TSM & Soarin closure timeframe?

ashleypmo

DIS Veteran
Any idea when TSM and Soarin' will close as part of the refurb/expansion? I know the current Soarin' theaters are getting new screens before the expansion is complete. And I'm assuming TSM will have to go offline at some point as well, but I haven't seen any announcements about when either will actually close, only that the expansion will be complete by late 2016. We're trying to decide whether to go in 2016 or wait until '17. We're really wanting to go in '16, but if there's a chance that either/both will be closed during our timeframe, we'd rather wait.

No one knows, and even the guesses would be poor at this point. You'll just have to stay tuned, sorry.

No one knows, and even the guesses would be poor at this point. You'll just have to stay tuned, sorry.
:yo-yo:I guess I'll just have to keep stalking. I like to plan at least a year out. We normally stay 11 days, so the 3-4 day quick closures don't really affect our plans. Oh, the waiting!!!:hourglass

I'm still not convinced it will be necessary to close all portions of these rides at the same time--depending on how and what they're doing they might be staggered. But like I said, all guesses will be poor at this point. ;)

Well I sure hope they don't close them during our week. fingers crossed.

We already lost Pirates.

I'm still not convinced it will be necessary to close all portions of these rides at the same time--depending on how and what they're doing they might be staggered. But like I said, all guesses will be poor at this point. ;)
It's not clear any closures will be necessary.

I'm expecting the two expansions to be FP+ Return Only queues.

Less need to build a fancy Stand-by line this way.

Each new FP+ spot (for Soarin' & TS) could be opened without any closure of existing queues.

Also, if construction is occurring without disrupting existing attractions, why assume closures are even necessary?

I doubt Soarin' goes down at all. First off. they aren't replacing the screens, their replacing the projectors. (The "screens" are perferated metal.) They could easily close one theater at a time for the switch.

TSMM I would suspect also won't go down at all, or only for a VERY short time. My suspicision here is that there will be a FP+ side and a standby side. The only affect might be in the queue, or they might simply make two independent queues.

here's hoping no closure during Nov '15; as this is Mom's favourite ride and the goal of the trip is to see how many times we can ride it

I suspect they will complete the new theater first. Once that's done and operational, they will close the existing theaters down one at a time to install any enhancements. This would allow them to continue to have two operational theaters until all of the work is complete.

I suspect they will complete the new theater first. Once that's done and operational, they will close the existing theaters down one at a time to install any enhancements. This would allow them to continue to have two operational theaters until all of the work is complete.

Agreed. Again, depending on exactly what they're doing and how they're doing it (which none of us know), I would think it possible to not close either Soarin' or TSM entirely during this effort. If done smartly, the worst that might happen is that they operate at 50% current capacity (one theater or ride track) for a time.

From Disney "..expanding both attractions by adding another theater at Soarin’ ...! We’ll also be updating the screens and projection system at Soarin,’ bringing a visually enhanced experience."

I agree that the impact will be minimal. Once theater 3 is complete they can close the other theaters one at a time. The screen work will probably be what will take the longest in the old theaters. The interior changes to queue could be minimal based on current layout.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter