TSA Pre-check?

Aloha, We just signed up last month the longest wait was the TSA office there system went down and it backed things up, we were approved in less then 48 hours. We will using it for the first time tomorrow.
FYI check your credit cards if they pay for this my Chase United paid for it.
Last time we went through MCO last October the regular TSA line was about 1 and half hour wait.

You might also be interested in this program at MCO.

The Sunflower Lanyard Scheme® acts as discreet identification that the wearer, or their companion, has a hidden disability and might require additional assistance.

Hidden Disabilities Sunflower LanyardWearing a sunflower lanyard enables passengers to self-identify to staff that they have a hidden disability. It is a voluntary program in which passengers are not required to participate. Passengers may choose, but are not required, to disclose their disability on the card attached to the lanyard. They may also provide a contact name and phone number on the card, which is helpful if they become lost or separated from their party. Airport staff are trained to recognize the lanyards and to be understanding if additional help is needed. Lanyards are available at the Information Booths, located throughout the Terminals. A valid flight itinerary or boarding pass is required.

Wearing a lanyard DOES NOT guarantee fast tracking through security or any preferential treatment. Passengers may also arrange special assistance with their airline and TSA Cares.
Great information Mahalo for posting this.

Yeah, it's a huge pain with our son too and the shoes and electronics. Then getting everything back in/on while trying not to be in anyone's way. Very stressful!
And also light jackets as you don't need to remove those for pre-check. It's been nice not having to worry about unzipping my jacket, putting it in the tub, getting it back on, etc and I always have one because I freeze on airplanes. I went to just packing it in my bag until I got through security but then was usually cold in the airport before getting to security!

We opted for Global Entry because we do fly international. My husband's company paid for his and then our CC paid for mine but agree that unless you have international plans in the next year it's probably not worth the stress of the appointment. It took a lot for me to get mine and I almost had to drive 3 hours north of me to get it. But we've used it twice now coming back from Mexico and Europe.

Back to pre-check I still pack my liquids like I'm going to need to take them out and I still wear shoes that can easily be on and off and have my kindle within easy reach in my bag. This is just in case something occurs where I am unable to use the line. That's just what I personally do.

Once you have pre-check it's pretty nice to just breeze on through

The difference in time is the background check. You may think you have a clean history but a mis-placed digit, a wrong middle initial, an error in birthdate, etc. can confuse your record with someone else and run into the 60 days. A gentleman at the fingerprint office was asking the receptionist what to do because the next day was his 60 and he would have to apply (with another fee) all over again. He had paid a lawyer to handle an expungement and it was never filed so he was out of luck.

Apply soon and hope you don't discover a checkered past. /s

No international travel planned so don't need Global entry. And thank goodness. I was just on the site and it said the wait time for processing was -
  • Global Entry: 4-6 months

We originally had Pre-Check in 2014. We then opted for Global Entry in 2019 because we planned a couple of foreign trips. Then Covid happened, so no foreign travel. I believe wait times were 2-4 months for the interview at the time, but they opened up interview slots in a connecting city, so we got it done quicker. I believe we had our Global Entry number, the day after the interview, so the 4-6 months is likely an extreme case.

Aloha, We just signed up last month the longest wait was the TSA office there system went down and it backed things up, we were approved in less then 48 hours. We will using it for the first time tomorrow.
FYI check your credit cards if they pay for this my Chase United paid for it.
Last time we went through MCO last October the regular TSA line was about 1 and half hour wait.

We ditched our United Chase card last year since we never fly with them anymore. Now I just have the Disney Chase and I don't think it pays for it, unfortunately.

Apply now. The wait time can vary depending on your local airport.

Precheck is completely worth it if you're flying in and out of Orlando, and even if you have to use LAX one time for Disneyland. I've never waited more than 5 minutes at MCO.

You might also be interested in this program at MCO.

The Sunflower Lanyard Scheme® acts as discreet identification that the wearer, or their companion, has a hidden disability and might require additional assistance.

Hidden Disabilities Sunflower LanyardWearing a sunflower lanyard enables passengers to self-identify to staff that they have a hidden disability. It is a voluntary program in which passengers are not required to participate. Passengers may choose, but are not required, to disclose their disability on the card attached to the lanyard. They may also provide a contact name and phone number on the card, which is helpful if they become lost or separated from their party. Airport staff are trained to recognize the lanyards and to be understanding if additional help is needed. Lanyards are available at the Information Booths, located throughout the Terminals. A valid flight itinerary or boarding pass is required.

Wearing a lanyard DOES NOT guarantee fast tracking through security or any preferential treatment. Passengers may also arrange special assistance with their airline and TSA Cares.
This is such a great program and I had no idea they offered this service. I will be sure to pick up a lanyard for DS and myself when we go to depart. Do we keep them or turn them back in?

This is such a great program and I had no idea they offered this service. I will be sure to pick up a lanyard for DS and myself when we go to depart. Do we keep them or turn them back in?
Keep them, they are used at many more airports than just MCO. I believe it started at Heathrow in London. I've seen them at O'Hare in Chicago as well.

Keep them, they are used at many more airports than just MCO. I believe it started at Heathrow in London. I've seen them at O'Hare in Chicago as well.
Thank you, I didn't know if we turned them in before boarding or what. I wonder if your little airport will know what they mean or at SLC? Such a great idea.

We opted for Global Entry because we do fly international. My husband's company paid for his and then our CC paid for mine but agree that unless you have international plans in the next year it's probably not worth the stress of the appointment. It took a lot for me to get mine and I almost had to drive 3 hours north of me to get it. But we've used it twice now coming back from Mexico and Europe.

I just re-upped my Global Entry and they now do remote interviews, which made a huge difference.

We originally had Pre-Check in 2014. We then opted for Global Entry in 2019 because we planned a couple of foreign trips. Then Covid happened, so no foreign travel. I believe wait times were 2-4 months for the interview at the time, but they opened up interview slots in a connecting city, so we got it done quicker. I believe we had our Global Entry number, the day after the interview, so the 4-6 months is likely an extreme case.

A lot of people take the first interview time they see and then never check the site again. If you make it a daily habit to check, you can likely get an appointment within a few weeks. Edit: Depending on where you live. I lived in the Bay Area at the time and had the option of OAK, SFO and SJC.

Last edited:
I just re-upped my Global Entry and they now do remote interviews, which made a huge difference.
For renewals you are eligible for zoom style interviews but not for first time applicants. I hope they still do the remote interviews when it's time for me to renew, I agree it should make a big difference in the ease of the program.

A lot of people take the first interview time they see and then never check the site again. If you make it a daily habit to check, you can likely get an appointment within a few weeks.
Not really. Yes you should be checking back frequently but it's definitely not that you'd get one within a few weeks. My airport had none for months, not even the ability to make an appointment but a few weeks later they opened more slots..for several months later. I took that because the appointment I had been able to get, while a month sooner than my home airport, saved me a 3 hr drive.

They've been clear that staffing levels are slim. Some places have more appointments open than others but not always. I had checked Vegas to see if I could get one since I would be flying there and appointments were something like 6 months in the future (this was last summer and fall).

Not really. Yes you should be checking back frequently but it's definitely not that you'd get one within a few weeks. My airport had none for months, not even the ability to make an appointment but a few weeks later they opened more slots..for several months later. I took that because the appointment I had been able to get, while a month sooner than my home airport, saved me a 3 hr drive.
That's a good point. I'll clarify I lived in the Bay Area and had the option of several different airports.

I actually got lucky here. I got conditional approval for Global Entry within a day or two, presumably because I already had Pre-Check. Went to schedule my Global Entry interview and realized why everyone was so up in arms about it, lol. I stalked the website, and happened to see when O'Hare opened up a new batch of appointments for October. Grabbed one for early October. On a whim checked back a few hours later and a couple had opened up for late August (a week out from when I was looking). I'm guessing people had shifted their August appointments to October once those slots opened up, so I grabbed an August one instead.

Can't say that's the norm, but stalking the website did result in me being able to get an appointment within a few weeks. I was able to schedule an appointment a week out, and it was I think 2 weeks from when I applied and got conditional approval to when I had my appointment.

I actually got lucky here. I got conditional approval for Global Entry within a day or two, presumably because I already had Pre-Check.
Has absolutely nothing to do with it. There is no rhyme or reason as to when the conditional approval comes in. I've had Pre-Check for 4 years, gone through background checks for federal law enforcement jobs, have multiple background checks done annually due to my side jobs with the schools and youth sports. I've been waiting six months now for conditional approval.

Has absolutely nothing to do with it. There is no rhyme or reason as to when the conditional approval comes in. I've had Pre-Check for 4 years, gone through background checks for federal law enforcement jobs, have multiple background checks done annually due to my side jobs with the schools and youth sports. I've been waiting six months now for conditional approval.
Interesting. When I was researching Global Entry I thought I read in one of the articles that having Pre-Check would/could speed up conditional approval. Guess either the article was wrong or I'm misremembering.

I actually got lucky here. I got conditional approval for Global Entry within a day or two, presumably because I already had Pre-Check. Went to schedule my Global Entry interview and realized why everyone was so up in arms about it, lol. I stalked the website, and happened to see when O'Hare opened up a new batch of appointments for October. Grabbed one for early October. On a whim checked back a few hours later and a couple had opened up for late August (a week out from when I was looking). I'm guessing people had shifted their August appointments to October once those slots opened up, so I grabbed an August one instead.

Can't say that's the norm, but stalking the website did result in me being able to get an appointment within a few weeks. I was able to schedule an appointment a week out, and it was I think 2 weeks from when I applied and got conditional approval to when I had my appointment.
The hard time to get global entry appointments has been very well publicized. Stalking does nothing if the appointments aren't there. I responded because the poster said you can likely get an appointment within a few weeks. You should be checking as often as you can but that doesn't mean you're getting one and when you do it's lucky. You can see appointments available throughout the country too and that's what I did.. you know it's crazy when you're considering flying to another destination just to get your appointment lol. I was shocked that Vegas was sooooo much worse than my region.

Around me I had KC (where I live), Omaha and STL. Omaha was the first one I could get but for months in the future (appointment last September) but I booked it and kept looking on and off then KC opened more appointments later on but the appointment was for a month later than the Omaha one which I was fine with since it saved me a 3hr drive. There was no one manning the lobby for KCI and one worker only total.

So it's not that the advice to keep checking is wrong, that's really good advice, it's just manage your expectations especially if you're trying to fly in the next 12 months with Global Entry and you're a first time applicant

Interesting. When I was researching Global Entry I thought I read in one of the articles that having Pre-Check would/could speed up conditional approval. Guess either the article was wrong or I'm misremembering.
I was conditionally approved very very fast. I never had pre-check.

Here's a recent article regarding the struggles with appointments but there were a lot of them last year as well.

https://www.axios.com/2023/08/01/global-entry-appointment-interview-delays

For me last year it wasn't the end of the world to not have pre-check for our Labor Day trip even though I would have loved to have had it since my husband had his with his global entry but I'm glad I was able to get an appointment in time for the late January (of 2023) trip and definitely for the April (of 2023] Mexico trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter