Two early-rising kids with autism...

jlcw14

Mouseketeer
Hi!!
We LOVE visiting WDW, and we LOVE camping!! But we have never combined the two!
We have two children with autism, and DS-16 is an early riser. He's improved with age, but still gets up around 6:30-7am and "chants" a little (he's mostly non-verbal), and we worry about disrupting fellow campers. We live just outside of the Adirondack park, so when we camp, we usually can pick out a more secluded site, and know the best sites at our favorite campgrounds. Our concern is, when we have seen pictures of the sites at FW, they look like they are pretty close to each other. Are they all this close? Can anyone recommend sites that would be more secluded?
When we visit WDW, he does tend to sleep better, because he's worn right out. We have a pop-up. Any hints, tips, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks!

First, welcome to the camping boards.

As for your question about secluded campsites, I would have to say there really aren't any at the Fort. Some loops definitely feel a bit more crowded than others, but there are no sites that are truly secluded.

In my opinion, the full hook up loops (1600-1900) feel the least congested. And, there are some sites in the 1100 loop that are pretty far apart.

When your son rises, is there any chance that someone would be around to take him on a golf cart ride, or go for a walk with him on one of the trails? There are plenty of places in the Fort where he could go and not bother other campers with noise early in the morning.

Good luck!

TCD

Hi!!
We have two children with autism, and DS-16 is an early riser. He's improved with age, but still gets up around 6:30-7am and "chants" a little (he's mostly non-verbal), and we worry about disrupting fellow campers. We live just outside of the Adirondack park, so when we camp, we usually can pick out a more secluded site, and know the best sites at our favorite campgrounds. Our concern is, when we have seen pictures of the sites at FW, they look like they are pretty close to each other. Are they all this close? Can anyone recommend sites that would be more secluded?
When we visit WDW, he does tend to sleep better, because he's worn right out. We have a pop-up. Any hints, tips, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks!

Our youngest, DS6, has autism. We are probably the loudest campers at the Fort and have never had a problem with neighbors becoming irritated with us. I am usually open with our neighbors about what is going on and will share a little about our situation. Autism is a great ice breaker. :laughing: People are usually very interested in your story and have lots of questions. The only real probs we have are with keeping our little darling from "escaping" . He is part Houdini and part Tasmanian Devil so you can imagine the behaviour we deal with too. :goodvibes

My best advice is don't sweat it. Most people, especially fellow campers, are fantastic, understanding and will lend a hand if needed. Just go and have a great time. Your kids will love camping at FW. I know mine do! ;)

When your son rises, is there any chance that someone would be around to take him on a golf cart ride, or go for a walk with him on one of the trails? There are plenty of places in the Fort where he could go and not bother other campers with noise early in the morning.TCD

Thanks for your help! We sleep with one ear open and are always up with him, so one of us definately would be able to do that. He loves to be outdoors and would very much enjoy a morning walk on the trail. In fact, we've considered upgrading to an ultralite TT, but it won't help much because he gets up, dressed, and wants to immediately be outdoors! Other than the chanting, he's a perfect camper! :flower3:

Thanks again!:thumbsup2

kampfirekim - Thanks so much! Its good to know that people are generally good about it. I know all about the eloping; DS used to try the disappearing act on us often! Thankfully he pretty much stopped about 4-5 years ago and keeps with us now, although I still don't feel confident to not look over to my side every 20 seconds, LoL!! DH and I did WDW without the kids in November, and I swear it took half our vacation before I stopped panicking and looking around constantly!

kampfirekim - Thanks so much! Its good to know that people are generally good about it. I know all about the eloping; DS used to try the disappearing act on us often! Thankfully he pretty much stopped about 4-5 years ago and keeps with us now, although I still don't feel confident to not look over to my side every 20 seconds, LoL!! DH and I did WDW without the kids in November, and I swear it took half our vacation before I stopped panicking and looking around constantly!

:lmao: I understand the panic attacks! LOL I look like I have a nervous tick most of the time because I am constantly jumping up and looking around. All I have to see is the little "gleem" in his eye and I know I'd better start running before he does if I'm even gonna have a shot at catching him. :rotfl:

As far as any odd quirky behaviors.....just don't worry about it. Most people are understanding and those who aren't just don't matter. ;) The important thing is that you and your family have a magical time at the Happiest Place on Earth. Last year my son was sitting on the curb of Main Street waiting on the 3:00 parade and was soooo overcome with excitement that he just bounced up and down on his bottom and finally shouted..."DISSY WURL!!!!" We nearly melted into a big old puddle right then and there!

Thanks for your help! We sleep with one ear open and are always up with him, so one of us definately would be able to do that. He loves to be outdoors and would very much enjoy a morning walk on the trail. In fact, we've considered upgrading to an ultralite TT, but it won't help much because he gets up, dressed, and wants to immediately be outdoors! Other than the chanting, he's a perfect camper! :flower3:

Thanks again!:thumbsup2

Well, if that's the case, then you will have no problems at all.

The Meadow Recreation Area, where the pool and campfire area are, is a big open area with a playground. It is centrally located, and your son could chant all he wants to there.

There are also nice walking paths on the East and West sides of the campground. These are far enough away from the campsites, that noise wouldn't be a factor.

The best place of all to visit would be the Settlement area. There are horses there. And a beach and playground. You could make as much noise as you want all around there, and not bother a soul.

If anyone is up for it, the exercise path between the Fort and Wilderness Lodge is also very secluded from any of the campsites. It's about a mile long, through beautiful forest. There is a spur that takes you out along Bay Lake. That's a great place to walk.

If you are out for a walk, all of these places can be reached by foot or golf cart.

Have a great time!

TCD

Most people are understanding and those who aren't just don't matter. ;)

Kim - I like your style, girl!! :thumbsup2 So cute about your DS' excitement at the parade! Isn't it great when they let us know we did something right?!?! Lol

TCD - Thanks so much - it sounds so great there; so much for him to do! Every time we visit, we end up chatting in a queue with folks who are staying at FW, and they are always so happy with the Fort. With so many loyal campers, we figure it must be a great place!

As a camper I would have absolutely no probelm at that time. I am up and out myself sippin' on coffee. To me, that is the best time to be out. That is when life wakes up in the woods.:thumbsup2

You could camp next to me any time. I hear nothing when I'm sleeping and my husband is half deaf. We also have two grandkids on the spectrum.

Hi!!
We have two children with autism, and DS-16 is an early riser. He's improved with age, but still gets up around 6:30-7am and "chants" a little (he's mostly non-verbal), and we worry about disrupting fellow campers.

You could be next to us, not an issue. He probably is less disruptive than some of the "inconsiderate" adults or "wild" unsupervised children that come to the FORT.

Hi!!

I say, Go for it!:thumbsup2 I think that camping is the greatest family activity ever. Our youngest son, Christian (15) is profoundly mentally handicapped and autistic. Like your son, he "sings"...and grinds his teeth...and whistles...and claps.:goodvibes We have taken him, literally, all over the U.S. It's the one activity that we can all enjoy.

Our youngest, DS6, has autism. We are probably the loudest campers at the Fort and have never had a problem with neighbors becoming irritated with us. I am usually open with our neighbors about what is going on and will share a little about our situation. Autism is a great ice breaker. :laughing: People are usually very interested in your story and have lots of questions. The only real probs we have are with keeping our little darling from "escaping" . He is part Houdini and part Tasmanian Devil so you can imagine the behaviour we deal with too. :goodvibes

My best advice is don't sweat it. Most people, especially fellow campers, are fantastic, understanding and will lend a hand if needed. Just go and have a great time. Your kids will love camping at FW. I know mine do! ;)

I agree with everything. We usually take Christian for a walk as soon as we get set up, partly to burn off some energy and partly to acclimate him and the other campers. You're right, autism is the great ice breaker. Everywhere we go we meet people who know someone with autism and want to share their stories. Christian is a "runner" too, and I always let the neighbors know so that if he gets away from us, they will (hopefully) not be shy about stopping him.

As a camper I would have absolutely no probelm at that time. I am up and out myself sippin' on coffee. To me, that is the best time to be out. That is when life wakes up in the woods.:thumbsup2

I feel the same way. I'd much rather hear an autistic person "chanting", "singing", or whatever their particular self-calming behavior is than to hear unruly kids or dogs at all hours.

Our son is autistic as well. However, the place he sleeps best is Disney World! He's so worn out from all the walking and heat - we have to wake him up whereas, normally at home he's up and at it by 6-7AM. Personally I don't have time to explain to everyone the in/outs of our sons autism and I don't try or worry about other people. I do try and be as respectful as possible. Just enjoy yourself and have a good time!

You guys are great! I'd love to camp next to all of you!! :flower3: Thanks so much for all of your help and support!!

I find that autism is far more understood by the general population than it once was. I have a nephew that is mildly autistic, and a friend that has a severely autistic son with turrets's syndrome. After 2 or 3 minutes around the friend's son, you acclimate yourself to his "chanting" (good word for it) and just tune it out.

I agree with TCD that there really aren't any secluded sites, but the 1700 & 1800 loops have the most spacious sites. If you were camped next to me, I'd have no problem at all. The only people your son would probably disturb early in the AM are those campers that kept you up at 2am with all their revelry. Turn about's fair play!! C'mon to the Fort & enjoy yourself!! You'll be glad you did!

The only people your son would probably disturb early in the AM are those campers that kept you up at 2am with all their revelry. Turn about's fair play!! C'mon to the Fort & enjoy yourself!! You'll be glad you did!

LoL...to be honest, I have taken this tact on other trips when we have teens/ young adults near us who think that campgrounds are perfect enviroments for keggers, lol!! I feel its only fair to show them the downside of that idea!:rolleyes1 Thanks for your support Debbie!

We are discussing with the rest of our traveling party that half of us (my family and my middle brother's family) will probably be camping on our next visit. We love to camp together all summer long. My parents and my other brother's family are not campers, but maybe they will rent a cabin. There will be six of them all together so - a perfect number! If not, they can stay at any other resort and we will meet up with them at the parks.

Welcome to the boards as you have seen there is wealth of knowledge here and as everyone has told you , don't worry just relax and have fun! We look forward to your trip report to catch a great TR check any of TCD's

Steve - I agree! There's nothing like the morning sun and a cup of coffee.:sunny::squirrel:

and a nice chant to get things started. ;) My son could dance along with the Spectrum Waltz.....

1...2....3... spin....flap...jump...1...2...3...spin...flap...jump.....:dance3:

If the trailer's rockin'....It just means Gabe is up! :goodvibes

I agree, wouldn't bother us. As a special education teacher, I probably wouldn't even notice. Oh, and I have a DD that is on the spectrum...guess what, I "forget" that what she does isn't "normal" because it is normal for her. Anyway, camping is great! Isn't it wild how WDW is the "perfect" place for kids with autism? My ODD's sensory disorder seems to calm when we are there, even though there is so much going on, weird! But, we love it!

Hope to see y'all there sometime, as we will hopefully be making our first trip down this year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter