Trying to decide between an early lunch or early dinner at Saana...

kmdrago1783

Mouseketeer
Debating between sleeping in and then heading to Sanna for the earliest available lunch ADR and then heading to AK, or doing AK and then leaving for an early dinner around 5pm. This won't be our only AK day so if we do sleep in not all is lost, lol.

Sunset is at 6:17 at the time of our trip, so we should be good with a 5pm ADR-- will one or the other give us the best shot at receiving a window seat?

1) We NEVER do dinner at Sanaa.
2) Lunch is cheaper, and your get almost the same menu.
3) And, we have yet to go home "hungry" from the lunch portions.
4) Besides, seldom a problem to get a window table and see animals.

If you need a day to sleep in, why not?! We've done both lunch and dinner there multiple times and I like both. Lunch has always seemed less chaotic. I think I would choose the early lunch. I think you might have a better shot at the window seat if you have a reservation when the restaurant first opens. We've gone multiple times and even without a window seat could still see the animals during daylight hours.

If you want the best shot at a window seat, lunch is your best option. It is much slower there for lunch. Sanaa was our absolute favorite restaurant until they changed the menu several times and our true favorites didn't make the cuts, so I cannot speak about today's menu; however, I assume lunch is still just as good as dinner, and it will cost less. Enjoy!

Hard to go wrong with Sanaa. As others have said, if you get there when the restaurant first opens you will have a good chance at a window seat. Also, if you are not in a hurry, you can wait for a window seat to open up if all of the are taken when you get there. We have done that a couple of times. We told them we prefer to wait for a window. We never had to wait long, and we had nice places to sit and watch the animals while we waited.

Lunch does have a few less expensive options. Sanaa is one of the few restaurants at WDW that still has a different lunch and dinner menu. Check out the menu for both. Dinner offers some nice entrees that are not offered at lunch, while lunch offers less expensive sandwiches, as well as a couple of the more expensive dinner entrees (those cost the same as they do at dinner).

My main concern in your situation would be having to leave AK at a certain time. I like to take my time at AK and there is so much to see and do- especially with Pandora. The animal trails are nice in the early evening, too, and you would miss your evening hours at AK if you had to leave to eat. You might be doing something you enjoy and have to leave it so you can hurry back to make a reservation. That is no fun. Sounds like a good day to sleep in, have an early lunch at Sanaa, and then have time to explore AK for the rest of the day.

I am another that will vote for Sanna for lunch. Probably my favorite place to eat on property. I personally would rather have a leisurely lunch then hit the park. No pressure to leave to get to a ressie. Get the bread service if you do anything. It's fantastic.
Enjoy.

We're planning to go for a late lunch (2:30) for a mid-day rest on our AK day and then return to AK afterward. Still waiting to see what the final hours will be in October for AK.

Is the bread service with all the dips included in the deluxe dining plan?
We got this as a single appetizer last month! My husband ordered the kefta appetizer... We were soooo full after 3 courses, but it was our last meal at WDW...

I've made 6:45 reservations for dinner in early March (the 1st, I think) at Sanaa, but will it be too dark by then to see any animals at the front end of our reservation? It gets so dark where I live early in the winter, I can't remember what it's like back East as I've been here for 10 years, lol.

Sanaa's lunch and dinner entrees aren't remotely the same anymore, they have some carry over appetizers and two carry over entrees. This was how it was when we went for lunch in January of last year as well. Dinner is far more "adventurous" than lunch now. It was the selling point for going for lunch with another party we went down with to try to do a somewhat adventurous meal with not at all adventurous eaters. I hope the Dinner stays this way as we wanted to some of the entrees on the current dinner menu

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/animal-kingdom-villas-kidani/sanaa/menus/dinner/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/animal-kingdom-villas-kidani/sanaa/menus/lunch/

If you end up not getting a window seat you can head out on the observation deck to watch the animals before and or after your meal as the pagers will work outside.

I've almost never have been seated at Sanaa at time of check in and have always had 5-15 minutes to see the animals.

Last edited:
I have an 8pm reservation that I made in hopes of doing the night safari tour but since there's no openings for this tour on any of the dates I can fit AKL I'm planning on changing my reservation to an early dinner so we can see the animals at dusk. I'm thinking about a 5pm dinner, do you guys think that's early enough to see the animals?

I have an 8pm reservation that I made in hopes of doing the night safari tour but since there's no openings for this tour on any of the dates I can fit AKL I'm planning on changing my reservation to an early dinner so we can see the animals at dusk. I'm thinking about a 5pm dinner, do you guys think that's early enough to see the animals?

Sanaa opens at 5pm for dinner, I think, so that's the earliest you can do dinner, anyway.

I don't think you'll have a problem with that, but I'm a newb, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter