• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Troubling issue with MK parking lot trams

I'm really interested to see this post, OP! We just got back Saturday night from our trip, and one moment that really stood out for us was one day, we had gotten in really early in the morning - we were parking in the last row of Jafar against the trees. We did walk in, as it was only 7:45, the heat wasn't up that day yet, and we were fresh, looking forward to our day.

Fast forward to the end of our 6 hour day, it is now approaching 2:30 with all the heat that comes with that time of day. Our 7 year old had been a trooper, but he was DONE. My legs were swollen, my feet were crying, and we all looked at the tram gates like "Aaaaaah! We are almost done!" We got onto the tram, and there was only one other family so the CM asks us which lot we are going to and we reply "Jafar." He looked at us for a moment and said "Are you for real?"

I was taken aback for a moment, and said - "yeah, last row of Jafar. We are too exhausted to walk - sorry." He just shook his head and walked away; they ultimately did drop us off at Jafar, but I really felt judged. I had to ask the rest of my family if they had heard him say that as I did.

That's awful! Totally uncalled for. I had been meaning to mention that whenever I've taken the tram from the TTC back to the MK parking lot they have always made a quick stop at Aladdin/Jafar, even though it's relatively close. I always took this to mean that Disney understands people do appreciate the tram service, especially at the end of the day. Sometimes you just don't want to take any unnecessary steps.

I experienced this too!! It had been a really long time since I had parked at MK so when we parked and walked to the tram the guy over the speaker was encouraging people to walk. "It's only a short walk to the front." He said. (Note we are in the very back lot. Peter Pan I believe) It had been so long I thought "Heck, why not!" OMG! That is a long and brutal walk. It easily took 15 minutes at a normal pace to get to the front. I was soooo mad! It's just a blatant lie!! Then after you walk half a mile you have to wait for the monorail or ferry. Easily another 30 minutes on a busy day. Then the trip over (10-15 minutes). There you have it. An HOUR to get from your car to the front gates of MK. I will never, NEVER, drive to MK again. Always bus.

Something about the fact that these CMs are wearing mics makes it feel like they realllllly want you to walk. I think for me that's part of what takes it from "helpful suggestion" to "hard sell". Because I never hear them say anything else over that mic -- no general info about park hours or fireworks times, or reminders not to bring selfie sticks or toy weapons into the park. The only message being repeated over and over is you don't have to wait for the tram, it's just a quick walk to the gate. I'm sorry you had a bad experience :(

I'm really interested to see this post, OP! We just got back Saturday night from our trip, and one moment that really stood out for us was one day, we had gotten in really early in the morning - we were parking in the last row of Jafar against the trees. We did walk in, as it was only 7:45, the heat wasn't up that day yet, and we were fresh, looking forward to our day.

Fast forward to the end of our 6 hour day, it is now approaching 2:30 with all the heat that comes with that time of day. Our 7 year old had been a trooper, but he was DONE. My legs were swollen, my feet were crying, and we all looked at the tram gates like "Aaaaaah! We are almost done!" We got onto the tram, and there was only one other family so the CM asks us which lot we are going to and we reply "Jafar." He looked at us for a moment and said "Are you for real?"

I was taken aback for a moment, and said - "yeah, last row of Jafar. We are too exhausted to walk - sorry." He just shook his head and walked away; they ultimately did drop us off at Jafar, but I really felt judged. I had to ask the rest of my family if they had heard him say that as I did.

Hey, on a day like that, they can judge me
That's awful! Totally uncalled for. I had been meaning to mention that whenever I've taken the tram from the TTC back to the MK parking lot they have always made a quick stop at Aladdin/Jafar, even though it's relatively close. I always took this to mean that Disney understands people do appreciate the tram service, especially at the end of the day. Sometimes you just don't want to take any unnecessary steps.

Something about the fact that these CMs are wearing mics makes it feel like they realllllly want you to walk. I think for me that's part of what takes it from "helpful suggestion" to "hard sell". Because I never hear them say anything else over that mic -- no general info about park hours or fireworks times, or reminders not to bring selfie sticks or toy weapons into the park. The only message being repeated over and over is you don't have to wait for the tram, it's just a quick walk to the gate. I'm sorry you had a bad experience :(

Well, if they're stationed in the parking lots, traffic control is what they're there for, so the Mics ARE for that purpose. :confused3 Encouraging people to walk means less backed up crowds. I get why people would not want to walk but I also get why the CMs would be given that script.

I experienced this too!! It had been a really long time since I had parked at MK so when we parked and walked to the tram the guy over the speaker was encouraging people to walk. "It's only a short walk to the front." He said. (Note we are in the very back lot. Peter Pan I believe) It had been so long I thought "Heck, why not!" OMG! That is a long and brutal walk. It easily took 15 minutes at a normal pace to get to the front. I was soooo mad! It's just a blatant lie!! Then after you walk half a mile you have to wait for the monorail or ferry. Easily another 30 minutes on a busy day. Then the trip over (10-15 minutes). There you have it. An HOUR to get from your car to the front gates of MK. I will never, NEVER, drive to MK again. Always bus.

Driving and parking always takes a while to actually get to the MK. It is a pain but if you stay off site you have no other choice (unless the resort you stay at has buses and even then that's not that much better because they typically don't run that often). Also, your feedback illustrates the issue here. Depending on where you are parked a 1/2 or so is not a 5 min walk for most people. Actually I decided to google it and found on Wikipedia* that the average walking speed is 3.1 mph which is approximately a 19.5 min mile so a 1/2 mile may take some between 9 - 10 min. Now that probably assumes that the you really are only a 1/2 mile out from TTC and that your walking speed is at 3.1. No matter how you look at it the walk is not a short 5 min walk! And in the heat even a 5 min walk can feel like an eternity (I've been known to use the shops on Main Street as an air conditioned walking path because any AC is appreciated), in a parking lot when it starts to get hot those conditions are just magnified!

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking

We stay on-site, but often drive to the parks. Based on this info, I'll take the bus. At the end of the day, after 8-9 miles of walking, then that brutal walk UP HILL to the monorail, walking another 1/2 mile or so to my car sounds insane.

We stay on-site, but often drive to the parks. Based on this info, I'll take the bus. At the end of the day, after 8-9 miles of walking, then that brutal walk UP HILL to the monorail, walking another 1/2 mile or so to my car sounds insane.

Ah yes, the shuffle to the monorail can be rough. I will say that so far, I have not seen any change in the availability of trams from the TTC back to the lot at the end of the day. The big change is really on arrival, particularly in the morning. I hope they don't mess with return service, especially at the end of the day. But I always did enjoy the resort busses because you just skip all of the TTC drama altogether.

Look at the bright side, folks. Pretty soon, they'll have everyone conditioned to walk instead of wait for the tram. Then your expectations will be lowered and you won't mind walking (as much as before). Isn't that great :(

Does anyone here have actual experience using the Preferred Parking? I've been considering it. We'll be using our own car and park hopping quite a bit. My first thought was if it's truly close enough, we could forego the trams and easily stroll to/from our car regardless of when we arrive or depart. Things I'm curious about are the areas designated for the PP and whether they direct you to a specific spot, or once in the preferred area, you can choose your own spot. Thanks for any input! :)

Does anyone here have actual experience using the Preferred Parking? I've been considering it. We'll be using our own car and park hopping quite a bit. My first thought was if it's truly close enough, we could forego the trams and easily stroll to/from our car regardless of when we arrive or depart. Things I'm curious about are the areas designated for the PP and whether they direct you to a specific spot, or once in the preferred area, you can choose your own spot. Thanks for any input! :)
I never take the trams from the parks unless I am in the very back of the AK or MK one, which is rare, for me it's always faster to walk.
The PP spots are truly close to the entrances, and in MK's case close to the TTC. Maybe a 5 minute walk.
You are directed by a CM to a spot, you cannot just park wherever unless it's late in the day.
Speaking of late in the day it is not uncommon for the DHS parking lot to use the empty PP spaces for people coming in in the evening

I never take the trams from the parks unless I am in the very back of the AK or MK one, which is rare, for me it's always faster to walk.
The PP spots are truly close to the entrances, and in MK's case close to the TTC. Maybe a 5 minute walk.
You are directed by a CM to a spot, you cannot just park wherever unless it's late in the day.
Speaking of late in the day it is not uncommon for the DHS parking lot to use the empty PP spaces for people coming in in the evening

Thanks for the info! We've been to WDW many times, but not since this was implemented so we have zero experience with it. One more question, if I may, how and when can it be purchased? We will be staying onsite. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info! We've been to WDW many times, but not since this was implemented so we have zero experience with it. One more question, if I may, how and when can it be purchased? We will be staying onsite. Thanks again!
Not 100% sure but I think you get it at the toll booth of your first park in the morning , then you can keep your receipt and tag (the one you put on the dashboard) and can visit other parks the same day.

Anyone have a suggestion for something better?

How about one of those trains like at the Orlando airport that holds a ton of people.

I'm not arguing anyone on this matter I run daily and still don't want to make that walk esp at the end of a park day

Sorry to hear that you and your family had to end a good day on a sour note. That CM was rude; his comment inconsiderate. As someone who suffers from vascular issues, I can relate to the pain of swollen legs. I have a big problem when a campaign to discourage people from riding the tram is used to make guests feel guilty for asking for a ride when they need it. This will not end well. Sigh.:worried:

Sorry to hear that you and your family had to end a good day on a sour note. That CM was rude; his comment inconsiderate. As someone who suffers from vascular issues, I can relate to the pain of swollen legs. I have a big problem when a campaign to discourage people from riding the tram is used to make guests feel guilty for asking for a ride when they need it. This will not end well. Sigh.:worried:

I'm surprised they're encouraging more walking after the recent tram loading reroute. The recent security changes to the walkways to the TTC (especially from the Heroes side) blocked the shortest walking distances. A crossover on the west side of the tram road/underpass was blocked--presumably in the interest of pedestrian safety--adding another 2-3 minutes of walking.

If you purchase preferred parking in the morning for TTC and then later in the day visit another park, do you have to pay for preferred again? Or is it a general preferred pass good all day at all the parks?

If you purchase preferred parking in the morning for TTC and then later in the day visit another park, do you have to pay for preferred again? Or is it a general preferred pass good all day at all the parks?
all day for all 4 parks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter