Trying to teach my fiancé about money and financials

I'm really appreciating everyone's insight here! Granted I was a little heated when I posted this, it is something that we definitely need to work through. We both have our faults and we need to find some middle ground.

To answer your last questions, I went to college about 2.5 hours from home so I did live away. He did not attend college. He started working full time right away and has lived at home forever. And we currently make very similar salaries, but his is gauranteed to be higher than mine by next year, albeit not by too much.

So, in 5+ years of working since high school full time, he hasn't saved enough living at home for the $40K car, nor to pay off his motorcycle? Do his parents charge him for his portion of all his bills (mortgage, utilities, food, insurance, etc?) If not, he probably needs some time living on his own to see for himself how he values needs vs wants and what it takes to make a salary work and what he can really afford with what he makes...

So, in 5+ years of working since high school full time, he hasn't saved enough living at home for the $40K car, nor to pay off his motorcycle? Do his parents charge him for his portion of all his bills (mortgage, utilities, food, insurance, etc?) If not, he probably needs some time living on his own to see for himself how he values needs vs wants and what it takes to make a salary work and what he can really afford with what he makes...

The fact that he has been working full time and living at home for FIVE YEARS and STILL needed to take out a loan to buy a motorcycle is a HUGE problem. What the heck does he spend his money on???

The fact that he has been working full time and living at home for FIVE YEARS and STILL needed to take out a loan to buy a motorcycle is a HUGE problem. What the heck does he spend his money on???

Yeah.

2 possibilities, as I see it:

1) he has a lot of fun toys. No inclination to be responsible. Dump his @&&.

2) he subsidizes his parents' lifestyle. It's entirely possible that while he doesn't pay rent, he pitches in to get the car fixed or go out for dinner or go on his parents expensive vacations. I've learned to ask for cash up front from my parents. And to never volunteer to pay. On the flip side of that, I've got friends who think they can vacation like their parents. the parents expect them to pay their own way but also expect them to participate as a family. They blame their parents but all they have to say is no, I can't eat there, or no, I don't want to stay at that hotel.

If it's that second one? You may need to move across the country and establish some real firm boundaries when it comes to vacations and visits.

But again...it's about priorities. I'm trying really hard to not be critical. But I suspect either the two of you are not on the same page and you're deluding yourself that this is going somewhere...or the two of you really aren't ready to get married any time soon.

I'd probably talk to him about a timeline. As in, does he have one, relationship wise. Do YOU have one relationship wise? If there's a joint, defined goal the two of you are working towards, you can negotiate about the truck. If there is no agreement, no timeline- stay out of it.

I don't have a problem with the fact you moved back in with your parents to pay off loans. But let me ask you this: if you feel like you don't have money to get married now, how much money do you feel like you need to get married?

And you mentioned you went away to college- but did you actually rent an apartment, pay for everything yourself, be completely reliant on the income that you made. Because of not, I seriously think you need to try that. For one thing, it'll give you the skill set help get him on the right track if he is serious about marriage.

Because I can tell you from experience that living off your wages is not the same thing as living off your student loans with on campus food.

Oh, I want to address the "we're young" thing from the prospective of 50 and having watched a lot of my friends grow up.

From 50, the people who started "adulting" earlier, who didn't make excuses like "we are young," who understood that time was passing - they are the people who are in good positions for retirement. Their kids are older and heading to college - even though almost none of us had our kids young or even married that young. Their houses are nearly paid off - or will be when they want to retire. Their 401ks will provide a livable income.

The ones who put off adulting because they had plenty of time are much messier now that they are older. They delayed kids because they had time and were not ready - so I know people who are 60 with middle schoolers, and people who are 50 with elementary schoolers. They bought homes late, and are looking at mortgages they won't be able to afford on social security. They didn't start their 401ks until late and so won't have much income beyond social security.

You think 23 and 24 isn't that old, but age is going to sneak up on you very fast. A five year car loan at 24 is being paid off at 29. A 30 year mortgage at 30 is paid off when you are 60. I'm not saying "have those kids today, buy a house today" - you ARE still young - but I am saying that a change in mindset from "we have plenty of time" to "understand what goals we have and how that relates to the time we have" can make a drastic difference.

And for people of my generation, it was easier than it is for people of yours. We got the boom economy of the 90s. Our student loan burdens were more manageable.

This is very true. DH and I never thought we were acting "older" than our age until recently. We now know many people who are nearly our age (36/37) who still consider themselves to be rather young and carefree-- no house, no kids, no savings, lots of debt, still figuring out careers, etc. Everyone Is entitled to choose the priorities they feel are best for them, but I am glad that DH and I have always been on the same page. It's comforting to me that we are very financially stable and are now able to plan our dreams and goals for when our kids are all grown (7 years from now).

I have really been shocked by how many people I know in their mid-20s (including married couples) whose parents still pay for many of their expenses including health insurance, car insurance, and student loans. I had three kids, a house, and zero debt at that age.

This is very true. DH and I never thought we were acting "older" than our age until recently. We now know many people who are nearly our age (36/37) who still consider themselves to be rather young and carefree-- no house, no kids, no savings, lots of debt, still figuring out careers, etc. Everyone Is entitled to choose the priorities they feel are best for them, but I am glad that DH and I have always been on the same page. It's comforting to me that we are very financially stable and are now able to plan our dreams and goals for when our kids are all grown (7 years from now).

I have really been shocked by how many people I know in their mid-20s (including married couples) whose parents still pay for many of their expenses including health insurance, car insurance, and student loans. I had three kids, a house, and zero debt at that age.

Everyone is in a different situation though. Assuming you went to college, how did you fund it? Assuming you didn't go to college, what job did you get that made it possible for you to have 3 kids? And pay health insurance? I'm assuming you have health insurance, because pregnancy would have put you deep into debt. there's a difference between "finding yourself" and doing your best to stay afloat but still needing help once in a while.

Really, the only people I know without student loan debt either had all of their expenses covered by parents or had parents who were lower income so the student got lots of grant money.

Everyone is in a different situation though. Assuming you went to college, how did you fund it? Assuming you didn't go to college, what job did you get that made it possible for you to have 3 kids? And pay health insurance? I'm assuming you have health insurance, because pregnancy would have put you deep into debt. there's a difference between "finding yourself" and doing your best to stay afloat but still needing help once in a while.

Really, the only people I know without student loan debt either had all of their expenses covered by parents or had parents who were lower income so the student got lots of grant money.

I was not trying to be rude or judge, so I apologize if it came across that way. There are plenty of things others have enjoyed in their youth that DH & I "missed out" on, so I was not saying one way is right or wrong... just agreeing with a PP that lifestyle and long term goals are something to consider before choosing a spouse.

For example, some couples feel having one parent stay home when the children are young is a priority. That's something you would need to plan/budget for in advance. If that's something the OP would like to have the ability to do, they will not be able to afford it if they have loads of debt from things like $40k trucks and motorcycles. Again, not saying that's what they SHOULD do, just that it would be good to discuss before getting married.

If you're really interested, DH and I both worked while we went to college. Neither of our parents contributed a penny (not even application fees), but I was "lucky" that my family was poor so I did receive a good amount of financial aid. (I even did my parents taxes so I could fill out the FAFSA myself.) Neither of us were covered under our parents' health insurance policies during college, so we had to pay ourselves for the emergency policies offered through our schools. Even with working multiple jobs each, we came out with some student loans (about $15,000 between the two of us). We made that a priority, lived modestly, and paid all the debt within a few years of graduating. (DH is a nurse, I stayed home for several years with the kids.)

I think it's nice that parents are willing and able to help their adult children (my oldest is currently in college and we are supporting her). I just said that I was surprised. I genuinely did not realize until very recently that it was the "norm" for parents to pay for basic expenses (car insurance, loans, etc) for their married adult children (college students, yes, but not beyond college). These were things that DH & I were responsible for even when we were teenagers living at home, so it was a completely foreign idea to me. We have several friends in their mid-20s and early-30s whose parents pay for these things. It has never been presented as something they "need" to get by financially, it's just that the parents have offered and they accept because they think it's just "normal" that parents pay for things. Their parents also take them on vacations, out to dinner, etc and they have never contributed. They are perfectly nice and generous people, they have just been taught that's the parent's role.

I was not trying to be rude or judge, so I apologize if it came across that way. There are plenty of things others have enjoyed in their youth that DH & I "missed out" on, so I was not saying one way is right or wrong... just agreeing with a PP that lifestyle and long term goals are something to consider before choosing a spouse.

For example, some couples feel having one parent stay home when the children are young is a priority. That's something you would need to plan/budget for in advance. If that's something the OP would like to have the ability to do, they will not be able to afford it if they have loads of debt from things like $40k trucks and motorcycles. Again, not saying that's what they SHOULD do, just that it would be good to discuss before getting married.

If you're really interested, DH and I both worked while we went to college. Neither of our parents contributed a penny (not even application fees), but I was "lucky" that my family was poor so I did receive a good amount of financial aid. (I even did my parents taxes so I could fill out the FAFSA myself.) Neither of us were covered under our parents' health insurance policies during college, so we had to pay ourselves for the emergency policies offered through our schools. Even with working multiple jobs each, we came out with some student loans (about $15,000 between the two of us). We made that a priority, lived modestly, and paid all the debt within a few years of graduating. (DH is a nurse, I stayed home for several years with the kids.)

I think it's nice that parents are willing and able to help their adult children (my oldest is currently in college and we are supporting her). I just said that I was surprised. I genuinely did not realize until very recently that it was the "norm" for parents to pay for basic expenses (car insurance, loans, etc) for their married adult children (college students, yes, but not beyond college). These were things that DH & I were responsible for even when we were teenagers living at home, so it was a completely foreign idea to me. We have several friends in their mid-20s and early-30s whose parents pay for these things. It has never been presented as something they "need" to get by financially, it's just that the parents have offered and they accept because they think it's just "normal" that parents pay for things. Their parents also take them on vacations, out to dinner, etc and they have never contributed. They are perfectly nice and generous people, they have just been taught that's the parent's role.

I think it is fine to live at home after college in order to pay down debt, especially if the person really is putting a very large percentage of their earnings towards eliminating their loans. The reality is that it would be very hard for some people otherwise. A kid just mooching off mom and dad without really accomplishing anything (paying down loans, saving for a house down payment, etc.)? That is where I see a problem.

Right out of college, I didn't live at my parent's home. I moved somewhere else to study for and take the bar exam and then look for a job. My parents supported me for those 7 months and I am eternally grateful for the help. But after that, my bills were my own. I am actively working towards being in a position to help my own kids by paying for college and providing some support while they get established in their first jobs. I actually think it is pretty rare, especially once a child gets married, for parents to continue what I would call lifestyle supplementation. But maybe I am wrong?

A little backstory: I am 24 and my fiancé is 23. We both currently still live at home until we can afford to get our own place. Luckily, we live within 10 minutes of each other and both of our families are ok with us staying over so we are together very often.

My parents raised me to think about money and how I spend it. I make sure to budget and save what I can and do not make big purchases without thinking about them first. I graduated college 2 years ago with about 60k in student loans. Since then, I bought a great used car for about 15k which I paid off in 10 months and have also paid about 15k towards both of my loans. Personally, I think that is a pretty good start for me!

My fiancé's family is the exact opposite. They seem to buy what that want because they want it and worry about paying it off later. They go on vacations that they can't afford and then complain that they can't fix what they need to in their house. It bothers me so much!!!!! My fiancé currently has a motorcycle payment that he still owes a decent amount on, but he also needs a new car. I am trying to get him to understand that he cannot afford a nice truck or jeep like he wants. He needs to get something that will work for him, but that he can also afford to pay for. We are trying to get married and move out, so a 40k car isn't really realistic for him because he does still have that motorcycle payment too. But every time I think I'm getting somewhere with him, his dad comes in and brings him back to 'oh you need a truck' without thinking about the financial aspects.

How can I get him to see that he can't afford it!? I don't understand how his family thinks this is ok!!!!

What kind of work does your boyfriend do for a living, that he needs a truck? Construction is the one I can think of off the top of my head that warrants a truck IF he has to haul lots of tools and supplies on a daily basis. If so, certified used is the way to go. I am with others on the board not to move in with him yet. You guys really need to talk and plan your future together. If he doesn't want to, it may be a deal breaker.
Good luck to you.

It isn't the norm, nor it should be.

Yeah, I don't really think so either. My parents do help me. But it's more for emergencies. Their parents helped them in that way too.

I will say that my parents usually pay for dinner and vacations but they aren't things that I pick. It's more that they want me along, know that I can't afford it. But these aren't glamorous things we're talking about- nachos at the bar and a weekend at the coast.

Every situation is unique, and its what you do with the situation. I have two friends, who I'm going to call Karen and Sean - minor details have been changed to protect them

They both graduated from the same expensive private college. Sean's college was trust fund funded. Karen got through on a financial aid package that included loans. They are both my age - so they graduated from college in 1988.

Karen took a job as a loan processor - the job didn't require a college education, but a college education gave her upward mobility in the job. In eighteen months she was a team lead and in another year a team supervisor. She lived in a small apartment with a room mate, took the bus, and paid down her loans aggressively. She basically started "adulting."

Sean couldn't find a job worthy of his degree, so he lived off his trust fund and delivered pizzas part time - and played a lot of video games. After eighteen months, his trustees told him to do something, and about the time Karen moved into a management position three years after graduation, Sean started working on his PhD.

Several years later, Sean finished with a masters - which wasn't enough to teach. About this time the dot com boom was happening. Karen moved into one of the many expanding IT positions that were available - with a huge jump in salary - not as a developer, but as a analyst, something her liberal arts degree well prepared her for. Sean interviewed for those positions, but had no real world experience, refused to cut his hair or cover his tattoo, and made it pretty obvious that he wasn't really interested in participating in corporate America. He was probably one of the few under employed people in the late 90s.

Karen married her college sweetheart. By now her loans (and his) were paid off and they had a downpayment for a house. They had a son soon after they married - who is now in college - and a daughter after that - who is in high school. Karen continued to climb the corporate ladder, her husband has done well too. They traded their starter home for a larger home when their daughter came along. They've never driven brand new cars, take reasonable vacations, and live well - but within their means. There son will graduate from a state school with no debt.

Sean continues to avoid growing up. The trust fund has mostly run out, and he makes a living doing some freelance work. In his mid 30s he married - his wife is a teacher and mainly supports them. Five years ago, when he was in his mid 40s (his wife is ten years younger), they had their first child - he kept saying they had plenty of time and he wasn't ready yet. She's getting to her wits end - once the family money runs dry, they have no assets and a kid, and he still wants to pretend he's nineteen.

In other words - Sean started with a head start, he should have been able to leverage that into a financially secure future, but didn't have the knowledge or desire to do so - he didn't want to grow up. Karen started with the student loans most people do, but she made grown up choices about what she was going to do.

I'll say I haven't read all the comments but I'm close to your age (and so is my boyfriend) and currently we're working out financials. Just some backstory: Both of us grew up in relatively well-off families, even though our families had our own difficulties (my dad is disabled, so my mom was the only one working, however she had a very very good job) and both our families had different lifestyles. Both our families were careful with money, however his dad definitely gave him more financial advice and such before. We do not currently live together, he lives at home with a full-time job and I rent an apartment with a roommate and I work two jobs at my university during the semester and I'll do an internship over the summer. Job outlook looks good for both us (he's in IT and I'm in biotech).

You definitely need to get on the same page financially. Also, while neither of us have loans currently (I will have about 10k in loans after next year and I graduate with my MS), that shouldn't scare you from moving out, especially if you have a job already. While I worry about my loans I know I just need to be smart with my money. Currently, any big purchases I'm going to make I talk to my bf about before hand. He does this with me too. Examples: The galaxy S8 came out and he wanted it so badly, but instead of just purchasing it, we talked about it and went through his personal financial situation before he pre-ordered it. In January my car broke down out-of-state and I had to get it fixed (I told them the minimum) and so when I go back to get my car inspected in my home state I talked with him about if I should run a diagnostic test to still make sure everything is okay. Financially I could afford it, but it would affect things we wanted to do over the summer. We are also planning a disney vacation once I graduate, which is something we talked about financially for a very long time. While my mom is paying for most of it (it's a long story as to why my mom pays for vacations, but it has to do with our family dynamic), portions of it is still on us.

I would try making a mock-up budget, and showing him why the brand new truck may not be feasible, especially if you live together. Does he need a truck for work? Why is his reasoning for needing a brand new car? Also you should talk to him about why you feel it isn't important / what is important to you financially. This isn't a you're right / he's wrong situation, it's definitely a give and take. You both have to compromise.

People can learn, but it's HARD. I grew up quite well off with my parents buying me basically whatever I wanted. My DH did not. He is excellent at telling himself no, and I am terrible at it. I got us into loads of debt before Dave Ramsey came along and I saw the light. I'm now the budget nerd in our house, but I still slip up from time to time (hello tupperware party last night!). It can be done, but it's HARD. Read Dave's Total Money Makeover, as well as his daughter Rachel Cruze's book Love Your Life, Not Theirs. Those two books helped me tremendously. Good luck.

Every situation is unique, and its what you do with the situation. I have two friends, who I'm going to call Karen and Sean - minor details have been changed to protect them

They both graduated from the same expensive private college. Sean's college was trust fund funded. Karen got through on a financial aid package that included loans. They are both my age - so they graduated from college in 1988.

Karen took a job as a loan processor - the job didn't require a college education, but a college education gave her upward mobility in the job. In eighteen months she was a team lead and in another year a team supervisor. She lived in a small apartment with a room mate, took the bus, and paid down her loans aggressively. She basically started "adulting."

Sean couldn't find a job worthy of his degree, so he lived off his trust fund and delivered pizzas part time - and played a lot of video games. After eighteen months, his trustees told him to do something, and about the time Karen moved into a management position three years after graduation, Sean started working on his PhD.

Several years later, Sean finished with a masters - which wasn't enough to teach. About this time the dot com boom was happening. Karen moved into one of the many expanding IT positions that were available - with a huge jump in salary - not as a developer, but as a analyst, something her liberal arts degree well prepared her for. Sean interviewed for those positions, but had no real world experience, refused to cut his hair or cover his tattoo, and made it pretty obvious that he wasn't really interested in participating in corporate America. He was probably one of the few under employed people in the late 90s.

Karen married her college sweetheart. By now her loans (and his) were paid off and they had a downpayment for a house. They had a son soon after they married - who is now in college - and a daughter after that - who is in high school. Karen continued to climb the corporate ladder, her husband has done well too. They traded their starter home for a larger home when their daughter came along. They've never driven brand new cars, take reasonable vacations, and live well - but within their means. There son will graduate from a state school with no debt.

Sean continues to avoid growing up. The trust fund has mostly run out, and he makes a living doing some freelance work. In his mid 30s he married - his wife is a teacher and mainly supports them. Five years ago, when he was in his mid 40s (his wife is ten years younger), they had their first child - he kept saying they had plenty of time and he wasn't ready yet. She's getting to her wits end - once the family money runs dry, they have no assets and a kid, and he still wants to pretend he's nineteen.

In other words - Sean started with a head start, he should have been able to leverage that into a financially secure future, but didn't have the knowledge or desire to do so - he didn't want to grow up. Karen started with the student loans most people do, but she made grown up choices about what she was going to do.

Right. I agree. I was more saying that simply just because you see one element of the equation- such as parents helping the kid- does not mean the person isn't being an adult.

I misread the previous poster as judging those people. I've heard similar sentiments from people who say- well, I have no debt, so why would anyone have any debt? But they don't take into account that their parents paid for school or that they have relatively good health. (My first credit card debt, unlike many of my friends, was not due to shopping. It was due to a health emergency, and I was between health care plans. Just bad luck that everything happened in a one month span). Or people say they can buy a house on 30,000 a year, so why can't everyone- without taking coat of living into account. And I get frustrated by that.

But back to the OP's problem...I would argue that the problem with "Sean"
isn't that he wants to live like he's 19. There's nothing wrong with freelance. There's nothing wrong with video games. There is actually no problem with deciding to be childless. The problem is that he's not on the same page as his wife. He's not being straight with her. I mean your acquaintance has a problem if he's blaming his situation on external factors. I have no toleration for excuses. But it's entirely possible that Sean's lifestyle works for him, and either he's lying to his wife, or she's not hearing what he's saying.

And in the OP's case, either the fiancé is lying about their future or she has just built an entire house of cards in her head. I've seen it both ways with friends and family. The OP says fiancé but doesn't mention anything about a set wedding date or a ring, and to me, that's kind of a warning sign. There isn't to me a question of "trying to get married and move out". Either you're doing it or not doing it. Like you can say you're saving up money to have kids, but I don't find that anyone really does that. They have kids and figure out their budget accordingly. Or it's an excuse to not have kids- but it's not the reason. My guess is that Sean will never be ready. Simply because he doesn't want kids. I'm sympathetic to his wife but I'd tell her what I've told siblings in similar relationships. "Honey, get a grip. He doesn't want kids. So either you stay with him and accept that or you leave him and find someone who does."

I'm really appreciating everyone's insight here! Granted I was a little heated when I posted this, it is something that we definitely need to work through. We both have our faults and we need to find some middle ground.

To answer your last questions, I went to college about 2.5 hours from home so I did live away. He did not attend college. He started working full time right away and has lived at home forever. And we currently make very similar salaries, but his is gauranteed to be higher than mine by next year, albeit not by too much.

Thanks for answering my questions. I'm still curious if you have a wedding day set or is this just an open ended engagement? Most people I know get a ring, pop the question, and then get into planning mode for the wedding. And who is going to pay for the wedding & the honeymoon? And the apartment or house? Unless someone else is paying for these things, it doesn't seem like you are getting married anytime soon if he buys that truck.

I support using a Dave Ramsey program. We follow his budget steps and it's worked a miracle. For background, my husband and I are 24 and 25 and have been married for 4 years. We are both fairly responsible with money but I can tend to be a tad more impulsive, though not with anything major.

The first step is to see where your money is going. Maybe you can approach it with your fiance as something you can do at the same time (but not 'together'- I would suggest doing your own cash flows separately since you don't share income yet). Track all of your purchases for a few months. We use everydollar.com (which is free but offers a 'premium' version) and it's great. While you're just tracking, don't worry about setting the right budget limits. Just use it to check your flow against income that YOU make (not anything that you or he borrows from parents). At the end of each month, see if your spending is less than your income. Then use those few months and the budgets that Ramsey suggests to find a budget that works for your lifestyle.

Work through this together and compare your budgets and really talk about how you can meet in the middle. If you're looking toward marriage, he has to understand your needs and your financial 'baggage'. If he is not willing to meet your needs (and these are needs, not wants) then definitely hold back on marriage. But it's the same for you. This process should help identify your needs. Money is money but it's also an indication of where your priorities are. Understand his priorities to make sure you are up to meeting them. For life.

It sounds like the two of you need to have some really good conversations and maybe get a professional counselor involved (which, by the way, just because you see a relationship counselor does NOT mean that you are having problems or have a bad relationship. Just the opposite- it means you are both willing to take necessary steps to strengthen your relationship). I would suggest doing that before you think about moving in with each other or getting married.

I am hesitant to jump in, because everyone has different views on money.
My personal opinion is that when you owe money, every $ you spend is loaned. Someone has a $25K car loan? Well because you owe that money, the $5 you spend on coffee is loaned to you, even when you're paying in "cash."
Eliminate debt, get on the same page about money. I am several years older than you, but still in my 20's; you're not too young to start doing some serious financial planning, including investing.

Last edited:
I am hesitant to jump in, because everyone has different views on money.
My personal opinion is that any debt is essentially an emergency- when you owe money, every $ you spend is loaned. Someone has a $25K car loan? Well because you owe that money, the $5 you spend on coffee is loaned to you, even when you're paying in "cash." Eliminate debt, get on the same page about money. I am several years older than you, but still in my 20's; you're not too young to start doing some serious financial planning, including investing.

I respect your opinion about debt, but it's a very extreme one. Debt is only an emergency if there is no income source, or the potential for the income source to be lost. Some people have debt but VERY secure jobs, and the ability to EVENTUALLY pay it off. This is what drives mortgages and credit cards and loans.

We have debt, but we also have a guaranteed income source, so I feel no sense of urgency to pay it off. I am being aggressive with it now because we have other savings goals for the future.

But, an emergency? Not even close.

Thanks for answering my questions. I'm still curious if you have a wedding day set or is this just an open ended engagement? Most people I know get a ring, pop the question, and then get into planning mode for the wedding. And who is going to pay for the wedding & the honeymoon? And the apartment or house? Unless someone else is paying for these things, it doesn't seem like you are getting married anytime soon if he buys that truck.

We do not have a date set. We knew and agreed from the time we got engaged that it would be open ended until we got more settled and are both still ok with that. We've also agreed from the beginning on a small courthouse wedding with just a little dinner reception after, so definitely nothing fancy.

I support using a Dave Ramsey program. We follow his budget steps and it's worked a miracle. For background, my husband and I are 24 and 25 and have been married for 4 years. We are both fairly responsible with money but I can tend to be a tad more impulsive, though not with anything major.

The first step is to see where your money is going. Maybe you can approach it with your fiance as something you can do at the same time (but not 'together'- I would suggest doing your own cash flows separately since you don't share income yet). Track all of your purchases for a few months. We use everydollar.com (which is free but offers a 'premium' version) and it's great. While you're just tracking, don't worry about setting the right budget limits. Just use it to check your flow against income that YOU make (not anything that you or he borrows from parents). At the end of each month, see if your spending is less than your income. Then use those few months and the budgets that Ramsey suggests to find a budget that works for your lifestyle.

Work through this together and compare your budgets and really talk about how you can meet in the middle. If you're looking toward marriage, he has to understand your needs and your financial 'baggage'. If he is not willing to meet your needs (and these are needs, not wants) then definitely hold back on marriage. But it's the same for you. This process should help identify your needs. Money is money but it's also an indication of where your priorities are. Understand his priorities to make sure you are up to meeting them. For life.

It sounds like the two of you need to have some really good conversations and maybe get a professional counselor involved (which, by the way, just because you see a relationship counselor does NOT mean that you are having problems or have a bad relationship. Just the opposite- it means you are both willing to take necessary steps to strengthen your relationship). I would suggest doing that before you think about moving in with each other or getting married.

Thanks!! I am definitely going to look into the every dollar site!

I respect your opinion about debt, but it's a very extreme one. Debt is only an emergency if there is no income source, or the potential for the income source to be lost. Some people have debt but VERY secure jobs, and the ability to EVENTUALLY pay it off. This is what drives mortgages and credit cards and loans.

We have debt, but we also have a guaranteed income source, so I feel no sense of urgency to pay it off. I am being aggressive with it now because we have other savings goals for the future.

But, an emergency? Not even close.

I agree with this. Debt is a tool in modern society. It actually benefits you to have it. It's really difficult to do things like rent an apartment without a credit rating. And that rating is based on history of debt- proportion to income, proportion of credit available, how long you've had the debt. Paying your credit cards off and then cancelling them actually makes your credit score worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter