TSA Locks

When traveling, do you lock your suitcase w/ a TSA approved lock?

• Yes

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 27 58.7%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

Our luggage has built-in TSA locks that clearly say they are TSA locks. On one trip, one of our locks was forced open and the lock mechanism broken. There was a note inside that said the lock was broken by TSA and by locking it we took the risk so no reimbursement. Since then we have not used the built-in locks on the other pieces of luggage.

Got some as a gift several years ago. I know they are not foolproof, but if it makes my bag less of a target, that is a good thing.

Never have used them. A hard sided suitcase (no zippers to break) with a luggage strap on it keeps my suitcase from coming open and allows TSA to search. Nothing in that suitcase of any value anyway.

TSA locks are pointless because my experience they’ll cut them anyways. I had a new suitcase and they cut the part that goes in the lock so I can no longer click in the lock. I usually fly between Europe and the US where there is less theft done as other routes. For me I never put valuables in my suitcases that I check and I rarely lock them but instead use twisties to bind two zippers together so they don’t open on their own. My opinion suitcase locks are more there to keep your suitcase from opening on its own and stuff coming out then avoiding theft.

Security from zippers coming undone and crap falling out of your bag is still security, even if it's not security against theft.
That is a mechanical or material failure but not a security failure. Security is preventing an outside entity from accessing something they are not authorized.

A target from whom? Do you leave your bag unattended?

Once you have checked your bag, there are a number of people who have access to it. Although I am sure the vast majority people who work at airports are honest, there is enough theft that the airlines and TSA all have policies for people to report theft from luggage.

Once you have checked your bag, there are a number of people who have access to it. Although I am sure the vast majority people who work at airports are honest, there is enough theft that the airlines and TSA all have policies for people to report theft from luggage.
I have a friend that works on the ramp. He says bags pop open all the time and stuff falls out or people don't zip-up side pockets, or they get stuck on the belts. The people that work out on the ramp go through thorough background checks, are well paid, and have great benefits. Most of them are union and lifers with the airlines. The TSA on the other hand.... the opposite story, but they can go through your bag at will. I wouldn't trust them. It's better just to not pack anything of value in a checked bag.

I use them for all of our luggage. I'm not worried about TSA opening them, as much as ANYONE else, including other airport personnel, strangers, housekeeping at the hotel, etc.

The people that work out on the ramp go through thorough background checks, are well paid, and have great benefits. Most of them are union and lifers with the airlines.
It depends a ton of the individual airport and airline. At a lot of outstations (smaller airports) none of the airport employees are actually employees of the airline. Corrupt airline employees are surprisingly common, although the truth is that it happens in any sufficiently large population of people. Like this: https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/01...ing-ring-that-used-corrupt-airline-employees/

I use them for all of our luggage. I'm not worried about TSA opening them, as much as ANYONE else, including other airport personnel, strangers, housekeeping at the hotel, etc.
It'll help prevent crimes of opportunity but not a lot else. I personally have a full set of master keys for TSA locks. They're trivially easy to find and 3D print. I do tend to lock my luggage to help keep the zipper closed though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter