*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

NOT diesel.

Still, It did get me 2nd guessing my tow vehicle.. damn.
I've always been an advocate for diesel, but I also tow long distances and generally pretty heavy. Any more, if you don't travel too far from home and are well within the capacity of the truck, a gasser is probably the more economical decision. With gasoline prices close to $1 less than diesel and the huge upfront cost for the diesel option, it is a lot harder to justify.

j

Have a 2019 Chevy gas 2500 that I pull a 38' fifth wheel with. It is a lighter weight Cougar. Loaded about 12,000 lbs. So far so good.
One trip to the Fort up and over mt eagle and a trip to the Black Hills of SD and a lot of local camping trips. Pull faster than I should sometimes but try to stay around 65 when on the highway. Considered Diesel when we bought it but back and forth to work only 2.5 miles. Thought it would be to hard on the truck.20191005_084441.jpg
Rest stop top of Mt Eagle

Have a 2019 Chevy gas 2500 that I pull a 38' fifth wheel with. It is a lighter weight Cougar. Loaded about 12,000 lbs. So far so good.
One trip to the Fort up and over mt eagle and a trip to the Black Hills of SD and a lot of local camping trips. Pull faster than I should sometimes but try to stay around 65 when on the highway. Considered Diesel when we bought it but back and forth to work only 2.5 miles. Thought it would be to hard on the truck.View attachment 694599
Rest stop top of Mt Eagle

Monteagle is home for me. I don't live there any more but i grew up there and will return when i retire. My mom and dad still live there and i plan to take the RV up on Thanksgiving. I haven't taken it up there yet.. was more worried about coming down than going up though.

Monteagle is a routine on every Disney trip. We are going that route in a few weeks when we go to Key West. The "thought" of it concerned me, but after going up and over a couple of times, it really isn't a big deal when towing. Due to what I have been towing, it keeps me close to (or under) the posted speed limit and it is fine at that speed. In a car, not towing, pushing the speed limit and it is much more "attention getting".

Going down hasn't seemed to bother me. Again, staying close to or under the posted speed limit and it is ok. I have always towed with a diesel though and the exhaust brake does a good job keeping the speed under control without using the brakes as much.

After towing out west a few times when racing, Monteagle is nothing.

j

Monteagle is a routine on every Disney trip. We are going that route in a few weeks when we go to Key West. The "thought" of it concerned me, but after going up and over a couple of times, it really isn't a big deal when towing. Due to what I have been towing, it keeps me close to (or under) the posted speed limit and it is fine at that speed. In a car, not towing, pushing the speed limit and it is much more "attention getting".

Going down hasn't seemed to bother me. Again, staying close to or under the posted speed limit and it is ok. I have always towed with a diesel though and the exhaust brake does a good job keeping the speed under control without using the brakes as much.

j

Agree with @Teamubr all around. I've always thought northbound was a little trickier than southbound, but both are plenty doable.

Just don't do what I did last time over Monteagle for me when we stopped at the rest area at the top and I forgot to turn on the tow/haul and exhaust brake. I thought the brakes were cutting out or something way worse in the drivetrain exploded. That made that trip southbound a little exciting.

Always start down the hill going slow dont ever ride the brakes. Just pump them as needed is what I tell myself. Hauled a few park model campers in the early 80's down to Fl. Monteagle was an eye opener for the young man I was at the time. 😳

Last edited:
I just towed home for the first time since last season. When I got home, the driver side hub on my pop up was way warmer than the other one. I could hold my hand to it for a bit and it didn’t smell like rubber. The tire was fine. Im trying to remember if this is a normal thing but any thoughts?

I just towed home for the first time since last season. When I got home, the driver side hub on my pop up was way warmer than the other one. I could hold my hand to it for a bit and it didn’t smell like rubber. The tire was fine. Im trying to remember if this is a normal thing but any thoughts?
Sounds like you have a bearing going bad or at least there is little to no grease in there. Is there a fitting that will allow you to grease in the center of the hub?

Last edited:
That’s what my neighbour said after I posted in here. He’s going to teach me how to do it this weekend. Thanks :)
Get some latex gloves and one of the cheap plastic packing tools from an auto parts store. I still "hand" pack mine, but I'm an old nurse who has had their hands up to you don't want to know where, so not much bothers me. The bearing grease is sticky, nasty stuff to clean off.

j

I'm an old nurse who has had their hands up to you don't want to know where, so not much bothers me. The bearing grease is sticky, nasty stuff to clean off.

j

giphy.gif

Dude, way too much TMI. Just nah. :sad2: I have to go find a safe space to detox. ED

PS - gonna fill my head with thoughts of chocolate chip cookies, apple pie, my mom's hugs, and yet ANOTHER Bama nattie. (I'm losing count at this point - my B1G cousins will help me on that, I'm sure).

PPS - to stay on topic, I'll need to check my tires and axles before I head out to Spring Training 2023 in Arizona soon.

Last edited:
So my neighbour and I checked the bearings. They were fine. We added some grease anyways since it’s been a few years. Turned out my brake line for the driver side brake was either chewed or snapped. My neighbour is going to help me fix it on a night it’s not pouring rain.

j
Exhaust break is the best part of a diesel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter