• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tusker House Reopening and Cost

mickey0624

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!
Just saw the Tusker House is reopening, which was such exciting news. It is our favorite breakfast spot on property. Used to have a great buffet with all types of food. I get that even with things improving that buffets are essentially still non existent but when I saw the menu and price point, I was absolutely blown away. So $42 plus tax and gratuity for basically scrambled eggs, waffles, bacon and some pastries? Still no personal encounters with characters even though they're walking around. So for my family of 5 (kids are all over 12) it will cost us between $225 - $250 with tax and tip.....anyone else think this is just madness?

Before the characters returned, Chef Mickey's was only $25 for breakfast and it was huge. Could not eat it all.

It was at or close to that prior to shutdown. It should be all you can eat if it follows the other family platter format. We booked lunch and I don’t plan on eating much (if anything) prior. My DH and my 7 year old eat a lot. We are splurging on dining this trip, though as it is our 10 year anniversary and we missed out on our trip last summer. I am hoping that $42 charge for children is wrong, though. All other character lunch and dinners are $36 for kids.

Just saw the Tusker House is reopening, which was such exciting news. It is our favorite breakfast spot on property. Used to have a great buffet with all types of food. I get that even with things improving that buffets are essentially still non existent but when I saw the menu and price point, I was absolutely blown away. So $42 plus tax and gratuity for basically scrambled eggs, waffles, bacon and some pastries? Still no personal encounters with characters even though they're walking around. So for my family of 5 (kids are all over 12) it will cost us between $225 - $250 with tax and tip.....anyone else think this is just madness?
Were like you..We LOVE Tusker House breakfast! Such a great buffet, but yes, the menu and pricing and offering….madness. I get that people are not ready for a buffet, even though where I am from they are back to doing them at restaurants, Disney needs to do better than this.

It was at or close to that prior to shutdown. It should be all you can eat if it follows the other family platter format. We booked lunch and I don’t plan on eating much (if anything) prior. My DH and my 7 year old eat a lot. We are splurging on dining this trip, though as it is our 10 year anniversary and we missed out on our trip last summer. I am hoping that $42 charge for children is wrong, though. All other character lunch and dinners are $36 for kids.
Yes, the price is basically the same but it used to be a buffet with so much more...used to have essentially every breakfast food including omlettes.

Yes, the price is basically the same but it used to be a buffet with so much more...used to have essentially every breakfast food including omlettes.
The buffet was second to none. It had everything and more. Easily the best buffet for breakfast out there. Traditional breakfast fare is not an equal substitute. Honestly, they should just open it up as normal and have an attendant serve guests instead of giving us a watered down version

The new menu is pretty much Ohana breakfast before it closed. I really enjoyed the lunch buffet I had a few years ago, but it is not the right time to have a buffet at Disney. Don’t book it if it doesn’t appeal to you. It literally sold out in minutes so there is still demand. I am booked opening day for lunch and I will enjoy the meal (it is still all you can eat but less variety). Most restaurants still have limited menus right now to save on costs. It is just where we are right now. Family style works better for me with 2 small kids. It is a pain to keep getting up for a buffet to refill plates.

The new menu is pretty much Ohana breakfast before it closed. I really enjoyed the lunch buffet I had a few years ago, but it is not the right time to have a buffet at Disney. Don’t book it if it doesn’t appeal to you. It literally sold out in minutes so there is still demand. I am booked opening day for lunch and I will enjoy the meal (it is still all you can eat but less variety). Most restaurants still have limited menus right now to save on costs. It is just where we are right now. Family style works better for me with 2 small kids. It is a pain to keep getting up for a buffet to refill plates.
it's not the limited menu or not having buffets that I am complaining about....it's the price point for much less option and cheaper food.....and I have never eaten o'hana breakfast for just that reason. Didn't think it was worth it and don't think this is worth it. I just hope it returns at some point to the standard it once had..the charge more for same or less philosophy is a very sad road Disney seems to be going down.

it's not the limited menu or not having buffets that I am complaining about....it's the price point for much less option and cheaper food.....and I have never eaten o'hana breakfast for just that reason. Didn't think it was worth it and don't think this is worth it. I just hope it returns at some point to the standard it once had..the charge more for same or less philosophy is a very sad road Disney seems to be going down.
Oh I definitely agree about that Disney is charging too much. We’ve actually never done a character meal without Free Dining, so this is the first time paying out of pocket. We saved so much staying offsite, we are using the extra savings and just not worry about paying $200 for lunch. Reviews say that the quality of Chef Mickey’s food is way better with the change. Tusker House had good quality to begin with, so a hard bar to reach. We went with lunch as it seemed not as basic. …but the Ohana breakfast was always really good, and Tusker should be very similar.

Oh I definitely agree about that Disney is charging too much. We’ve actually never done a character meal without Free Dining, so this is the first time paying out of pocket. We saved so much staying offsite, we are using the extra savings and just not worry about paying $200 for lunch. Reviews say that the quality of Chef Mickey’s food is way better with the change. Tusker House had good quality to begin with, so a hard bar to reach. We went with lunch as it seemed not as basic. …but the Ohana breakfast was always really good, and Tusker should be very similar.
Sadly, right now it seems that staying off property is the better value. There used to be so many perks to staying on property, now it’s the same price for less

Sadly, right now it seems that staying off property is the better value. There used to be so many perks to staying on property, now it’s the same price for less

Absolutely. With virtually no benefits to a Disney resort right now, I canceled my Pop reservation months ago for a fantastic deal on an off property resort close to DS. $106/night for a full kitchen, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, nice pool with a pirate ship and a bar. Even with resort fees and having to pay for parking, it's less than half the cost of Pop, since we're splitting the cost with my parents. Plus we can save money on breakfast and some easy dinners in the room. My daughter is just going on 3 so there won't be any late nights for us.

When I'm saving money elsewhere it makes the out of pocket cost of food seem negligible.

Absolutely. With virtually no benefits to a Disney resort right now, I canceled my Pop reservation months ago for a fantastic deal on an off property resort close to DS. $106/night for a full kitchen, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, nice pool with a pirate ship and a bar. Even with resort fees and having to pay for parking, it's less than half the cost of Pop, since we're splitting the cost with my parents. Plus we can save money on breakfast and some easy dinners in the room. My daughter is just going on 3 so there won't be any late nights for us.

When I'm saving money elsewhere it makes the out of pocket cost of food seem negligible.
There’s lots of options like that out there. We used to stay in similar when we’d go to Disney a few days before a cruise. Might have to look into them more unless Disney gets their act together fast.

I wonder if it's still $42 for lunch. Or if not, what insane price they plan to charge.

Just for informational puposes:

Breakfast $42 per adult, $27 per child
Lunch and Dinner $55 per adult, $42 per child

Also remember in Disney Restaurant Language, an adult is anyone 10 and older and a child is anyone 9 and younger.

Just for informational puposes:

Breakfast $42 per adult, $27 per child
Lunch and Dinner $55 per adult, $42 per child

Also remember in Disney Restaurant Language, an adult is anyone 10 and older and a child is anyone 9 and younger.
That pricing is fine FOR WHAT THEY USED TO OFFER, the new offering is $25 at best. That’s just madness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter