• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Two Different Resorts for a group?

So I went back to re-read the advice requests and I saw this: "I would definitely plan to utilize the room at Pop for mid day breaks when we are in that area." So your little sister has her 'own room' but you are going to utilize her room for what? Naps? Showers?

The rooms at POP are quite small and I don't see how you could use them for breaks for 5 people unless you just plan on using the bathroom. If you're putting her in her own cheaper resort at least give her some privacy. Isn't privacy what this was about originally?

OKW will only have one bathroom in the one bedroom. BLT and AKV-Kidani one bedrooms will have two full bathrooms. All three of these will have one king bed, one queen sleeper sofa and a twin sized sleeper chair. Polynesian Villas will have a split bathroom. One side with tub/shower, toilet, sink. The other with shower. Polynesian Studios have one queen bed, one queen sleeper sofa and one bunk sized Murphy bed.

We have done this many times .... groups staying at different hotels because we had different likes, different budgets etc. It works out great and I actually would suggest it to groups. A little bit of private time is a good thing.

First rule is no meeting for breakfast, it puts too much pressure on. We always set a time to meet mid-morning in a park. Always lunch together so tend to book ADR for that and then evenings are left to be more flexible.

We have done this many times .... groups staying at different hotels because we had different likes, different budgets etc. It works out great and I actually would suggest it to groups. A little bit of private time is a good thing.

But was one person paying for everyone's resort in those cases? For me that is the clincher. The offer to pay for sister's resort BUT putting her at the lowest category while the family stays at the highest category. I *am* a sister, and I know that there are many times I'll go along with what my sister suggested even if I really don't agree just to keep the peace - and I'm pretty sure it's happened the other way around also. Yes, each family is different, but I think that the disparity in resorts/rooms is pretty obvious here. (And honestly the Pop thing sounds like just a way to have someplace to go on Epcot/Studios days without paying for an Epcot area resort like Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk if you ask me.)

But was one person paying for everyone's resort in those cases? For me that is the clincher. The offer to pay for sister's resort BUT putting her at the lowest category while the family stays at the highest category. I *am* a sister, and I know that there are many times I'll go along with what my sister suggested even if I really don't agree just to keep the peace - and I'm pretty sure it's happened the other way around also. Yes, each family is different, but I think that the disparity in resorts/rooms is pretty obvious here. (And honestly the Pop thing sounds like just a way to have someplace to go on Epcot/Studios days without paying for an Epcot area resort like Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk if you ask me.)

I didn't read whole thread so didn't see where she was planning on using sister's room .... I don't agree with that if she said it. Paying for it doesn't give you access to it.

But I don't have an issue of paying for her room elsewhere since the sister is getting the room for free. Yes, she could stay somewhere she can afford both rooms together and that would be nice but again she is offering sister a free room. Yes she could spend the money for a bigger unit so they can be together (which I would likely do) but we don't know their dynamics and that might not work for either.

My answer was yes (and I stand by it) that it is okay for them to stay at two resorts at two levels. If sister were coming and paying she might have had the budget for POP (which is not cheap) and chosen it anyway. OR if sister wants to pay the difference to stay somewhere else that is an option too. But I don't at all agree that she is owed a bigger fancier room and resort ... especially since she is one person and getting it for free.

So much different perspective on this, thanks again. I do honestly believe my sister doesn't have an issue staying elsewhere, but that may just be her being unaware of the massiveness that is WDW. She has not been since she was a kid so she probably doesn't know what she is agreeing to. I am currently looking into either a BLT 1 bedroom or an SSR 2 bedroom. Unfortunately I can't rent points for BLT, so that is quite the sticker shock. SSR would give us plenty of space, but nothing is walkable so that would also be a big adjustment.

So much different perspective on this, thanks again. I do honestly believe my sister doesn't have an issue staying elsewhere, but that may just be her being unaware of the massiveness that is WDW. She has not been since she was a kid so she probably doesn't know what she is agreeing to. I am currently looking into either a BLT 1 bedroom or an SSR 2 bedroom. Unfortunately I can't rent points for BLT, so that is quite the sticker shock. SSR would give us plenty of space, but nothing is walkable so that would also be a big adjustment.

I really do think she is being nice. Her options are to say yes or not go. If she doesn't know it well, then getting to the hotel, finding her room, using transportation to the parks, meeting up with you all, finding food at the resort, getting through securtity, etc. would all be so intimidating for a young person alone.

I would feel weird about giving someone a reservation at a value while I was staying at a deluxe, even though that's clearly more generous than not paying for their room at all.

But just for the record, I will always graciously accept a free reservation at any resort no matter where you happen to be staying.

The Wyndham Bonnet Creek has lovely 3-bedroom villas for less that you'll pay at the Polynesian and you'll all be together.

OP, go look at the photos of this place. If the pool area is open, your kids will be in heaven! I think they'd like it much more than the Poly. Little kids don't care about the 'niceness' of the deluxe resorts (the values are probably more appealing to them with the huge icons, etc).

The 3 bedroom at Wyndham seems perfect for you guys. And your sister can easily Uber if she's leaving earlier or later than you guys. And you want to use your car anyway because of your stroller, so on-site transportation shouldn't really matter. And your sister can still have special time with your kids, by taking the older one earlier or later to a park than you guys go, or take her to the pool area, stroll around the resort. But at night, you'd all be together, but with plenty of space, which I think is really nice.

I didn't read whole thread so didn't see where she was planning on using sister's room .... I don't agree with that if she said it. Paying for it doesn't give you access to it.

Third post in the thread.

OP, consider two rooms at Caribbean Beach. Or what I like to call "Polynesian lite."

The theming is similar, the rooms are nice, and you'd be at the main hub of the Skyliner station, so getting to HS and Epcot would be a breeze. You wouldn't have that sticker shock of DVC prices, but would still have plenty of privacy and space for everyone. I know pools aren't a priority but CB has a great pirate-themed pool for your kids, if you want to take advantage of that on one day.

Quick-service option is good there, plus you can walk to the Riviera and have Primo Piatto (their delicious QS) available to you if you'd like to mix things up.

The only drawback is CB's bus service to MK and AK. There are a number of internal stops, which can slow things down. But with the money you'd save, you could always spring for Uber/Lyft instead (though ride share drops off at the TTC at MK).

Just another thought, if you're reluctant to pay villa prices!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter