Trying to keep things under wraps

ShannyMcB

DIS Veteran
Hey all. After having to cancel a big family trip to NH this year (aunts uncles cousins grandparents) I said what the heck and booked a trip for my fam of 5 to wdw for August 2021. Will be the first trip for my kids and my husband and my first time back since 2010. A lot has changed and I'll be posting looking for tips on those changes I'm sure!
I am excited but cautiously so. We are not telling the kids until next spring. And will be getting travel insurance just in case. I am a big believer in "if I over prepare it will be a non-issue, I'll be out some $ but it will be worth it."
So...my question. How do I enjoy this time and get rightfully excited without getting TOO into things considering the possibility of having to postpone to an even later date? What are you all doing?
Thanks in advance, glad to be back on disboards.

Eh I called my package booking my 200 dollar dream stay at the Poly. I'm having fun looking at resort pictures, but I'm not too hung up on if we actually go....

My last trip was cancelled in April this year but we didn't tell the kids until one month out. We just did all of our normal planning when the kids went to bed. Just videos and spreadsheets.

We're won't be surprising the kids again. The reveals that I've planned don't have the impact they used to. My 7yo is too smart.

One year (kids we 4 and 6) we did the big surprise the morning of the trip. That was fun. Every other trip we do what we call "countdown parties" leading up to our trips. I surprise the kids (now 9 and 7) with a day themed to a certain Disney movie. We have some decorations, watch the movie, eat foods themed to the movie. We all love it.
We just cancelled our October trip. So sad. And we've been counting down to this one for over a year. My 9 year old said, we just need to keep having countdown parties until we can go! So that's what we're doing! They know that we don't know what the future will bring but that we will be back! Until then we are bringing a little magic to our home whenever we can!

I think you’re right about not telling them until next spring. We never surprise our kids with Disney trips. My oldest wouldn’t do well with such a huge, last minute shock, even if it is something fun! But we don’t tell them too far in advance, either. So for me, if I know we’re planning to go, I enjoy reading these boards and looking at restaurant menus. I form a tentative plan in my head and then try to get my H on board with whatever I want us to do😆

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter