Two Diabetic Daughters

disneyrunner

I'm never growing up!
We are seasoned Disney veterans who have made three trips to WDW since the diagnosis of my youngest DD in 2001. Two weeks before Christmas my other daughter was diagnosed! :guilty: We refuse to give up our trips to our favorite place on earth and are planning a major trip in June 2006 ( only because we were just there in November). Have any of you had to coordinate two schedules for diabetics? Do you have any suggestions? Right now oldest DD is in the honeymoon and things are good but unfortunately we know that will end. Your comments will be appreciated.

Disneyrunner
I'm sorry I don't have any answers to your question in your post, but I just wanted to say how very sorry I am about your 2nd daughters diagnosis. My 7 year old daughter was just diagnosed on Feb 23rd. We have no family history so we were and are still in shock. We are going on the disney cruise in May so I have been trying to get as many tips for traveling with diabetes as I can. I have two other daughters as well and I am sure your heart must have sunk when your 2nd daughter was diagnosed. You sound like a seasoned veteran in both diabetes care and Disney World so I'm sur you'll work it out and have a great time.

Sincerely
Suzanne

MY DD is now 17 and was diagnosed with diabetes at 2 1/2 years old. We travel to WDW at least twice a year (summer and Christmas) and have never let her condition hinder her from having a good time. It is difficult at times but you make adjustments. The first aid centers in all the parks will let you store your insulin there so that you do not have to carry it through the parks with you or return to your hotel for injections. They will also supply you with a room for testing and injections. I have found that carrying the insulin pen has been a godsend for us. It does not need to be refrigerated and it is small enough to carry around.
If I can be of any further help, please feel free to send me a PM. As a side note, my DD has now decided that she is a vegetarian so eating in the parks has become a real adventure!

Most resorts now have refrigerators, and housekeeping will provide a sharps disposal container. As suggested above, insulin pens make life easier. If you require special meals, call Brenda at MAGIC KINGDOM Foods 407-824-5967 for info on all the Parks, and a special request form to be sent to chefs at each restaurant. Of couse, you must watch the exertion, heat and snacking, and find the perfect balance. Be prepared to have a great time.

Disneyrunner...

Just sent you a PM....we've also got 2 one also diagnosised in Dec...I"d be happy to chat ...

Kimball

My son was dx'd just after he turned 2 yrs old - a year ago yesterday actually. I'm very sorry to hear your other daughter was dx'd as well. I'm sure by the time you go to WDW next year you will be a pro at handling 2 with diabetes but right now it must be overwhelming.

William uses an insulin pump and if that is an option for you I highly recommend it. You won't have to worry about carrying insulin/syringes, etc into the parks (or anywhere else - we do keep those things in the room for emergencies, site changes, etc). He can eat like a normal kid and I had forgotten what that was like. Eating what he wants or on a schedule just isn't an issue anymore.

He also has a life threatening peanut allergy and other allergies so dining is sometimes a challenge. We hope to go in May and already the folks at disney have gone out of their way to be helpful...emailing me lists of peanut free items and calling me about other dining issues/questions we have.

I highly recommend the Children With Diabetes website at http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com - the chat rooms there are invaluable. And they have their annual conference THIS summer right at WDW at the CSR in July just after the 4th. Any chance you could make it? I went to their pumping conference in Washington, DC last labor day weekend and it was fantastic. Very inspiring to see all those kids having a wonderful time and doing a great job of dealing with diabetes. And your kids (if old enough) get to meet tons of other kids with D and the kids activities are fantastic - they never want to leave. They also have childcare for very young kids too - and siblings are welcome (D or non-D). Here is a link: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/orlando2005/

Suzanne - I'm so sorry you too are having to deal with diabetes. The first few months are overwhelming but it does get better. Please check out the CWD website - the chat room can be a life-saver! I also recommend the books "Sweet Kids" and "Understanding Diabetes" (the pink panther book). The entire text of that book is online at http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/ud10.html You can buy both at amazon.com among other places.

I'm also happy to have you pm me with any questions.

Disneyrunner...when you log back on don't forget to check your PM's

Zurgswife

Thanks for your support and comments. I am sorry it took so long to response but work and family commitments. Suzannef I know exactly how you feel. Neither my wife or I have any family history and now to have both of our daughters diagnosed. Hang in there because in our childrens lifetime there will be cure. PM me if you ever have any questions or simply wish to talk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter