Tusker House PPO ADR and Pandora when AK returns to 9 a.m. opening

Wojodis

Mouseketeer
With AK hours scheduled to change back to a 9 a.m. opening in the beginning of July--I was thinking about the possible benefit of a Tusker House PPO ADR in regards to Pandora. I believe (could be wrong) that currently RD is occurring much earlier than 8 a.m. and that access from Africa is blocked but was wondering if people thought things would change when normal hours resume?

I am also curious about this. I currently have a PPO ADR at Tusker for August 22. I was not able to get a FP for Flights of Passage that morning. If things remain as they are now, I'll probably cancel the breakfast in order to standby FoP. We are only planning to be in AK for the morning.

I think they will continue to open the park 15 minutes or so before official opening time for the foreseeable future. The crowds for Pandora will not die down for the summer and way beyond that. I think it is partially crowd management. There are not as many tapstiles at AK (or as much open space in front of them) as at the Magic Kingdom. Even prior to the opening of Pandora, AK would often open prior to the official posted time (as does Epcot and HS - however, at those 2 parks the crowds disperse to different areas as opposed to almost everyone going towards Pandora at AK).

I think that you would be at a decided disadvantage with a PPO Tusker House ADR if you want to do Pandora standby first thing in the morning. I think in order to be on the same playing field as those entering the front of the park (without the backway entrance being open) you would need to be out of Tusker House by 8:40 to allow for the walk back to the 'bridge'. That is a very quick breakfast.

That being said, it can't hurt to make the ADR and monitor the opening process in the coming months.

In my experience a couple of weeks ago, even during morning EMH 7:00 am opening, the tapstiles were opened at 6:40, rope dropped at 6:45.

I think that you would be at a decided disadvantage with a PPO Tusker House ADR if you want to do Pandora standby first thing in the morning. I think in order to be on the same playing field as those entering the front of the park (without the backway entrance being open) you would need to be out of Tusker House by 8:40 to allow for the walk back to the 'bridge'. That is a very quick breakfast.

That being said, it can't hurt to make the ADR and monitor the opening process in the coming months.

The 40 minute breakfast is doable - we've done it before with other PPO breakfasts. And as it's a buffet it's more within your control. But, I agree it wouldn't be ideal and we don't want to lose an advantage - especially as you are not getting a shorter walk. So, something to monitor.

It definitely will be interesting to see how Disney modifies its current practices as time passes. I believe the second set of extended p.m. hours are scheduled to end sometime mid-August and ROL showtimes are cut back from daily shortly thereafter. Of course this all could change, I guess it will all depend upon demand. It would be nice though to squeeze one of them in with a PPO ADR but I'm not too optimistic--and I'm not going there until the end of November. It's so difficult to take what used to be a half day park for us and plan 2 days there (or at least half days). We would probably keep the dining res anyway and just hit the safari.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter