• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trying to plan a trip for February, would you get refundable airfare?

traces7

DIS Veteran
Hello! I haven't travelled in such a long time and I've only flown a handful of times anyway! I am hoping to take a trip with my daughter in February to Arizona and California. When looking at airfare, it has the option to make the tickets totally refundable for any reason. I feel with Covid out there yet, I should get this. It's an extra $100 per ticket, so $200. Do you usually make your tickets refundable? Thank you for any help you can give me!

I would. We have a trip planned for January 31st and I'm betting that'll get cancelled, as well as cruise in Europe for April that I think will probably be cancelled as well.

Hello! I haven't travelled in such a long time and I've only flown a handful of times anyway! I am hoping to take a trip with my daughter in February to Arizona and California. When looking at airfare, it has the option to make the tickets totally refundable for any reason. I feel with Covid out there yet, I should get this. It's an extra $100 per ticket, so $200. Do you usually make your tickets refundable? Thank you for any help you can give me!

I would. Our daughter got caught in the August cluster of canceled flights in Dallas-8 hours away from home.

It was her first time flying and a real mess. After 12 hours of canceled flights and no more flights available for 2 days, we were fortunate to have a friend living in Dallas, pick her up and take her to another airport to get her back on track with a different airline the next day.

If they cancel, you would get your money back. If you have to cancel, that’s a different story.

I bought fully refundable/changable airfare for my last 5 flights starting in August. Too much uncertainty with covid and staffing issues with the airlines. Totally worth it if you can afford it. And a relief not to have that as an added worry while traveling. I will probably still do this until things return to normal or at least semi normal.

In the last 4 months I've traveled by air 4 times to Florida and have another trip planned in February. (Black Friday deal: $20.22 each way. It may be proudest moment. :D ) I haven't purchased refundable airfare and don't plan on it in the future. I'm vaxxed and boosted, so I think the odds of me being unable to travel are slim. If the odds catch up with me, the airfare has been cheap (see above) so I wouldn't be out much.

We didn't get refundable fares but I did make sure we could cancel without penalty. We had to cancel a t-day trip to family due to illness but we know the credit will be used within the year.

I would buy anything but a basic economy fare. The airlines are much more flexible with their other fares.

American Airlines I think. Not sure yet though.
Unfortunately I don't have much experience with them having only flown them like once or twice so I'm probably no help there as far as how easy or not easy they are to deal with should plans change.

I usually fly Southwest Airlines (primarily) or Delta for the most part.

Here is the current AA policy on changes.

No more change fees for all domestic, short-haul international and select long-haul international flying on Premium Cabin, Premium Economy and Main Cabin fares. Basic Economy fares bought on or after April 1, 2021 are non-refundable and non-changeable.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/coronavirus-updates.jsp#travelflexibility
I'm looking at a Main Cabin fare price I believe. So that would mean you could change it to another date with no fees, if for some reason we couldn't go? But I couldn't totally cancel it and get my money back, correct? I'm fine with that, as long as I could reschedule for another time if something happened.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a Main Cabin fare price I believe. So that would mean you could change it to another date with no fees, if for some reason we couldn't go? But I couldn't totally cancel it and get my money back, correct? I'm fine with that, as long as I could reschedule for another time if something happened.
That is correct. But a fare increase may apply. Or a decrease in which case you get a future flight credit good for a year.

Delta has a very similar policy right now.

Not sure about United.

I have used the policy to my advantage. Watching for drops in prices and getting the trip repriced. Recently got $130 per person back for one trip and $30 for another. Used the credits for another trip.

I would. We have a trip planned for January 31st and I'm betting that'll get cancelled, as well as cruise in Europe for April that I think will probably be cancelled as well.

ugh. We are in exact same boat w/ Europe cruise. We are tossing around possibly postponing it (again :( ) but hoping to have to.

Domestic travel I wouldn't hesitate - I have three trips between now & March 31st when we are scheduled to leave for our 4th trip, the cruise. But they are all stateside so I'm not to worried about them.

If your flights can be on Southwest, that is the way to go. I've gotten tickets and cancelled about three times since COVID came up in March 2020.

Thanks for all your help! I'm still not sure what I'm doing. I'm leaning toward not paying the extra to make it refundable. The reason I'm leaning toward American Airlines also is because they have a direct flight at decent times. Most of the other airlines had stops.

Thanks for all your help! I'm still not sure what I'm doing. I'm leaning toward not paying the extra to make it refundable. The reason I'm leaning toward American Airlines also is because they have a direct flight at decent times. Most of the other airlines had stops.
Hold off on any seat purchases as those are non refundable and do not give you future credit if canceled or moved to a new date.

I would:
Covid could play into your flight being cancelled IF they have to find a replacement pilot, or flight attendants for those who can not work.
and depending on your vaccination status you may have to be vaccinated ( a real possibility}

The amount of cancelled flights over the past week is simply scary. i would not be flying anywhere now.

DH and I recently booked flights to Seattle, for beginning of May. Used points on SW, there is no downside, should we need to postpone or cancel.

while Covid is still a daily news event, I would only buy refundable tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter