were waiting and some CMs started coming over and pulling some of us out of the line to go to buses they had parked around the side. We heard about the tram issue from other people while we were on line for a ride. Leaving MK at 2 it seemed like all the resort bus stops had long lines. And I don't think it was all Spring Break crowd as I had been there the whole week before and never waited on a line for more that 15 minutes. We even had done Soarin' twice that morning, Mission Space, and Test Track.

I'm really interested to see this post, OP! We just got back Saturday night from our trip, and one moment that really stood out for us was one day, we had gotten in really early in the morning - we were parking in the last row of Jafar against the trees. We did walk in, as it was only 7:45, the heat wasn't up that day yet, and we were fresh, looking forward to our day.

Fast forward to the end of our 6 hour day, it is now approaching 2:30 with all the heat that comes with that time of day. Our 7 year old had been a trooper, but he was DONE. My legs were swollen, my feet were crying, and we all looked at the tram gates like "Aaaaaah! We are almost done!" We got onto the tram, and there was only one other family so the CM asks us which lot we are going to and we reply "Jafar." He looked at us for a moment and said "Are you for real?"

I was taken aback for a moment, and said - "yeah, last row of Jafar. We are too exhausted to walk - sorry." He just shook his head and walked away; they ultimately did drop us off at Jafar, but I really felt judged. I had to ask the rest of my family if they had heard him say that as I did.

I experienced this too!! It had been a really long time since I had parked at MK so when we parked and walked to the tram the guy over the speaker was encouraging people to walk. "It's only a short walk to the front." He said. (Note we are in the very back lot. Peter Pan I believe) It had been so long I thought "Heck, why not!" OMG! That is a long and brutal walk. It easily took 15 minutes at a normal pace to get to the front. I was soooo mad! It's just a blatant lie!! Then after you walk half a mile you have to wait for the monorail or ferry. Easily another 30 minutes on a busy day. Then the trip over (10-15 minutes). There you have it. An HOUR to get from your car to the front gates of MK. I will never, NEVER, drive to MK again. Always bus.

Did this occur this past Saturday? I feel like transportation at MK was all sorts of messed up for the day. We hopped from Epcot to MK at about 11:30. Got off the monorail at TTC to transfer and the line was back to the security checkpoint. We were waiting and some CMs started coming over and pulling some of us out of the line to go to buses they had parked around the side. We heard about the tram issue from other people while we were on line for a ride. Leaving MK at 2 it seemed like all the resort bus stops had long lines. And I don't think it was all Spring Break crowd as I had been there the whole week before and never waited on a line for more that 15 minutes. We even had done Soarin' twice that morning, Mission Space, and Test Track.

Yes, it was this Saturday. Busses running from the TTC to the MK is pretty common on the weekends and during busy periods (it's one of my favorite "tricks" -- the bus ride isn't as magical as the ferry or monorail, but it's so speedy!). They usually only run them in the morning because the monorail and ferry lines can get crazy. We might have been on the same bus :)

But it's interesting that you heard about tram and other transportation issues from other people. Maybe there was some major snafu somewhere along the line and things just really went sideways. Based on my experiences and the helpful reports from others I think there is a new and intentional push for CMs to notify visitors about the walking option and sell it as a quick and easy alternative...what the motivation is, I'm still not sure. But maybe the "no tram" thing on Saturday was an outlier. I hope so...it really doesn't feel like a positive move, I'd hate to see dropping tram service as any kind of regular solution to parking/transportation problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter