Two bedroom villa or multiple rooms for large family?

If I am understanding correctly OKW could work for you if the grandmothers are ok sharing a room with two queen beds and a bathroom? Then you and dw could take the master with a king and put the kids in the living room if they can make due with a pull out sofa and sleeper chair?

We did this with my 2 kids, my mil and my sil and my niece & nephew and it worked fine. MIL got the king, sil and I shared the room with the 2 queens and the kids used the sofa bed, chair bed and an airbed as they stayed up latest. In the morning if any of the kids wanted to sleep in they just moved to a parents bed to get out of the way in the morning.

I had previously been reluctant to try OKW - my bad - we Loved it. Bus service was great, staff was great and we loved the pool area.

We have stayed at AOA in the family suite (just the 3 of us) and its great for what it is but given the choice I would take OKW hands down.

Last edited:
We have done several family trips and found separate spaces was best. I’ve had connecting rooms, down the hall from each other and directly across the hall from each other and in December. I would definitely recommend onsite in December for the crowds.

We have done a trip with the pullout couches at SSR and it gets old folding in the bed for a place to sit every day! I would pick Pop, but the same type of rooms so you are closer to each other.

Another option might be two family Suites at ASMusic, or a family Suites and a room. Even two rooms, which would allow each mom her own room. You could use the family Suites as a gathering spot.

If you are going to be there literally for Christmas this year, I personally would not suggest staying offsite - unless it is a money issue. It will be so much more convenient to be onsite during the busiest time of the year. As far as the one room versus multiples ... it depends on how close you are when it comes to sharing space. Also, remember that with the two room option, rooms close to each other are not a guarantee ... so think if that would be an issue for your family.

I would NOT stay offsite during Christmas. Travel will not be pretty.

Under the circumstances, I would choose OKW> WE travel as extended family and we are good at sharing space. I think the grandmas in one room, your and your spouse in the other, adn the kids in the living area. Tip woudl be together during the holiday, which I htink will be comforting during a trying time.

If it's for THIS Christmas, there are no DVC 2 bedroom available. Anywhere. If it's NEXT Christmas, rent 11 months out to the day of your trip.

A single room for the three teens won't work since none are 18 or older. Connecting rooms are not guaranteed.

Did a multi-family trip a few years ago -- (DH & I) (stepson with wife and little kids) (DIL's parents). We got 3 rooms at Wilderness Lodge. Even though we were spread throughout the lodge, we found it wonderful to gather in the lobby. It was like we had a huge living room. WL is also one of the best (if not the best) decorated resorts at Christmas.

As someone said upthread, we are not close to DIL's parents so one suite would not have worked for us.

We have rented off-site a couple of times. The extra space is nice but coordinating cars to get back and forth from the parks was much more difficult. When we stayed at WL, everyone could come and go as they needed.

I also echo what someone above said about AoA suite + single will put you really far apart. Plus I think the themes at AoA might not appeal all that much for teenagers.

We picked Pop for our upcoming trip. AoA was $407 for a suite. Pop was $150/room. We reserved 2 rooms. If they connect, it'll be like an AoA suite for approximately $100 less per night. The new Pop redesign has a table bed + regular bed. We also have a plan if we don't connect but liked having real beds for everyone. The reviews on the table bed make them sound heavenly!

I researched the Music family suites for the large family trip. I thought the family suites were closer to single rooms than the AoA set-up.

Coronado Springs has suites. WL had a room or two that slept 6 -- not sure with the renovations if they still do. We also stayed at the Dolphin in I think they called it a junior suite. Stepson, DIL and grandkids had a very large room with a king bed, maybe a queen and fold-out couch -- can't remember the details. Their room connected to ours and we had 2 queen beds. But the Dolphin had various configurations and their connecting was guaranteed. Also Disney Springs hotels now have EMH and FP privileges and some bus services. Some of the DS hotels have suites and I'm sure connecting rooms as well. We didn't opt for them because I'm going to use an ECV and thought WDW buses would be better for that.

There are cash 2BR units via Disney. It is way too late for almost anything (especially GVs) via DVC rental for the remainder of 2018, and rental of DVC needs to be discarded as advice to give.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter