Trying To decide Where to purchase me HOME RESORT PLEASE HELP

Victoriapeluso

Mouseketeer
Hey there! I am finally going to take the plunge into the world of DVC. My family of four goes once a year for about a week. We are Epcot people mainly, but love every part. Our kids are young 6.5 and 4. I am TORN between Rivera, becasue if the incentives, and Boardwalk Inn, becasue of the location! I have heard so many people speak against Rivera, and I was set on it... but we also like OWK and Grand Floridian... although I was told GV is sold out. Thinking abut the new Poly tower, but I miss the old style of the Poly... kinda feel like it looks like a Mariott these days.... I miss the heavy Tiki look 1970's vibe. ANYWays please advise!

I'm not a huge fan of Riviera. I think it looks like a basic building with lots of rooms crammed together. But, my favorite resort is Bay Lake Tower, which gets the same complaints from other people. So, it's really all your own personal preference.

Boardwalk expires much sooner. If you want to stay at Riviera, you either need to buy direct or buy there. I think Grand Floridian would be a great resale option for you, or Riviera makes sense if you're going to buy direct and really want to stay there.

I would choose Boardwalk over Rivera. We have always enjoyed vacations at the Beach Club prior to DVC. We love that area and I prefer not to rely on the Skyliner for transportation. The Boardwalk is perfect. Lots of DVC rooms and good point values. If buying the Boardwalk Villas I would buy resale. It's a huge savings.

You may also want to consider Boardwalk expires in 2042 and Riviera in 2070. Your kids are young so you may want something that will last longer. Just something else to consider. Really every resort has something to offer. You can't go wrong.

We just stayed at Riviera and were able to be first in line at rope drop at Hollywood Studios and Epcot using the skyliner. Not to mention we enjoyed the skyliner much more than the monorail as transportation.

Also, RR restaurants had great food. We loved everything we tried. We have been planning on buying poly tower but now are reconsidering. Riviera only makes sense direct though IMO.

You may also want to consider Boardwalk expires in 2042 and Riviera in 2070. Your kids are young so you may want something that will last longer. Just something else to consider. Really every resort has something to offer. You can't go wrong.
This is definitely something to consider. I regularly book Boardwalk with my Riviera points but my points won't expire for another 28 years after Boardwalk's expire. That being said as much as I love BWV and BCV, I also don't feel like I MUST stay there each time which really is only possible if you own at those resorts. I wanted something I knew my future kids and maybe even grandkids would be able to use for years to come.

Also, if you like 1BRs, it makes it considerably easier to book Boardwalk with non home resort points like resale SSR and makes it less important to own there.

I don't think anyone's going to be able to tell you things you don't already know. There are pros and cons to any resort. Prioritize what's important to you and your family.
Riviera- length of contract / skyliner access are pros. Resale restrictions are a con, but a direct purchase would give you access to all Disney resorts. Beautiful modern resort
Boardwalk- location is a pro. Length of contract is a con. Bought resale might limit you from future resorts.

There's no right or wrong answer here. Do what feels right.

Also, have you considered simply renting points each year if you're unsure of where to buy? I

We love RIV and stay there almost every trip as part of a split stay. The trips I didn't I rather regret it! I think it offers great options and the Skyliner to two parks has been nice.

Resale restrictions didn't bother us becaue we see the value in owning and using and not some potentail value we might get when we sell.

We did sell BWV for RIV as my adult kids want to use it much longer so the 2070 expiration was a big deal for us. We were set on potentially adding on via Poly Tower but with the potential now it will be part of PVB, it isn't for us as a home resort...unless it goes into the trust and there are some plusses to it being there.

We do own VGF and SSR as well...I think the biggest piece is buy a place that you don't mind staying every trip just in case things are not easily changable at 7 months. I have seen how it has changed since I became a member 15 years ago and as things change with the product, so could the trading.

Good luck!

I would choose Boardwalk over Rivera. We have always enjoyed vacations at the Beach Club prior to DVC. We love that area and I prefer not to rely on the Skyliner for transportation. The Boardwalk is perfect. Lots of DVC rooms and good point values. If buying the Boardwalk Villas I would buy resale. It's a huge savings.
what are the transportation options at the BWV?

With kids that young I would not buy at a 2042 resort. So even though I would never consider Riviera, that's probably what I would lean toward suggesting. That or Poly resale since that give you the monorail as an option to EPCOT.

Plus, with kids I would guess that Magic Kingdom becomes more of a priority.

My vote would be Riviera. We book it all the time at 7 months with our direct VGF and CCV points. The rooms are great, as well as the location with the Skyliner. For us, the rooms and amenities are far superior to BWV, and the extra 28 years on the deed would seal the deal.

We love and own Riviera direct. The Skyliner/compact footprint make it a huge plus for us, plus total usability of the rooms is great.

Poly 2.0 will be going on sale this year. You could buy resale now and hopefully all the speculating is correct that it's part of the Poly 1.0 association, or wait to see direct incentives so you could enjoy both parts of the resort; studios and new tower.

The blue card/direct benefits *may* be nice to have for APs and locking in points that are totally unrestricted for future resorts, although I am souring on this spiel from DVC as they keep adding more resorts into existing ones, but that's my bugaboo, not yours.

BW/BC/HH/VB/OKW are expiring 2042. That's 18 years away. We bought in 2019 and can't believe it's already been five years. I wouldn't buy those resorts if there's even a glimmer of your family wanting to go when the kids are in their 20s or deeding it as part of your estate plan to the kiddos.

CFW are totally not my cup of tea at all, but they are going on sale 2/1 it sounds like. If that interests you, maybe consider that.

Are you interested in Animal Kingdom resale? You can probably get a great deal, and who doesn't like animals? Dining is excellent there, too.

Really, I have always been leery of totally going with SAP/SS/BLT points if you don't love those resorts. We are tied to the kids' schedules that are peak weeks, sounds like you are, too. People are freaking out about 11-month availability in December of 2024 at their HOME resorts and people walking reservations. If you are stuck going school vacations/holiday weeks, you'll need to be where you love.

Lastly, don't count on being in a studio forever with the kids. 1b/2b/3b are amazing, and it's impossible for us to go back to all sharing a room and not having a kitchen/laundry to get settled. Buy enough points to get a 1b where you really love to be. IF you have leftover points (you won't,) you can always do a longer/nicer/more frequent trip rotation.

what are the transportation options at the BWV?
Boardwalk is situated right between EP and HS. Where BCV is about 5 minutes in to EP and near 20 walk to HS, BWV are 10 minute walk to EP, and 15 to HS. Both resorts can use the boats too, and need buses for MK and AK.

You don’t say if your kids are the same sex or not. As they get older that goes into whether you regularly need 2 or 3 beds. The new cabins have 4 beds, which is more than any of the 1 bedrooms or studios so that Is a plus. Some of the 1 bedrooms have 2 bathrooms which may also be a plus down the road. I would also be mindful of the number of points at each resort for your stay, unless you have unlimited resources. Once the kids reach age 10 food costs go way up as they are considered adults for Disney dining. Good Luck on your decision. We have so many great memories from our DVC stays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter