• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Turning down sofa into bed

Alice777

DIS Veteran
Hello,

I'll be traveling with my adult son and he'll be sleeping on sofa/bed. Last year (our first cruise), we met stateroom host on our way out to go to dinner and she asked us if we need to have our sofa turned downed for bed. We told her we did and every night she did that.

After that we never ran into her again.

We'll be going on our 2nd cruise in 7 days and I was wondering what is I don't run into stateroom host to request sofa to bed?

Do we write a note? Call room service?

Thank you.

P.S. Different question. Are all beds for Disney Cruise queen beds? I've read other non-Disney cruises has 2 twin size beds which are set together but can request to have it separated?

If for some reason you do not see the room attendant (highly unlikely), they are aware of the number of guests in the room, so they will turn down the sofa when you are out for dinner.

We requested no evening turn down service and just opened the couch bed on our own. It's really REALLY easy. Just so you know, you don't have to wait . . . . it just flips.

Its too bad they don't have twin beds that can be separated. It's fine if you are traveling with spouse or small kids but when traveling with adult son (with mother), it'll be nice to separate beds.

Thank you everyone for replies. I will keep an eye out for stateroom host on our first day.

No sure why they made the change. It didn't used to be that way on the Magic.
The given reason at the time was that guests complained about the dip in between the joined beds and that a single mattress would be more comfortable. I do not know if there were more complaints about the split bed than there are now about the inability to split the bed. Maybe DCL was trying to increase the number of guests who booked 2 rooms to get two full-sized beds.

I agree that our room steward has always stopped by the afternoon of embarkation day, and that it should be easy to locate the steward in the unlikely event you are not visited to describe how you want the beds arranged.

The given reason at the time was that guests complained about the dip in between the joined beds and that a single mattress would be more comfortable. I do not know if there were more complaints about the split bed than there are now about the inability to split the bed. Maybe DCL was trying to increase the number of guests who booked 2 rooms to get two full-sized beds.

I agree that our room steward has always stopped by the afternoon of embarkation day, and that it should be easy to locate the steward in the unlikely event you are not visited to describe how you want the beds arranged.
Never bothered me. I do find it interesting that it doesn't appear that other cruise lines have followed suit. Our last cruise was in October 2019 on Celebrity and the queen bed could be split.

For anything relating to your room, you need to call Housekeeping - there is a dedicated button on the phone - and they‘ll pass along the message to your stateroom host. That is, of course, if you don’t see him/her before you need something. In our experience, they hang out in the hallway and go meet the guests rapidly after they first go into their stateroom on embarkation day.

Never bothered me. I do find it interesting that it doesn't appear that other cruise lines have followed suit. Our last cruise was in October 2019 on Celebrity and the queen bed could be split.
Emma from Emma Cruises went on her first Disney cruise last year, and she was absolutely baffled by it and mentioned it in her review video. It definitely is not a standard in the industry.

I ran into my stateroom host constantly on my transatlantic cruise. If you would not see him/her, go back to your room during the day. You will find them cleaning.
Or else, I would leave a note. But as mentioned, it's very likely you will see him/her on your first day.

Can anyone rell me if the sofa bed is comfortable? I'm the adult child on my cruise.

Can anyone rell me if the sofa bed is comfortable? I'm the adult child on my cruise.
My 22yr old has never complained. It's not a normal pull out sofa bed, it just flips down and there is a twin mattress there. (Stateroom host does this while you're at dinner.

My friend has never complained. As mentioned above, it’s a normal mattress. Unless you are tall, it should be comfy!

On our first cruise, one of the game show hosts asked the audience what their favorite part of the ship was. At least 4 kids responded the sofa bed. I don't know if it's cuz it's that comfy or what 😆

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter