TV Myths

People on TV have living rooms with fully stocked bars and booze in decanters.
My neighbors across the street when I was growing up had a full stocked bar complete with a beer tap as did my MIL and her husband. But her husband was a bar bartender.....who's 5 day a week customers would come to his house on his days off to drink for free!

High schoolers out at nightclubs every night of the week. Yeah, there are no under-21 clubs anywhere near here, nor any under-18 clubs in this state or any that surround it.

LOL, this one bugs me from watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Netflix. Maybe I'm clueless and lived a sheltered life, but I have never heard of teen nightclubs like "The Bronze" that are just like regular nightclubs but without alcohol. Maybe they really do exist, I don't know. But it's a new one on me. And I was even the same age as Buffy in that same era (mid-late 90s). Never mind the fact that they seem to be allowed to hang out there every night.

Annnnnnywho. We always thought that christmas carollers were TV myths. Never seen one in my life! They seem really fun, though.
Just because you've never experienced something doesn't make it a myth. It makes it something you've never experienced.

Speaking of police dramas (as well as movies), when there's an officer involved shooting and the cop is right back on the street the next day. In real life firing a weapon on duty means at the least desk duty if not paid administrative leave during the investigation.

High schoolers out at nightclubs every night of the week. Yeah, there are no under-21 clubs anywhere near here, nor any under-18 clubs in this state or any that surround it.

Juice bars were huge 6 or 7 years ago here. A big chunk of them were run by churches as part of their youth outreach programs. My daughter went to see a lot of her favorite regional bands at those church run nightclubs.

We always laugh at fully and perfectly coiffed families who come downstairs dressed and eat a complete, cooked breakfast together at the table. In whose home does this actually happen? Like, the children have their shoes and socks on already. Kids eat some breakfast then calmly pick up their backpacks and leave for school. On what planet people? On what planet?

Mentioning the locker thing is funny, because being from the east coast we were always amazed by TV shows or movies that took place in California where they had their lockers on an outside corridor. We just thought that was so cool and that everyone headed to the beach to surf after school every single day!

We also chuckle about people being questioned by the cops on Law & Order. Have you noticed that they hardly ever stop what they are doing? As if being questioned by cops about a homicide or some major crime is just the most normal, routine part of their day. I’m busy stacking these crates for my job, the cops want to ask me what I know about a murder suspect, but dang it, I’ve got to continue stacking these crates! Now, I used to work in NYC and I know people are always busy and moving, but it still just cracks me up! I think I would at least stop what I was doing to talk to them. (Especially Stabler!) (Oooooh, Stabler…….grief ***!)

My high school a hallway with lockers but once you went into the classroom area there were no walls or even windows. Classrooms were separated by things like bookcases and the big whiteboards etc. Sometimes other classes were much more interesting to listen to then my own. By the time I took sociology I had already heard the same teacher teach it 4 times and he never ever changed even a word to his jokes. We always had neighborhood kids that went out Christmas Caroling but we could pick the night we felt like going since it wasn't part of an organization.

What I know is true but I've never personally witnessed is car pick up lines at school. When I went to school everyone lived in walking distance and walked home even kindergarteners or in higher grades there was some busses. Times have changed and at my kids k-8 school most kids still live in walking distance. However in younger grades parents need to find a place to park and walk to the door to get kids dismissed in grades k-2 no matter how close the child lives (teacher needs to see adult before child goes out the door) and parents of kids in older grades still meet them at the door or the kid goes looking for them if they don't go home by themselves.

Spit takes. Amnesia. Identical strangers. Doctors who spend more than 10 minutes with a patient.

sorry for the duplicate....website was messing up....

Last edited:
In the mid 70's, my younger brother wanted to see if he could drive our mom's car around the block while the rest of the family was gone. He was successful until he tried to get it back into the garage. He hit the dividing section between the two garage doors...totally took it out; and was finally able to park the car. As a 12 year old, he thought he could 'cover up' by cleaning up the bricks and lumber that was left on the ground.

In elementary school, we didn't have lockers; but couldn't wait to get to middle and high school for this experience. It was the only location to keep all books, coats (book bags didn't exist then), etc and we had to go to locker to change out supplies after each class. Now, there are also lockers in the elementary classrooms.

I have gone or had the opportunity to go caroling every year for past 30+ years. We usually go to our church shut ins and the nursing homes.

Soap Opera rooms and exteriors of buildings are some of the worst mismatches that I've seen on TV. In one show, the woman goes to her kitchen from the living room and the door she goes through is right between her front door and front picture window looking outside....there is NO room there at all...but it's always into her kitchen!!

I have seen TV characters kept captive (handcuffed or tied up) for several days and it is clear that they have never been allowed to go to the bathroom, yet, other than being a little mussed up (hair and clothes), they look pretty decent.

In the mid 70's, we had a High School 'night club' where we could go on Friday or Saturday nights ONLY. It was a very popular place where local bands would play and the hours were strictly 7pm-midnight. It was a great place to go for socializing and hearing really good local talent. Our town was very small (fewer than 10,000) so there really wasn't anything else to do other than cruise the streets - which not many parents saw that as 'safe' because it usually led to some street racing, as well.

HA, I was just thinking about this last night. It came about while I was randomly thinking about how kitchens in sitcoms tend to be incredibly large, most notably the Full House kitchen. Then it got me to thinking how that whole house seemed pretty huge, plus a garage and attic that were able to be converted into respectable "apartment" sized spaces. And don't get me started on DJ and Stephanie's big bedroom. Then looking at the 'exterior shot' of the house on a compact San Francisco street, there's no way it was the same house!

Full House had one of the most blatantly obvious mismatches between interior/exterior. Then there's King of Queens, The Brady Bunch, Everybody Loves Raymond, Married With Children, etc. etc. etc. Even Jerry Seinfeld's apartment layout (window placement, etc.) doesn't match the exterior shot of the building.

To get really broad, it always seems like most sitcoms end perfectly and have happy outcomes to most every situation. I think that's why I like Roseann so much, cause almost nothing worked out for them on that show lol.

Just because you've never experienced something doesn't make it a myth. It makes it something you've never experienced.
I'm so sorry. I didn't realize that a figure of speech would get lost on you. I don't mean "myth" as in Zeus, Hades, etc. We use "myth" as a figure of speech to express something that does not happen very often or that we do not see, personally.

Glad to clear it up for you :)

EDIT: I also said "we always thought". I thought that made it once again clear that I was not denying their existence. Lol. It's alright, no harm no foul ;)

How about female detectives that wear super high heal and are able to chase down a perp and catch them? It always bugged me that they family would eat breakfast and never brush their teeth before leaving. And it is always bright and sunny while they are eating breakfast. And you can always tell there isn't anything in their suitcases/bags/purses.

I'm so sorry. I didn't realize that a figure of speech would get lost on you. I don't mean "myth" as in Zeus, Hades, etc. We use "myth" as a figure of speech to express something that does not happen very often or that we do not see, personally.

Glad to clear it up for you :)

EDIT: I also said "we always thought". I thought that made it once again clear that I was not denying their existence. Lol. It's alright, no harm no foul ;)
I was correcting your misuse of the word. Glad I could clear it up for you.

General TV adoption process: Random kid shows up and stays forever with the family.
Sitcom adoption process: Kid shows up and wants to stay forever with the family. Case worker shows up one time and through a series of mishaps, the parent(s) end up looking like terrible parent. Someone makes an impassioned speech. Kid stays forever with the family

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter