• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Turkey: Spatchcock method questions

Have a stepstool handy unless you are quite tall. The force needed to break the bones requires being able to put your weight into it, so you need to work on a low surface, or make yourself temporarily very tall.

As for the veggies, sure, you can put hardy root veggies &/or fresh herbs in with it; put them under the bird so the steam will flavor it and keep the veggies from burning. I don't know about apples; I don't mix fruit & turkey.

I actually spatchcock several turkeys this time of year while they are cheap; makes it a lot less trouble to roast. 450F, for about 12 minutes/lb.

Have a stepstool handy unless you are quite tall. The force needed to break the bones requires being able to put your weight into it, so you need to work on a low surface, or make yourself temporarily very tall.

As for the veggies, sure, you can put hardy root veggies &/or fresh herbs in with it; put them under the bird so the steam will flavor it and keep the veggies from burning. I don't know about apples; I don't mix fruit & turkey.

I actually spatchcock several turkeys this time of year while they are cheap; makes it a lot less trouble to roast. 450F, for about 12 minutes/lb.

Thanks so much! We are actually having our butcher spatchcock it before we pick it up to prepare. For only $5 extra, I couldn't justify the trouble on my end for our first time with this method ;)

Making this recipe for a 22 lb bird for Thanksgiving and we are trying the spatchcock method for our first time:
https://www.sweetandsavorybyshinee....2RlR8EQMhtShdyXuvKUs4EJK1vPb7iZ3dv54#comments
-How long should we cook for and what temp?
-Can we still stuff it with the apples and fresh herbs?
-Can we add some thickly chopped root veggies to the pan while roasting?
-Any other tips with roasting a spatchcock turkey?

Thanks!

My tip would probably be to go with 2 11 or 12 pound birds instead of a 22 lb bird. It's going to be tough to spread that guy out in a regular-size oven. And the advantage of spatchcocking is it cooks very quickly (about 90 minutes or so) so you can do 2 birds in about 3 hours.

My method is usually to lay the bird on some thickly sliced root veggies (carrots/celery/onions) while it cooks, to use it as kind of a rack. For fresh herbs I make a compound butter that includes thyme, rosemary, sage and pepper and then put some of the butter under the skin and the rest rubbed onto the skin.

Good luck!

I’ve only spatchcocked a chicken before. Good call on having your butcher do it for you especially with such a large bird. I would use a digital thermometer if you have one so you don’t overcook it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter