TSA Combined Thread (braces, ports, guests with disabilities and airport screening)

We leave this Sunday and yes... I'm feeling somewhat concerned:rolleyes:
DS is 22 and can appear nervous + flustered when he is confused. My biggest concern is that his behaviour maybe misinterpreted. :scared1:
I have a doctors letter stating where we are going, for how long + autism/seizures etc. I also found this video to help him understand the new procedures. www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/ait/how_it_works.shtm
As long as we are not separated - I would turn into "mother bear" if that is suggested! If problems arise, I will be asking for a supervisor asp. Hopefully everything will go smoothly. I will post our experience when I get home.

UPDATE... well I'm happy to report the "old" walk through machines were used for us. :worship: I did not see anyone going through new X ray machines or pat downs.

Question I have, I have a total right knee replacement and I set the metal detectors off. Will I be able to go through the new scanners? I prefer not to have the new pat down because I was a victim of rape/molestion and it is very uncomfortable to have someone strange touch me that way, especially if it is the way people are reporting.

But from what I researched the airport we are flying out of, PHL, only has one new scanner and it is not out of the terminal we are flying out of so I will have no choice. I am hoping MCO will allow more options.

Question I have, I have a total right knee replacement and I set the metal detectors off. Will I be able to go through the new scanners? I prefer not to have the new pat down because I was a victim of rape/molestion and it is very uncomfortable to have someone strange touch me that way, especially if it is the way people are reporting.

But from what I researched the airport we are flying out of, PHL, only has one new scanner and it is not out of the terminal we are flying out of so I will have no choice. I am hoping MCO will allow more options.

yes as long as you can stand on your own i would just let them know so they know about it. If they know about it and see they might not make a big deal because if they think they see metal they might do the pat down but if they know if a knee replacement then they will know it not someting else metal. the scaner might just show metal not that it in your skin not metal around your knee.

mcissel said:

I agree with disneydavid.
The old scanners are metal detectors, so metal sets them off.
The new scanners are backscatter XRays, so they will show metal, but metal won't set them off. Since they can see the image, the person looking at the scan will be able to see that it is a total knee replacement.

You would fall under the same instructions that peemagg got when she emailed TSA and posted earlier
peemagg said:
I got a response from the TSA today about my inquiry as to what I have to do when I get to security with my scooter and the hardware in my foot. Here is the response I got:

When traveling through the security checkpoints, advise the officers that you have metal in your foot before going into the Walk Through Metal Detectors. You will then be directed to go through the scanner.
When going through the scanner you need to remove all items out of your pockets, including papers. When divesting, all items should be placed in your purse, carry-on bag or bin. If any anomalies are found while you go through the scanner, you may be subjected to a pat down search for that anomaly. If there are no anomalies, you can then proceed to gather your items.
For additional information for security, please visit our website at
www.tsa.gov
Since you have told the TSA agent beforehand that you have had a hip replacement, what they see on the scan should just confirm what you have told them ahead of time.
Also, be aware that if a patdown is required, it will be by someone of the same sex as you and you also will have the right to have a person of your choice observe the patdown (so if you are traveling with someone and want your traveling partner to watch, you have a right to have them present).

If you airport doesn't have the new scanners, I don't know if they are doing the regular patdown on some passengers and the 'enhanced patdown' on others or not. Our experience with DD is that they did a pretty thorough patdown of her in her wheelchair in past trips (our last one was in October). We have always explained a few things about her limitations to the TSA agent before they started the patdown and the agents have thanked us for giving that information. They are trying to do their job and really don't want to freak out the passengers. If you have a screener who you don't think is treating you with sensitivity and care, you do have the right to ask for the supervisor - just thinking that knowing these things might help to give you some power considering the history that you mentioned.

I agree with disneydavid.
The old scanners are metal detectors, so metal sets them off.
The new scanners are backscatter XRays, so they will show metal, but metal won't set them off. Since they can see the image, the person looking at the scan will be able to see that it is a total knee replacement.

You would fall under the same instructions that peemagg got when she emailed TSA and posted earlier

Since you have told the TSA agent beforehand that you have had a hip replacement, what they see on the scan should just confirm what you have told them ahead of time.
Also, be aware that if a patdown is required, it will be by someone of the same sex as you and you also will have the right to have a person of your choice observe the patdown (so if you are traveling with someone and want your traveling partner to watch, you have a right to have them present).

If you airport doesn't have the new scanners, I don't know if they are doing the regular patdown on some passengers and the 'enhanced patdown' on others or not. Our experience with DD is that they did a pretty thorough patdown of her in her wheelchair in past trips (our last one was in October). We have always explained a few things about her limitations to the TSA agent before they started the patdown and the agents have thanked us for giving that information. They are trying to do their job and really don't want to freak out the passengers. If you have a screener who you don't think is treating you with sensitivity and care, you do have the right to ask for the supervisor - just thinking that knowing these things might help to give you some power considering the history that you mentioned.

Sue - I read your comment as saying that the new scanner can penetrate skin and "see" the implant. Do you mean that? That isn't what TSA has been saying.

Sue - I read your comment as saying that the new scanner can penetrate skin and "see" the implant. Do you mean that? That isn't what TSA has been saying.
I didn't know how to state exactly and I didn't apparently do a good job. Sometimes when we write things we are tired or in a hurry and don't exactly write what we mean.

What I meant was that they would be able to see that there is nothing metal on the outside of the body, so what they see on the backscatter Xray would be consistent with what the person telling them.
TSA is not clear in what they have said about whether something a few millimeters under the skin will show up on the image at all. In the images they show of backscatter body scans, it appears to suggest that the very large and close to the surface bones (kneecap and the large lower leg bones, which are not only close to the surface, but also very dense) may show because they are very close under the skin. Here is a backscatter image from the TSA website.
backscatter_large.jpg

I do not know if certain types or parts of prosthetic hips/joints might show on the image in a similar way, but I do know that the agents would be able to see from the scan that there is nothing concealed on the outside of the body, which was what I intended to say.

Thanks Sue . . . it may have been my reading not so carefully too.

The meaning is definately clear to me now!

I'm back from my WDW trip. I had absolutly no problems with TSA. I flew from BWI to MCO round trip and both airports have the new scanners. I can't walk so I was directed to the pat down area just as I used to be before the new scanners. The pat down was no more intrusive then the old version of the pat down. A few swabs, a small amount of pat down and I was on my way. They didn't have any problems with my catheter/leg bag. And no one "touched my junk'. :rotfl2:

Wow, you can really see private details on those scanners, and even some skull sections and other bones - no scanners for me!

I'm back from my WDW trip. I had absolutly no problems with TSA. I flew from BWI to MCO round trip and both airports have the new scanners. I can't walk so I was directed to the pat down area just as I used to be before the new scanners. The pat down was no more intrusive then the old version of the pat down. A few swabs, a small amount of pat down and I was on my way. They didn't have any problems with my catheter/leg bag. And no one "touched my junk'. :rotfl2:

:thumbsup2

Glad to hear it!

I got a reply from Orlando MCO. I had emailed them explaining our circumstances and asking how we should prepare. This is what they said.

Dear Ms. , Thank you for taking the time to address your concerns to us. You asked a simple question. The answer can be a little complicated. This is because we use to types of scanning lanes. I'll start with oxygen. If she uses a tank then see the information below. You will need a doctor's letter for the airline and cannot take your own bottle through security. If you use an oxygen generator, let the airline know. They may have special conditions for you to travel with one. If your daughter can be removed from the oxygen for a very short period of time, TSA will X-ray the unit and return it once your daughter has cleared her screening. Please inform the Officers of your daughter's condition. They should be able to work with you and still insure everything is safe and secure. You will be looking for our Persons With Disabilities lane (wheelchair lane). There may be an Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) lane nearby. We have had disabled travelers use this lane, as it mostly does not involve touching, only a x-ray scan. If your daughter cannot stand by herself motionless for a few seconds, then I would not recommend this lane. I have placed a link to our web site about the scanners:http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/ait/index.shtm <http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/ait/index.shtm> You will probalby be going through our standard lane. Our Officers will greet you and insure that your carry on items are sent through the X-ray. If your daughter can walk a short distance, she can be helped through the metal detector. As long as she does not touch the sides, or have lots of metal on her (bangle bracelets, hair pins, MP3 players, phones or other metal) she will probably not alarm. We will inspect the wheelchair and return it to her. If she alarms or cannot leave her wheelchair. an officer of the same gender will perform a pat down inspection of her and the chair. You may ask to be with her once you are cleared yourself. The pat down will require the Officer's hands to be all over your daughter's body. In addition, we may perform an explosives detection test. This is normally done by wiping a small piece of cloth on the palms of the hands of a person. The cloth is placed in a tester to analyze. I have placed another link to our web site about travelers with disabilites and medical conditions. I hope this is helpful. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm <http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm> You have not indicated your past experience flying with your daughter. Hopefully I have answered your questions. Please remember that Communication is the key. Let the Officers know what limitations you or your daughter may have. They will try to treat you and your daughter with the respect that you deserve. If you are not satisified that the procedures are going well, or if you have concerns, do not hesitate to ask for a supervisor. They may be able to resolve a situation at that moment. Again, I hope this helps. Have a safe and uneventful trip. Sincerely,

William A. Kretchik Program Assistant TSA Orlando (MCO) Customer Support Phone: 407-563-4074 The following information came from a non-TSA website. Traveling with oxygen can be very intimidating but with proper planning it can be accomplished comfortably and safely. You don't have to give up the adventure of travel. You just have to make your arrangements in advance and be willing to take the extra time to confirm details prior to your trip. Air TravelMost U.S. air carriers and many overseas carriers can provide service for passengers requiring oxygen. The FAA requires a physician's statement of your oxygen needs in order to fly on a commercial airline. You cannot bring your own oxygen on board, you must use airline supplied oxygen. Requirements vary from carrier to carrier but, they all require arrangements be made in advance and they all charge for in-flight oxygen. Some airlines require only 48 hours advance notice while others require seven days. The best rule of thumb is make arrangements as far in advance as possible. All airlines charge for oxygen, but the charges vary. Some charge per canister, but most charge per for each leg of the flight. The charges generally range between $50.00 and $150.00 per leg. This means if you have to change planes on your trip you will be charged twice. Therefore, if possible it is better to take a direct flight or even one with an extra stop, but no plane change. Airlines don't provide oxygen for in terminal use even during layovers. You are responsible for making these arrangements separately. (Note: Some first aid stations in airports have oxygen available.) Some cylinders have a flow meter that adjusts from two liters to eight liters, while others offer either a low flow (2LM) or high flow (4LM). You cannot check oxygen containers with baggage, but most airlines will allow you to carry an empty portable tank either on board or checked with baggage. Tips for planning air travel * Start by checking with your physician to make sure it is safe for you to travel. * Contact the airline you want to use as far in advance as possible. * The arrangements are best made through their special services or medical department. Tell them you require in flight oxygen and ask their requirements. * Find out what flow they can deliver and if they provide a mask or nasal cannula. Some airlines only provide a mask but will allow you to provide your own cannula. * Confirm the arrangements 48 hours prior to your flight. * It is a good idea to arrive early at least an hour and a half on domestic flights. ________________________________ From: GotFeedbackSent: Mon 11/29/2010 19:54To: CSRMCOSubject: FW: Got Feedback : Orlando International (MCO)

It's pretty much what I expected, but it doesn't aleviate my worries. We'll have to see how it goes.

I have a broken foot and when I went through security on my way down to Orlando, they let me walk assisted through the metal detector and then swabbed my boot. On my way home, I was not allowed to do that but was told I had to be patted down. The pat down was in no way intrusive. One warning though is I was separated from my family and my stuff was left alone on the security belt. Thankfully everything was there when I was finished.

I have a broken foot and when I went through security on my way down to Orlando, they let me walk assisted through the metal detector and then swabbed my boot. On my way home, I was not allowed to do that but was told I had to be patted down. The pat down was in no way intrusive. One warning though is I was separated from my family and my stuff was left alone on the security belt. Thankfully everything was there when I was finished.

tsa broke two of their rues at mco 1 is they are not allowed to separate you and your bags they had to wait for the bags to be X-rayed and then brought you and them over to get screened. So their no unattended bags and your stuff dose not get stolen. The second is you have the right to have someone come with you to get screened they cant touch you but can help carry bags or help you after. those two things is enough to get the tsa agent in trouble if you complain to their supervisor. The other thing that i had a problem with on the tsa part you did nothing wrong is that they need to screen you the same way going and coming so if you was allowed to go through the X-ray going then coming home you should of been allowed to do the same tsa even said that in the letter posted above but since you didn't have a problem then just glad you got through okay. If you want and have the names of the agent in mco you could write tsa and dhs and let them know what happen even if no names just try to give them times and dates so they could try to help.

How do you keep your valuables safe while being scanned? Someone mentioned using plastic bags, but I'm not sure how it would help.

First off people the TSA agent at the Airport is the Ultimate authority, If you quote rules, regs, printouts all you are going to do is annoy the TSA agent and if you are really unlucky get yourself arrested and on the 'terrorist watch list'. Asking for a Supervisor is just likely to antagonize the TSA agent and once again if really unlucky the Supervisor will back up the TSA agent and you will be in a world of hurt.

I'm a frequent flyer whose motto is 'In a good month i get one frequent flyer ticket, in a bad month I get three... Very useful for Disney Visits :)

Ive seen TSO's force a wheelchair bound person to get up and attempt to walk - in that case crawl through the Magnetometer. Confiscate gel pads, you name it i've seen it. Why do you think photography is prohibited folks, it has nothing to do with OPSEC, it has everything to do with covering up abusive behavior by the TSA.

Whining about it on any Board is useless, Contact your Congressional representatives as if all the Disabled people got together and complained loudly and publicly there could be some real change where security based on passenger profiling could take hold rather than the current system where everyone especially the disabled are considered potential mass murderers. Especially since the statistics show the TSA misses 4 out of every 5 REAL weapons the FBI Auditors attempts to smuggle through the 'screening' process whilst confiscating toy guns and scissors. This makes me feel so safe when flying...

Full Disclosure

I am not disabled a disabled person but I was primary caretaker for a disabled relative for many years.

The ostomy story is disturbing and points to TSA people who are not well trained. From looking at the TSA website, they have included people with disabilities in their planning for various screening. I know that the TSA agents we have encountered in Minneapolis and Orlando when traveling with DD in her wheelchair have been generally very nice and very professional. But, with as many airports and as many TSA staff as there are, it's not a surprise that some are rude or ill trained.

Interestingly, on the question of braces, I found a TSA page I had not seen before. The first page talks about passengers with braces, artificial limbs, etc (and does include your rights - like they will not require you to remove the braces - so you probably want to print it out).
It also includes some information about ostomies that says passengers should advise TSA agents that they have an ostomy and that they will not be required to remove it. There is some information on that page about external devices (which would include ostomy appliances) which is contradictory:
"If you are wearing an exterior medical device and are uncomfortable with going through the metal detector or be handwanded, you may request a pat-down inspection and visual inspection of your device instead.....
# Security Officers should not be asking you to remove your orthopedic shoes, appliances, or medical device (insulin pump, feeding tube, ostomy or urine bag, or exterior component of cochlear implant) at any time during the screening process.
Advise the Security Officer if you have an ostomy or urine bag. You will not be required to expose these devices for inspection."

That page is not new, but there is a link on that page to a page about a new technology, introduced in 2008 called CastScope, which allows TSA to check casts, braces and similar devices without having them removed. From the description, it is the same general technology as the new AIT scanners, using back scatter technology to produce a clear image of casts, prosthesis, etc.
This is a page about AIT scanners from the TSA website that talks about how they work. From what I have read, some airports have had backscatter technology AIT scanners installed - which sound like they would be able to handle casts, braces and other devices. Some airports have had millimeter wave technology scanners installed, which I can't find out anything more about whether those will clear things like casts, braces, etc.

First off people the TSA agent at the Airport is the Ultimate authority, If you quote rules, regs, printouts all you are going to do is annoy the TSA agent and if you are really unlucky get yourself arrested and on the 'terrorist watch list'. Asking for a Supervisor is just likely to antagonize the TSA agent and once again if really unlucky the Supervisor will back up the TSA agent and you will be in a world of hurt.

I'm a frequent flyer whose motto is 'In a good month i get one frequent flyer ticket, in a bad month I get three... Very useful for Disney Visits :)

Ive seen TSO's force a wheelchair bound person to get up and attempt to walk - in that case crawl through the Magnetometer. Confiscate gel pads, you name it i've seen it. Why do you think photography is prohibited folks, it has nothing to do with OPSEC, it has everything to do with covering up abusive behavior by the TSA.

Whining about it on any Board is useless, Contact your Congressional representatives as if all the Disabled people got together and complained loudly and publicly there could be some real change where security based on passenger profiling could take hold rather than the current system where everyone especially the disabled are considered potential mass murderers. Especially since the statistics show the TSA misses 4 out of every 5 REAL weapons the FBI Auditors attempts to smuggle through the 'screening' process whilst confiscating toy guns and scissors. This makes me feel so safe when flying...

Full Disclosure

I am not disabled a disabled person but I was primary caretaker for a disabled relative for many years.

Actually, posting things online does help as it prepares others for what to expect when they get to the airport.

TSA may be the ultimate authority at the airport, but that does not mean that we are suddenly without rights when we are there. It almost seems like you are suggesting that we allow ourselves to be harassed or mistreated when we are at the airport to avoid "rocking the boat." I am sure that is not what you actually meant, but it is important that we stand up for the rights we are supposed to have. If they do not follow their own procedures, the onyl way to ensure that the situation is rectified is to tell supervisors and file complaints if necessary.

Actually, posting things online does help as it prepares others for what to expect when they get to the airport.

TSA may be the ultimate authority at the airport, but that does not mean that we are suddenly without rights when we are there. It almost seems like you are suggesting that we allow ourselves to be harassed or mistreated when we are at the airport to avoid "rocking the boat." I am sure that is not what you actually meant, but it is important that we stand up for the rights we are supposed to have. If they do not follow their own procedures, the onyl way to ensure that the situation is rectified is to tell supervisors and file complaints if necessary.

I like the way you think! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter