Trying to decide between DLH and GC

SOCALMouseMommy

DIS Veteran
Last year we stayed at the DLH for Dapper Days and had such a great time! We want to go again this year. This time it will be just me, my mom and my 3.5 son.

I’m trying to decide between the DLH and the GC. Price difference is negligible. Last year was our first time staying at the DLH and we’ve never stayed at the GC.

We LOVED the DLH! It’s was so awesome! Loved the pools (even in November), loved Trader Sams loved the rooms. I would be perfectly happy to go back but I have to wonder if I should experience the GC? Any advice?

We love the Grand! I have teenagers, so, they ride Grizzly Rapids over and over and over again until they are soaking wet, then they head back to the room for a quick change and to head back to the parks. With that said, if you love the DLH, stay there, but, if you want to try the Grand, give it a go! Either way, you are at Disneyland! Woohoo!!! Have a great time.

We also love GCH, I would always say to stay there if you can, and especially if there is not a big price difference! The proximity alone is so worth it to so many people, (including me) and I think with a 3 1/2 yo, would be even more worth it. I have teenagers, but it would be awesome if We stayed there when they were small. If you like to take mid day breaks it’s even better! It’s been about 10 years since I’ve stayed at the DLH, so I haven’t seen the remodeled rooms and the sparkly headboards and all, but I just love how quick it it to get to everything from the Grand. I’d say do it for the experience either way, but I’m sure you’d enjoy it. You can always pop over to Trader Sams, and maybe even use the DLH pools (I think they’ll still let you) if you are staying at GCH... good luck, I’m chomping the bit, as I’m going to GCH all next week, lol

Last edited:
We did the same - stayed at the DLH last year for Dapper Days (which was also our 1st trip) and loved it! Loved it all so much we immediately started planning our next trip for this November. We planned on DLH again, but when we saw the GCH rate we knew we had to give it a try. Last year we loved the proximity and feel of walking back at night through DTD, and can't wait to be right there in the middle of it at the Grand! Easy for mid-day swimming breaks and for tired kids at the end of the day, plus my husband and I will both need to spend some time working in the room so it will be easy for one of us to take the kids in the parks and the other one to pop in and out as needed. So that decision was easy...now I wish I could decide on our DD outfits!

We love both of them! I find DLH more magical (and our whole family loves Trader Sam's), but The Grand Californian is SO convenient, and the kids love everything about the lobby--fireplace, rocking chairs, etc., as do I. Despite the allure of the cool DLR slides, our kids seem to still prefer the GCH pool area. I think it feels more resort-ish, and my guess is that they (ages 13 and 10) feel that it seems more special in that way, too. To give context about what kind of hotel/traveling people we are, though we do sometimes go to very nice hotels, it isn't the norm for our vacations. In general, we stay at Marriott Courtyard-type places, and we also are fine staying at places that are less-frills than that, especially if there is free parking or free breakfast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter