Turning 18 on cruise

mom4mad

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! Has anyone sailed recently with a 17 year old who turned 18 while onboard? Our 17 year old thinks there is some sort of “lock out” ceremony for the Vibe. Did anyone experience this? If not, we’re they allowed in Vibe for the whole cruise? Could they participate in adult activities once they turned 18?

I’ve read reports where kids were kicked out at midnight on their birthday (which seems extreme to me- at least give them till closing, but I dont make the rules, lol). A ceremonial kick out sounds… fun maybe? So yes I think it’s a hard rule but yes, he can also do the 18 and up things immediately on his birthday as well.

Definitely “out” of Vibe as of the birthday. Whether they do anything to celebrate or recognize that I haven’t heard. Maybe.

My daughter will be turning 18 the second day of our October 6 Dream cruise. I can share more about her experience once we return. The system wouldn't let me book Palo for her but I called and they were able to book it. She's really excited about being able to attend the adult-only activities!

Guests are not allowed in Vibe as soon as they turn 18, except for Open House.
Guests are allowed in adult areas as soon as they turn 18.
So, if someone turns 18 midway through a cruise, on every given day they will either be allowed in Vibe and not adult areas or allowed in adult areas but not Vibe.

Two other things to note.

1. You'll want to go to Guest Services to get your kid a new Key to the World card makes with "A" for adult, just in case anyone checks in the adults-only areas.
2. They'll probably let a 17 year old attend the first 1820 society meetings. It's best not to miss the first one.

Two other things to note.

1. You'll want to go to Guest Services to get your kid a new Key to the World card makes with "A" for adult, just in case anyone checks in the adults-only areas.
2. They'll probably let a 17 year old attend the first 1820 society meetings. It's best not to miss the first one.
"B" for 18-21, if I remember correctly. "A" is 21 and up.

They definitely do not let them back in once they are 18. There was a teen on the cruise with my kids that had this happen. There was no ceremony, but I agree that would be cool. We have this problem on our cruise in January where by son is 17 and won’t turn 18 until 4 days after sailing but his girlfriend who is coming with us is already 18.

We just got off the Dream where my daughter turned 18 the second day of the cruise. There was no lock out ceremony in Vibe. The counselors were really sweet to my daughter and told her that she should come back during the open house times. They even sent a card to our room inviting her to the open houses and included all of the dates and times for them. Based on information on this board we went to guest services the next morning to get her a new card but they said that she already had the appropriate card for an 18 yr old because it had a B on it, so no changes were necessary there. They did give her a happy birthday button but she doesn't like attention so she didn't wear it.

She did go to the adult bars at night after turning 18 and on the last night they literally made her go to her room to get a photo ID to prove her age because they didn't believe what was on her card. Other than that she enjoyed the adult areas of the ship!

Our daughter turned 18 between cruises, so no ceremony for her. But being able to join us for a Remy brunch was the highlight of her cruise. She loved the mocktail they presented to her.

I think it depends on the counselors and the group dynamic (and size). I've also heard about the "Happy Birthday! There's the door!" ceremonies and how fun they make them. None of my kids have had their 18th on board, but we've heard of this many times, so I'm thinking there's some truth to it. When my sons were 19, they went back during open house to play some the Guitar Hero machine, but that was about it.

At the end of the day, it's about their liability and child protection policies, so that's solid and I appreciate them consistently enforcing it, even if it is a little lame for the birthday kid!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter