Trying to cherish our stay trigger warning: Death

tweetykl

Mouseketeer
How do you help your kids find joy in the last week that we spent at Disney when your best friend died the day after he left our vacation? We had a great week until we found out that he unexpectedly passed away. We are thankful we got to spend the last week of his life with him.
It was our first visit. We have DVC at Disneyland. 44186036-95E6-4102-B243-423A6CA726F2.jpeg

I'm so, so sorry. Can I ask a clarifying question? Was this a friend of yours or a child who is friends with your children?
I can say that while I haven't had this experience personally, I have read on these boards many stories of grief on trips, how being in the parks actually helped people process their emotions in a safe space. If it were me, I'd do his favorite ride, get his favorite snack, and take a few minutes to talk with love about what you're grateful for. But kids are all different, and grief is unique. Just know the Dis fam is all here for you. My condolences.

When my grandmother passed away I was 16 and I avoided Disney for the very same reason (for 5 years) she loved it so much and I didn’t know how I could ever go back without her.

Then I did and I realized she would want me to go, just like your person would want you to go and have fun. Make memories and enjoy life. I’m really glad that I went because it led me down the road to meeting my wife (both CMs) having our beautiful children. The work experience helped me land my career job.

Remember that they loved you and made you happy because that’s what they wanted. For you to be happy.

That was my advice and my results. I hope you go back and your kids go back and you guys enjoy and I’m so so sorry for your loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter