Trying to be cheap..but...

hoffmann2828

Schooling my daughter in the Disney Way
Okay, we are going in July and staying at the AKV. It is myself and my DH and our DD3 (she will turn 3 on our last day and therefore is free the entire week). We are doing the QSDP and we only have to pay for 2 adults daily. I'm guessing though that I'll only get 2 mugs (which is what I would expect) but I know my DD is not going to be happy that she doesn't have one.

Am I correct in thinking that because she is technically under 3 for 95% of the trip, that she can drink from my mug for free? If she can, I really don't want to buy a refillable mug at the beginning of the week because that is just a waste of $$. But I think she'll be mad she doesn't have one.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Jenny

I would probably either pop for the $13 for her a mug or give her mine. Maybe she will let Mommy take a drink every now and then. Plus, you will get drinks included in your meal plan when you order a meal.

Let her be mad. She'll get over it. That isn't meant to be nasty, but we can't cave in and fix things every time our kids get mad that they aren't getting everything they want. It's just a cup. I guarantee she won't be siting that the dinner table in 15 years saying "Do you remember that time at Disney when you wouldn't get me my own cup???? That still ticks me off!"

Maybe get her a "special Disney World mug" at the Disney Store before the trip and surprise her with it when you get there? They have some really cute kids' plastic cups with covers and built in straws at my local Disney Store. You could say it was from Tinker Bell or Mickey- have it waiting for her when she wakes up the first morning after you check in. You could even write her name on it with a paint pen or something. I would think she'd be thrilled with her own "special" cup.

The only time we used the mugs was in the morning or evening at the hotel. You can't use them in the parks for refills. All of your meals come with a drink anyway. What about getting her a sports bottle or something with her favorite character on it? Some even have straps. My cousin got them for my kids for the car ride down. You can fill it from her drink (or yours) in the morning, then ask for icewater throught the day to refill it.

(PS We had 2 mugs for 5 of us and we just shared )

Let her be mad. She'll get over it. That isn't meant to be nasty, but we can't cave in and fix things every time our kids get mad that they aren't getting everything they want. It's just a cup. I guarantee she won't be siting that the dinner table in 15 years saying "Do you remember that time at Disney when you wouldn't get me my own cup???? That still ticks me off!"

I agree. She is 3. Is she really going to notice if you say nothing about them? They are grown up mugs. She will get over it.

My thoughts exactly.

Wow guys....Disney is for kids! Kids of all ages, but yes, kids...she's nearly 3, come ON are you serious.... not get her a mug? Granted I've not seen the refillable mugs, and I wouldnt' be putting Soda in them for her, but yes, I would give her my mug and share with her and daddy when I was thirsty. Don't know that I'd buy one, but certainly without a doubt give her mine. Make the little one feel SPECIAL, not left out! Jeesh.

Wow guys....Disney is for kids! Kids of all ages, but yes, kids...she's nearly 3, come ON are you serious.... not get her a mug? Granted I've not seen the refillable mugs, and I wouldnt' be putting Soda in them for her, but yes, I would give her my mug and share with her and daddy when I was thirsty. Don't know that I'd buy one, but certainly without a doubt give her mine. Make the little one feel SPECIAL, not left out! Jeesh.

So, being at Disney World isn't making her feel special enough???!!!??

Really, Mom, I think you are overthinking this just a tad...you are already predicting she is going to be "mad" about something 4 months from now. You've got lots of time to get her a cute disney themed cup with a lid to take with you, if you think it is going to be a big deal.

Really, it's okay to tell your kids NO once in awhile.

As to your question, yes, she can drink from your mug for free, and this will be a great lesson to her in sharing. I don't mean that in an ugly way. If you don't want to buy her her "own" mug, just teach her to share one of yours. Why do you think that she would be mad about the mugs?

We had 2 mugs on our trip......for 4 people. Not one peep about it from my 6 or 8 year old.

Okay, we are going in July and staying at the AKV. It is myself and my DH and our DD3 (she will turn 3 on our last day and therefore is free the entire week). We are doing the QSDP and we only have to pay for 2 adults daily. I'm guessing though that I'll only get 2 mugs (which is what I would expect) but I know my DD is not going to be happy that she doesn't have one.

Am I correct in thinking that because she is technically under 3 for 95% of the trip, that she can drink from my mug for free? If she can, I really don't want to buy a refillable mug at the beginning of the week because that is just a waste of $$. But I think she'll be mad she doesn't have one.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Jenny

If you don't want to purchase an extra mug, just let her use the two you have.

As far as her not being happy about not having her own mug, she'll get over it

She's at WDW, how can she not feel special?:confused3

Most 3 year olds don't get to go to disney. :sad2:

I agree. She is 3. Is she really going to notice if you say nothing about them? They are grown up mugs. She will get over it.

LOL - my kids have to share the large soda at the movies, and I bring beer cups so they can share the large popcorn (and the free refill!). There is a lot of them, so they never get their own anything! :rotfl:

We've been to Disney many times, and I have never once bought my children a mug. Lucky for me, they don't need mugs to make themselves feel special.
The OP made the point that she was trying to budget (smart thinking on her part), so she didn't want to buy her 3 YO DD an expensive mug (more smart thinking). But, she was concerned that her DD would have a fit if she didn't get her own mug. I suggested she stick to her budget plan and not worry about her DD throwing a fit. What's wrong with that?

If you don't want to purchase an extra mug, just let her use the two you have.

As far as her not being happy about not having her own mug, she'll get over it

She's at WDW, how can she not feel special?:confused3

Most 3 year olds don't get to go to disney. :sad2:

Exactly!:thumbsup2

well anyone can drink from your mug, it's not like the mug knows who owns it. ;)

And why would you waste another $13 on a mug? My kids share one all the time. They can be refilled as much as you like so if she drinks the whole thing you can just walk up and fill it right back up for yourself.

They can only be filled at the resorts and it's not likely you are going to be spending all day at the resorts food courts, yk?

I share one with Kari all the time. Granted I think we've got like 6 mugs or so. Some of the old resort specific ones, and 2 YOMD cups. Sometimes when my aunt comes for a visit and stays at the resort she'll give me her mugs afterwards since she knows I'll have more use for them.

Plus with the dining plan, she'll be the one using the mug because you'll have your own drink. The mug is good though for that late night drink after the parks and in the morning to get your perk. And if it's because you don't want her drinking soda or things that you drink, you can share with your husband on the big kid drinks. And there's nothing really stopping you from filling up your mug walking into the seating area, pouring it into her sippy cup, and then refilling it with your own drink.

I completely understand your worries about the mug. I have a 3 year old and if everyone had a Mickey mug and she didn't....she would probably feel left out. Luckily for me she likes to drink what I drink...so I would just fill it up with tea and we would both be happy. In addition we always drink water so we would ask for the water cups at the food court.

I say if you don't mind sharing go for it! Since she is under 3 she can share with you. You know your child best. As mentioned, she may never even say anything or even care. If she does, it is always great to have a plan.

Most of all, ENJOY! Disney Rocks!

Is your daughter going to be mad when she realizes she has to eat off of your plate at meals? Kids under 3 eat free off an adult's plate.

I'll be on the other side, and tell you to get it! We are going with our DD 9 and 2. Since three of us will have one, we are getting one for our 2 year old as a souvenir. Don't know when we'll get back, and we want her to have one! It's your decision, do what you WANT to do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter