TV Production at Aulani

Skywatcher1206

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

We are going to Aulani for the 1st time in August. We got the following email today. First off, I wonder what television show will be filming. Second, I hope that not so much is restricted to reduce our enjoyment of our first trip to Aulani as the trip isn’t cheap. 😕

Aloha Guest,​
Welcome home!​
We are delighted you have chosen Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Olina, Hawaii as your vacation destination. We are looking forward to welcoming you soon.

We wanted to make you aware that during your stay at Aulani Resort, we will also be hosting a television production, which will utilize various areas of Aulani Resort from August 14 –20, 2022 for filming. Areas may include but are not limited to:
Maka‘ala Lobby
Wailana Pool
‘Alohi Point whirlpool spa
Waikolohe Stream (lazy river)
Menehune Bridge
Hālāwai Lawn
Aulani Beach

During the dates listed above, you may see or hear production taking place, some access may be restricted, and hours of operation may be adjusted. Please know that your comfort and enjoyment are our top priorities. We appreciate your patience and understanding, and hope you will enjoy being at Aulani Resort during this exciting time.

In addition, some areas of Aulani Resort including rooms, experiences, restaurants, amenities and other offerings may be modified or unavailable, limited in capacity and subject to limited availability or closure. Health and safety measures and operational guidelines are subject to change without notice. Please stay up to date on any changes to our offerings on the Know Before You Go page at DisneyAulani.com.

If you need assistance with your reservation, please contact your original booking agent.​

American Idol? It was taping in early July (late June?) last year. [edit Feb - I’m an idiot] People have different points of view on it - some enjoy it — some less so.

That said, advising you only 2 months in advance for such a disruption is not great. They certainly have been aware of the dates of taping for some time.

Last edited:
American Idol was my thought but I don’t think so. It filmed in February 2022 and I don’t think it is airing for the Fall.

Oh you are right! We were in Hawaii in July and February last year (making up for lost travel lol) and I’m conflating.

Someone else will know what it is!

Oh you are right! We were in Hawaii in July and February last year (making up for lost travel lol) and I’m conflating.

Someone else will know what it is!
Were you there when American Idol was filming? Was it disruptive to your visit? I’m sure I’m overreacting, but I’m imagining everything being closed while we are there for the entire time, while in reality, it would probably be an hour or 2 tops (I hope).

Could be anything from shooting for new Aulani TV commercials, to some kind of Disney Channel / Disney+ show... hopefully they will be respectful of guests and keep disruption to a minimum.

The email sounds fairly routine. I am sure they do this anytime there is some sort of production taking place. Clearly Disney wants to do things that minimize guest disruption. Letting you know ahead of time that some things MAY be unavailable at certain times avoids surprises once you arrive. Disney makes money by letting the production company use their facilities so they likely want it to be a positive experience for guests as well as the production company.

Were you there when American Idol was filming? Was it disruptive to your visit? I’m sure I’m overreacting, but I’m imagining everything being closed while we are there for the entire time, while in reality, it would probably be an hour or 2 tops (I hope).
This isn't American Idol, but I was there when they WERE doing American Idol and I thought it was awesome. I'm not an Idol fan in the slightest bit it was cool to stay at the same resort as some bona fide celebrities and then watch the production crews working throughout the few days.

Last edited:
We’re arriving on the 21st, so looks like we -dodged the bullet / missed a chance - to be there for the filming.

Hope it’s not too disruptive!

Doogie Kamealoha would be the safest guess as they film through almost the end of August for Season 2.

We'll be there for a few of those dates. I didn't get this email and I've already got resort only plans for some of these dates. o_O

The new Disney way ... Dear Guest, During your stay we will be hosting a TV production that is either paying us tens of thousands of dollars or giving us the equivalent in free publicity. While they are here, they will utilize significant portions of the resort and its amenities that won't be available to you... We appreciate that you won't receive the vacation that you've paid us a significant amount for but we will do nothing in regard to this ... Thank you for allowing us to only deliver half the vacation you've paid for so we can make even more money!

Have a Disney Day!

The new Disney way ... Dear Guest, During your stay we will be hosting a TV production that is either paying us tens of thousands of dollars or giving us the equivalent in free publicity. While they are here, they will utilize significant portions of the resort and its amenities that won't be available to you... We appreciate that you won't receive the vacation that you've paid us a significant amount for but we will do nothing in regard to this ... Thank you for allowing us to only deliver half the vacation you've paid for so we can make even more money!

Have a Disney Day!
It goes without saving any revenue will, almost all, be allocated to the hotel and not DVC

Have a Disney Day!
I wouldn't call it the new Disney way, WDW has been filming at resorts since the 70s.

Have a Disney Day!
Dear guest we will also only give you two months notice so it would be too costly or inconvenient for you to cancel your vacation. We know you planned this trip almost a year prior, but we don’t really care.

Dear guest we will also only give you two months notice so it would be too costly or inconvenient for you to cancel your vacation. We know you planned this trip almost a year prior, but we don’t really care.
But haven’t we all known that occasionally Aulani is used as a location for filming? It‘s not often, but it does happen, and filming dates are rarely locked in more than two months in advance.

But haven’t we all known that occasionally Aulani is used as a location for filming? It‘s not often, but it does happen, and filming dates are rarely locked in more than two months in advance.
I agree with you! Any resort/hotel anywhere in the world can have amenities closed at any time, for any amount of time, for any reason and guests may or may not get advance notice or in their own personal required timeframe regardless of how much they spend. Our family is adaptable to any situation and can still make happy memories because we are spending time as a family.

I know I would be disappointed to learn this was happening on my trip. Regardless of the - “we should know it can happen to any of us logic.” mentioned above. I mean honestly how many of us expect that to happen?

And while most functional adults can and will make the best of it, the boards are a place to come and express that disappointment and worry. And also learn if others had experienced something similar in the past to see what it might be like for them. Coping skills. How intrusive it was or wasn’t, etc… Like some of the positive comments about AI taping for instance.

I hope for those vacationing that week that there are very minimal barely noticeable things happening and you get a little pixie dust for the trouble - like an Olivia Rodrigo sighting for your teenager or Pat Sajak for Grandma or John Stamos for Mom or something! LOL! But it will probably just be a commercial with no recognizable folks in it… which would probably be less hassle!

I know I would be disappointed to learn this was happening on my trip. Regardless of the - “we should know it can happen to any of us logic.” mentioned above. I mean honestly how many of us expect that to happen?

And while most functional adults can and will make the best of it, the boards are a place to come and express that disappointment and worry. And also learn if others had experienced something similar in the past to see what it might be like for them. Coping skills. How intrusive it was or wasn’t, etc… Like some of the positive comments about AI taping for instance.

I hope for those vacationing that week that there are very minimal barely noticeable things happening and you get a little pixie dust for the trouble - like an Olivia Rodrigo sighting for your teenager or Pat Sajak for Grandma or John Stamos for Mom or something! LOL! But it will probably just be a commercial with no recognizable folks in it… which would probably be less hassle!
Of course! But as functional adults, not sure a day or two of filming justifies going to the place that Aulani’s management are money grubbing monsters that care not an iota about the guest experience, which is kind of the opposite mindset that you’re talking about. How is that helpful?

My wife and I have had a multitude of great experiences at Aulani, and I’ve never had a negative interaction with a cast member. I truly doubt such news means the sky is falling down. For what it’s worth, operating resorts are very pricey and logistically difficult filming locations, so unless it were a commercial for Aulani, I would bet the filming would be for a higher quality ABC or Disney production. Not impossible guests will wind up with some of that pixie dust!

Maybe a Disney wedding? In previous episodes, they've shown them doing activities before the wedding all around the resort...for advertising, I'm sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter