• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Two new Disney Cruise Line ships could be coming in 2015 & 2016

Disney_Princess83

DIS Veteran
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/...magic-and-wonder-may-receive-major-makeovers/

Copied from the above link (not my article/site)

Ahoy landlubbers! I’ve just returned from four days at sea on the illustrious Disney Dream with news that’s making its way across all decks. According to multiple sources onboard, Disney Cruise Line is expected to make some big announcements soon regarding its current and future fleet of ships.

If the at-sea talk is true, Disney Cruise Line plans to add two new cruise ships, launching one in 2015 and one in 2016. The ships will reportedly be sized between the existing offerings, larger than the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, but smaller than the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy.

The staff aboard the Dream has been told there’s more to come from Disney Cruise Line soon. Every Cast Member I asked, from servers to cashiers to managers seemed to know something about it, some willing to elaborate on details, others only offering a smirk and a light-hearted, “Wouldn’t that be nice?” (I hear loose lips sink ships.) Many did ultimately give an affirming “yes” when asked if they knew of new ships coming to Disney Cruise Line.

But take this information with a grain of sea salt. Without official confirmation, specifics may not be accurate yet. Fortunately, that confirmation may not be too far away.

The announcement(s) could come as soon as two weeks from now as Walt Disney World prepares for its “Monstrous Summer” press event. Invitations recently sent out specifically name “Disney Cruise Line news” as being part of it. The event will take place April 25 and 26 and we’ll be there to follow up.

The timeframe is feasible. It took less than two years from the time construction began in Germany on the Disney Dream to the time the ship sailed its maiden voyage from Florida (though it was ordered from builder Meyer Werft two years prior to building). So it’s not unthinkable that Disney could have a new ship built within the next two years, for delivery into service by 2015 with another following a year later, much like the Fantasy did a year after the Dream – as long as construction begins soon.

The Magic and Wonder are also reportedly slated for major makeovers, adding further enhancements, likely during their upcoming scheduled dry docks. The (unofficial) Disney Cruise Line blog shared renderings back in January of what the older ship updates may soon include.

It certainly wouldn’t be the first time those two ships have been upgraded, having received a number of enhancements in the past, such as the addition of the Outlook Café to the Wonder in 2009. The Magic is scheduled for a short six-week refurbishment after the summer season ends with the Wonder’s update following next year.

The possibility of two new Disney Cruise Line ships would certainly make business sense, with thousands of guests sailing aboard the newest two ships every week. Disney Parks and Resorts received a 3% revenue increase in 2011 over 2010 as a result of the launch of the Disney Dream. And last year’s successful completion of the Disney Fantasy leaves the stateroom door wide open for future fleet expansion.

But the big question remains: What would Disney’s new ships be named? Following the tradition of Magic, Wonder, Dream, and Fantasy, perhaps the Disney Wish? Disney Sorcerer? Or even the Disney Princess? (Not to be confused with Princess Cruises, of course…)

Heard much about new cruise ships coming and really hope this is to be true. There is a big press event coming up at the summer disney press event and a huge part of this event has been dedicated to the cruise line. That being said i think we will see them announced this summer if this is true which I believe is true.

I wouldn't count on it - Disney has not been successful in filling their current ships - why would they build two more and have more empty rooms. The only other rumor I heard on the Magic in February was that Disney was considering selling the Magic and the Wonder and replacing them with two new ships. To me that would be the only thing that would make financial sense for them. I guess we will see - after all it is Disney - they tend to be very unpredictable!

I wouldn't count on it - Disney has not been successful in filling their current ships - why would they build two more and have more empty rooms. The only other rumor I heard on the Magic in February was that Disney was considering selling the Magic and the Wonder and replacing them with two new ships. To me that would be the only thing that would make financial sense for them. I guess we will see - after all it is Disney - they tend to be very unpredictable!

Why couldn't they spend the money on improving the parks??????

To answer the second question first, DCL and Parks & Resorts are run as separate business units. Expansion decisions in one are made fairly independently of the other (obviously when major capital outlays are involved there has to be some assurance that the cash is available, but for the most part, the decision comes from the business unit itself).

I don't know that it's accurate that DCL is sailing with a significant number of empty rooms. DCL overall still sails at above 90% of capacity. It is true that some ships/itineraries have sold slower than expected/hoped for. But they do eventually sell. There are some pretty compelling argument for adding the two new ships.

The Magic entered service in 1998 and the Wonder entered service in 1999, and neither has had a major refurbishment in the last 14-15 years. The Wonder got some refurbishment when it was refitted for the Alaska route. But both of those ships are due for strip-to-the-shell stateroom and public space refurbishments. The problem is, if you take one of those ships out for 6-9 months, and your fleet only has four ships, your capacity drops some 20%. That's a lot of revenue to leave on the table, especially while you're spending money on the refurbishment.

Consider, though, an alternative that involves Disney exercising it's existing option for two more Dream-class ships from Meyer Weft. The Magic could go in for an extensive refurb in 2015, just as Disney takes delivery of New Ship #1. Because the new ship is actually larger than the Magic, DCL sees an incremental increase in capacity (rather than a substantial decrease). As the Magic comes out of refurb, the Wonder goes in for refurb in 2016. Disney also takes delivery of New Ship #2. And again, rather than decreasing capacity during the refurbs, DCL again gets an incremental capacity increase. Finally, sometime in 2017, the Wonder comes out of refurb and DCL gets another incremental capacity increase.

Overall, DCL builds in room for slow and steady growth. Part of the problem with selling the Dream and Fantasy was that they more than doubled DCL's capacity over a very short time period. And the public didn't react as enthusiastically to the alternative home ports as DCL thought they would. But I really think some of that is a matter of time and market awareness. Even with a massive publicity campaign, I still had people saying, "Disney sails cruises out of Galveston??" Cruise vacations tend to get planned well in advance, so it takes some time in a given departure port for the public to catch on to the availability of DCL at that port. More ships enable DCL to cover more home ports on a longer-term basis (instead of moving ships around so much).

In any case, while it may not happen, I think that the logic behind such an expansion is much stronger than some people are giving it credit for.

To answer the second question first, DCL and Parks & Resorts are run as separate business units. Expansion decisions in one are made fairly independently of the other (obviously when major capital outlays are involved there has to be some assurance that the cash is available, but for the most part, the decision comes from the business unit itself).

I don't know that it's accurate that DCL is sailing with a significant number of empty rooms. DCL overall still sails at above 90% of capacity. It is true that some ships/itineraries have sold slower than expected/hoped for. But they do eventually sell. There are some pretty compelling argument for adding the two new ships.

The Magic entered service in 1998 and the Wonder entered service in 1999, and neither has had a major refurbishment in the last 14-15 years. The Wonder got some refurbishment when it was refitted for the Alaska route. But both of those ships are due for strip-to-the-shell stateroom and public space refurbishments. The problem is, if you take one of those ships out for 6-9 months, and your fleet only has four ships, your capacity drops some 20%. That's a lot of revenue to leave on the table, especially while you're spending money on the refurbishment.

Consider, though, an alternative that involves Disney exercising it's existing option for two more Dream-class ships from Meyer Weft. The Magic could go in for an extensive refurb in 2015, just as Disney takes delivery of New Ship #1. Because the new ship is actually larger than the Magic, DCL sees an incremental increase in capacity (rather than a substantial decrease). As the Magic comes out of refurb, the Wonder goes in for refurb in 2016. Disney also takes delivery of New Ship #2. And again, rather than decreasing capacity during the refurbs, DCL again gets an incremental capacity increase. Finally, sometime in 2017, the Wonder comes out of refurb and DCL gets another incremental capacity increase.

Overall, DCL builds in room for slow and steady growth. Part of the problem with selling the Dream and Fantasy was that they more than doubled DCL's capacity over a very short time period. And the public didn't react as enthusiastically to the alternative home ports as DCL thought they would. But I really think some of that is a matter of time and market awareness. Even with a massive publicity campaign, I still had people saying, "Disney sails cruises out of Galveston??" Cruise vacations tend to get planned well in advance, so it takes some time in a given departure port for the public to catch on to the availability of DCL at that port. More ships enable DCL to cover more home ports on a longer-term basis (instead of moving ships around so much).

In any case, while it may not happen, I think that the logic behind such an expansion is much stronger than some people are giving it credit for.

Completely agree!

Maybe having a cruise ship sail out of Galveston is a good way of getting people to the new Disney park opening in Texas. Hahaha, just kidding, though that would be a good hook. I think one of the smaller ships in the fleet would do good if it had a route which took people from the northeast, like New York, down to Florida. Perhaps they do, I'm not really up to date on their routes. Disney Wish and Disney Believe would be my names of choice.

~Celtic~

I totally agree:thumbsup2, except:

1. The amount of refit/work that can be done in the 6-7 weeks planned for the Magic next fall will be a lot more then people realize, more toward the refit you envision in 2015.

2. I don't believe any new ships with be the dream class, I believe they will be about 100,000 tons, to bring the comfort of the classic vessels and a larger size to have the new features of the dream class.

I have to agree with other posters that the announcement on April 26th will be about the Classic vessels refits and not 2 new vessels.

Time will tell.....shortly!

AKK

Maybe having a cruise ship sail out of Galveston is a good way of getting people to the new Disney park opening in Texas. Hahaha, just kidding, though that would be a good hook. I think one of the smaller ships in the fleet would do good if it had a route which took people from the northeast, like New York, down to Florida. Perhaps they do, I'm not really up to date on their routes. Disney Wish and Disney Believe would be my names of choice.

~Celtic~

For the NY/Baltimore to FL and the return route to avoid taxes, it would have to stop at 2 foreign ports. But it would not be that hard to stop at Castaway Cay and some other Bahamas Island.

I know I would enjoy not having to start my vacation with a body cavity search.

They're having trouble filling the 4 ships they have. I can't see them adding two new ships without disposing of the two classic ships.

And DCL is under the Parks & Resorts division.

They're having trouble filling the 4 ships they have. I can't see them adding two new ships without disposing of the two classic ships.

And DCL is under the Parks & Resorts division.

It a matter of placement and the better economy.

AKK

~I really hope Disney is building two more boats -- refurbishing two old boats is not "monstrous news", it's just news.

~I really hope Disney is building two more boats -- refurbishing two old boats is not "monstrous news", it's just news.

aaawwwwwwwe....... come on Dr.........the Magic and Wonder are just reaching middle age!...............they have a long ways to go........especially for those two classy ladies!

You do know why they refer to ships in the female gender???:rolleyes1

Its a old sea story.............that over time all things of grace and beauty are referred to in the female gender......EI ...ships and boats are girls!::yes::

there are other more.............shall I say *saltier * tales as well!:lmao:

AKK

I could easily see Disney building two ships slightly larger than the Magic and Wonder, but not nearly as large as the Dream and Fantasy.

I can see them basing a ship out of New York for the Spring, Summer, and Fall (Caribbean, Bermuda, 8 night Bahamas, New England/Canada 7 nights to include Boston or Bar Harbor, ME) and sending her to Galveston for the Winter.

Alaska has been extremely good for DCL - they have gone back to Alaska time and time again.

However, the Mexican Riviera never REALLY took off as much as it could have.

However, between Mexico and Alaska...and Hawaii - I think they could easily keep a ship solidly based on the West Coast with a few more extended cruises to Hawaii - they really could build a solid repeat business on the West Coast.

In addition to they need to keep the Dream and Fantasy based out of Port Canaveral to continue to milk the cash cow that has become 3,4,5 and 7 night cruises in the Bahamas and Caribbean.

If they keep the two new ships on the East Coast, based in Florida - and one ship based out of New York/Galveston seasonally - and then a ship based on the west coast.... that leaves the Med and Europe without a ship... AND with the growing Disney market, and growing economies in Asia - there could be a trans-pacific sailing.

Could they get into the river cruise market? Yes, in both Europe and China. Is it going to be profitable with only 1... or possibly two ships? That's totally up for debate. River cruises are a huge market right now.

There are hundreds of possible options that could lead to the presence of a 5th or 6th ship in DCL's fleet. If they want to continue to grow their business, prices can't continue to go up. I think Disney is charging too much (by at least 15%) already - and if they continue to raise prices, they are going to operate at a much lower occupancy.

With only two ships for well over 10 years, they had their profit margins finely tuned. Then they FAR more than double their capacity.... two new ships..... each 40% larger than their predecessors.

Disney is STILL trying to fine tune their marketing, promotion, and business model to accommodate the Dream and the Fantasy - and it has been just over two years with 4 ships on high seas... and they're still trying to figure things out.

Disney is going through some dark ages right now, IMHO. The rough economy really upended their marketing machine, and when they finally figured out the right balance - and started posting mega-profits, then along come changes to their business model - and new focus on individual guest profitability along with new investments in technology (which isn't going well....on the parks end of things...) Disney is still fighting to adapt to a digital age, instead of a mechanical age. A whole new generation of Imagineers who are computer geeks... not mechanical geeks.

It's going to be interesting to see what Disney announces later this month... but I think it is just going to be surrounding the dry dock of the Magic and possibly some info on the Wonder... but I don't think they are going to announce to NEW ships..... BUT that is mere speculation. They could have a new ship under construction already! HAHA

I wouldn't count on it - Disney has not been successful in filling their current ships

That is largely a product of the premium pricing. With Carnival's issues of late I'm not sure that is a bad thing.

Galveston is a fail mainly from Texas' schools' being reimbursed by the state based on attendance. 8 absences for the year are it or there are draconian consequences for most Texas school districts. Repeating the grade or significant fines being the stick. It is a $200 a day fine per student in our school district once you missed more than 2 days without a doctor's note. We had friends who budgeted $800 for attendance fines to enjoy low crowd periods at WDW. They justified it as it made it about the same cost as when school was out but much more enjoyable. The majority of the population for Galveston departures are from the state of Texas. East Coaster aren't flying to Houston over Florida to catch a cruise. 4-5 day Caribbean cruises to the Caymans and Cozumel that we've been flying to for 25 years isn't that appealing.

Being in Houston I'd love a Galveston, Key West/Castaway cay, Canaveral shuttle with a 5-7 days at WDW and catch the boat back to Galveston via Castaway/KW. We presently pay about $4-500 per person round trip for airfare.

That is largely a product of the premium pricing. With Carnival's issues of late I'm not sure that is a bad thing.

Galveston is a fail mainly from Texas' schools' being reimbursed by the state based on attendance. 8 absences for the year are it or there are draconian consequences for most Texas school districts. Repeating the grade or significant fines being the stick. It is a $200 a day fine per student in our school district once you missed more than 2 days without a doctor's note. We had friends who budgeted $800 for attendance fines to enjoy low crowd periods at WDW. They justified it as it made it about the same cost as when school was out but much more enjoyable. The majority of the population for Galveston departures are from the state of Texas. East Coaster aren't flying to Houston over Florida to catch a cruise. 4-5 day Caribbean cruises to the Caymans and Cozumel that we've been flying to for 25 years isn't that appealing.

Being in Houston I'd love a Galveston, Key West/Castaway cay, Canaveral shuttle with a 5-7 days at WDW and catch the boat back to Galveston via Castaway/KW. We presently pay about $4-500 per person round trip for airfare.

agree...the cruise industry has been racked by the last phoney bologna economic bubble....

the other cruise lines don't even bother with "regular pricing" on their own sites...they go straight for the cutthroat rates. royal caribbean advertises $349 cruises.

10 years ago...that would have been "$900" and they would have given you "deals to book"...then the rates would only get that low last minute.

disney seems to be the only one that still has the "normal" rates...perhaps costa on a smaller scale and some more upscale cruises...

that's why disney has had booking troubles...just as they are peeved at the general public's constant waiting for dining/steep room discounts at WDW that they have repeatedly fed them...they are probably getting some consumer lack of interest due to pricing for DCL.

by the way...the school system in texas sounds completely whack...just a completely unprofessional personal opinion:banana:

by the way...the school system in texas sounds completely whack...just a completely unprofessional personal opinion:banana:

Agree enough that we pay another $40K a year to put the kids in private.

Under funding by Governor good hair and teaching to the standardized tests are at the heart of the issue. Before his budget cuts 2 years ago our school district asked for 7 exceptions on class size caps after the cuts they asked for 789 exceptions. Also, had a teacher that did nothing but play videos during the 5 weeks after the TAKS(now STAAR) test to the end of the year as her bonus was based on her students' TAKS performance and nothing else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter