Two Bed Room or Two Studios?

One other thing to consider is that sometimes vacationing with another family at Disney can be stressful -- and having two separate studio rooms can allow everyone to have their own space. Just something else to think about.

Another thought -- I would suggest having one room get the deluxe dining plan and the other room not get a dining plan. It's around $105 per adult per day and gives you 3 TS meals per day -- and those include apps and desserts. You can easily split those among your group during meals, since all of the credits get pooled into one big account. If you have any kids 3-9 years, then it is a steal of deal, since they can order from the adult menu (order adult menu item for guest and pay for kid's meal out of pocket).
  • Deluxe dining plan meal credits are not differentiated in Disney’s system between children and adults (as of mid-2017). Technically, you are supposed to order from the children’s menu, even on the Deluxe plan, but in practice many restaurants will let a child order an adult meal with a Deluxe credit. It certainly doesn’t hurt to ask. Note that this will not work with the regular Dining Plan – their table-service credits for children and adults are tracked separately, and children have to use a child credit and order from the children’s menu (or see below; some restaurants will make child portions of other food).
  • With the Deluxe plan, one strategy that can work reasonably well is to pay out of pocket for children’s meals (or share food from an adult meal), conserving your credits to use for adults. For example, say you have a party of 4, 3 adults and 1 child, which gives you 12 Deluxe credits per day to use for any kind of meals you want. If you only use your credits for adult meals, you could use 3 credits for breakfast and 3 credits for lunch, leaving you with 6 credits to buy three adult Signature meals. You would either pay out of pocket for the children’s meals or share food from the adult meals.
Ok I am intrigued by your suggestions, but can you really share credits with folks on another reservation? Of course they would be using my DVC points, but it would be a separate reservation for the second studio. I assumed their magic bands would not have the meal plan loaded either. While we are traveling together we may not be together 100% of the time.

Ok I am intrigued by your suggestions, but can you really share credits with folks on another reservation? Of course they would be using my DVC points, but it would be a separate reservation for the second studio. I assumed their magic bands would not have the meal plan loaded either. While we are traveling together we may not be together 100% of the time.

All the credits for the room can be accessed only by magic bands associated with that room. So in your case, if your family got the meal plan, then your friends would only be able to eat if you scanned for them.

We have traveled with friends that have had the deluxe dining plan and extra meal credits (not all of their family was there the entire time). We ate once a day together and they used their credits and then we paid them based on what we used - so for every 3 meals we ate with them we paid them the $105 cost per person per day. Worked out for us and for them.

Yes if we did the two bed room, out family wild take the lock out. I think the issue is if our friends are interested in the dinning plan. We are 100% going to purchase the dinning plan, so if they do not want it we will have to do separate rooms.
That really shouldn't be a problem...just say...here's the deal, "We're booking a two bedroom, and everyone has to get the dining plan." Problem solved. I love taking people with me, but they are, in the end my points, and my reservations. They are joining me on my vacation, so it is basically my rules. And I don't get the dining plan. Or you could even look at it like "majority rules" and you are the majority with the larger family.

That really shouldn't be a problem...just say...here's the deal, "We're booking a two bedroom, and everyone has to get the dining plan." Problem solved. I love taking people with me, but they are, in the end my points, and my reservations. They are joining me on my vacation, so it is basically my rules. And I don't get the dining plan. Or you could even look at it like "majority rules" and you are the majority with the larger family.

I get it and normally would not be a push over about this. But this trip is a "thank you" trip for helping my family while I had surgery and am off my feet. So I feel like I can't play that card!! But normally I SO would!

But I do feel they would enjoy the dinning plan and we would all have a better time if we were all doing something similar. Otherwise they might be cost sensitive about meals while we are not.

I guess I'll just wait till the 7 month mark and see what is available for them and see if that skews my decision. We own at Poly so two studios is all we can book for now!

Thanks all!

We pick a lot of 2 studio option when shooting over to DL. It's 3 more points per night, but we usually stay a max of 4 nights. It does add up a little, but it's worth the space to us. But in DW, it's got to be a 2-Bed. DL has all kinds of dinning right there, downtown Disney out the side door and all the fast food just a short walk, so you can get away with just bringing your own continental breakfast. But I've found in DW, we really use the kitchen for a lot of meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter